your view on SONY IV-300 5.1 HT system

Hi Friends,
I have gone through every post on this discussion. Thank you all for this nice knowledge sharing. Basically I can't differentiate between brass, distortion, other sort of terminologies. I only enjoy good sound.

I was planning to buy a HT for my living room 25x15 feet (LxB). Initially I was also attracted to Sony iv-300. Bcos it's just plug n play model. But after going through all your posts, I wanna take all your suggestions n expertise.

Please advise me a good HT with below requirements.

1. Buy once for all. I prefer to retain n upgrade my gadgets to maximum time. Useless buying now and then referring things out dated.

2. Best sound quality.
3. Maximum features hdmi, wifi connectivity, live streaming, screen mirroring, DTH, PS3, USB, hard drive connnectivity.
4. Elegant identical small speaker design.
5. Cost is no factor but still I will keep a cap of 50k. Not mandatory.

Importance of every point as per the sequence. For example. Sound quality is real factor so features can be bargained. Similarly, features are important so design can be overlooked.

Waiting for your model suggestions and support.

Thanks in well advance.

Regards,
Bala.

For your budget of 50K, I would advise you to go for Yamaha YHT 299 which would be available between 37-39K depending upon your luck. I am not sure whether it has airplay or not. If you want network enabled HT then you'll have to shell out more money and go separate way. For that the AVR cost itself would be around 40K and you need minimum 35K for speakers.
But for a limited budget option YHT 299 is the best bet.

My budget is maximum 25k INR and I hope Yamaha YHT-196 is better than Sony TT-IV300 in this budget range. But again, I guess Yamaha model lacks Bluetooth connectivity, Wifi, NFC, Miracast, etc. Correct me if I am wrong.

My budget is maximum 25k INR and I hope Yamaha YHT-196 is better than Sony TT-IV300 in this budget range. But again, I guess Yamaha model lacks Bluetooth connectivity, Wifi, NFC, Miracast, etc. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yamaha is way ahead of Sony in terms of sound quality. It's true that you wont get bluetooth connectivity,wifi,NFC, miracast and such fancy features in Yamaha.

Yamaha is way ahead of Sony in terms of sound quality. It's true that you wont get bluetooth connectivity,wifi,NFC, miracast and such fancy features in Yamaha.

Then how shall I play music via my android smartphone? I do not wish to keep my phone connected via any wire next to the setup.

Can I plug bluetooth dongle and get it work wireless?

Then how shall I play music via my android smartphone? I do not wish to keep my phone connected via any wire next to the setup.

Can I plug bluetooth dongle and get it work wireless?

Well i am not sure if the bluetooth dongle will or not.. Other alternative is to get a blu ray player with the features that u are looking for and connect it to yamaha avr.. I am not sure of nfc.. But there are lots of blu ray players with wifi and bluetooth connectivity..

Thanks,
Sandeep

Hi bpranay - While I can understand Yamaha being better...in terms of parallel comparison (entry level to entry level models), however, YHT196 being Yamaha's entry and IV300 or E3200 for that matter..are comparatively mid level models of SONY. Should they be better in that comparison....

pls dont mind...but what I hear in this forum is like even SONY's 50K-60K HT system is crap against Yamaha/Onkyo's entry system...just because the name is SONY :)

Hi bpranay - While I can understand Yamaha being better...in terms of parallel comparison (entry level to entry level models), however, YHT196 being Yamaha's entry and IV300 or E3200 for that matter..are comparatively mid level models of SONY. Should they be better in that comparison....

pls dont mind...but what I hear in this forum is like even SONY's 50K-60K HT system is crap against Yamaha/Onkyo's entry system...just because the name is SONY :)

Hi Anurag,

To believe it I would request you to go and visit the Yamaha/onkyo/denon/pioneer dealership nearby and compare it yourself so that it'll give you better idea of what is what since sound is a subjective issue.

I have a question for technical persons. I have recently bought Sony HT-IV 300 (Delivery Pending). I have seen that the front speakers are of 3 ohms, which means the amplifier can drive 3 ohms speakers. I have a pair of old Sony speakers, which I want to connect as the front speakers to the Sony IV-300. These old speakers are of 4 ohms. I have read on the internet that 1 ohms difference should not cause much problem except a slight decrease in sound volume. I will use this system for 2-3 years, after which I am planning to buy an AV Receiver so, long term damage is not my concern. Please advise.

