1 lakh rs stereo vs avr in bi-amp.

lalit09

Hi guys, was just thinking which one will give more depth in music. Comparing a 1 lakh rs stereo amp vs equivalent ab reciever in bi-amp mode.
What do all think?

Hi guys, was just thinking which one will give more depth in music. Comparing a 1