Last edited:
I have a question for technical persons. I have recently bought Sony HT-IV 300 (Delivery Pending). I have seen that the front speakers are of 3 ohms, which means the amplifier can drive 3 ohms speakers. I have a pair of old Sony speakers, which I want to connect as the front speakers to the Sony IV-300. These old speakers are of 4 ohms. I have read on the internet that 1 ohms difference should not cause much problem except a slight decrease in sound volume. I will use this system for 2-3 years, after which I am planning to buy an AV Receiver so, long term damage is not my concern. Please advise.
Why do you want to use the old speaker pair?[emoji50]
It may not make much of a difference, volume-wise, but it's better to stick to the same type of speakers for front center and surround for proper balance (although it can be probably compensated by making adjustments in the IV300 system). Also the IV300 manual specifically discourages use of any other speaker with this system.

I have auditioned Sony IV-300, YHT 196 and YHT 299 today in reliance digital....

Sony IV-300 is good in its price range how ever you cant compare to yht 196....It distorts after 50% Audio level.

I didn't clearly noticed any difference between YHT 196 and 299, they played some tracks they have on demo cds and connected the bluray to receiver via coaxial and also the guys didn't know much about them....as newbie I learned few basics before I went to audition

The Prices are YHT 196 @ 26990 - Free Bluray Player with 6690
YHT 299 @ 37990 - Free Bluray Player with 6690
IV300 @ 19490 - No Freebies

I have auditioned Sony IV-300, YHT 196 and YHT 299 today in reliance digital....

Sony IV-300 is good in its price range how ever you cant compare to yht 196....It distorts after 50% Audio level.

I didn't clearly noticed any difference between YHT 196 and 299, they played some tracks they have on demo cds and connected the bluray to receiver via coaxial and also the guys didn't know much about them....as newbie I learned few basics before I went to audition

The Prices are YHT 196 @ 26990 - Free Bluray Player with 6690
YHT 299 @ 37990 - Free Bluray Player with 6690
IV300 @ 19490 - No Freebies

Can you tell us which city you have searched these prices? Is there free Bluray player with YHTs?

Can anyone from Delhi tell me where to buy this. I checked in Reliance retail but it was not available.

Also I was thinking about buying Yamaha NS-P40 instead of YHT. Because I don't need a "system" as already have PS3 which will take care more or less my requirement. I just need speaker systems.

Can anyone tell me if purchasing an AVR/Amplifier(YHT-196) add value to the "sound" quality comparing to only speaker system(NS-P40)? I compared the technical specification of speakers from YHT-196, the specifications are 99% same as of NS-P40.

I bought YHT-196 on Sunday from Reliance digital delhi. Its lying at my place unboxed. Reliance digital guy will come and install it on Saturday as on weekdays its not possible for me to get it installed.

Just curious to know whether the Reliance digital guys are well equipped with providing me all the information I need from them. It would have been better if Yamaha technician would have come for installation and demo.

Need inputs from people who have got it installed.

Hi,

I bought HT-IV300 and found performance is excellent. Especially its ability to convert 2 channel sound to 5.1

I guess most of the home theater perform nice with 5.1 source file but it doesn't handle 2 channel effectively.

If budget is a factor you can surely go for this. (NFC,Screen Mirroring - all sound will be converted to 5.1)

@dear all,
my straight and honest review using Sony HT IV300 from last 3 months.
What I play on HT IV300..?
1. Music (high quality mp3s tracks @ 320kbps covering all genres eg:rock,house,trance,dubstep,jazz,fusion,blues..etc)
2. High quality videos (min 720p BRrips, ac3, dts,DD5.1)

What I like in HT IV300?
1.good connectivity options, Inputs : 2 HDMI (only HDMI 1 is ARC (audio return channel) support , 1 Coaxial,1 RCA,1 Video, Bluetooth,NFC(near field communication) and wireless connectivity(for firmware upgrades, can also be upgraded by USB),screen mirroring and FM (external antenna cable is supplied), Output: 1 HDMI only
2. Sound Modes (especially "Music Arena" and "Digital Music" modes) best for low quality audio tracks
3. Compact in size (easy for frequent tenants)
4. Decodes various audio/video codecs
5. Overall pricing

What I don't like: (note: i am a sound freak)
1. Quality of sound is not upto the mark especially with audio tracks
2. Works well for Indian genre of sounds
3. not really recommended for genres like Rock, House, Trance...etc
4. Bass is too boomy not punchy (I believe "bass has to be FELT not to be HEARD")
5. does a very poor job handling mid frequencies (cant expect more from satellite speakers)

Overall, as said by Sony India this can be a perfect fit/match for HD setup boxes than to use it as a home theatre, because its made for Setup boxes..

Note: i tested HT IV300, only with HD video/audio content through a blueray player with proper HDMI I/O's

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back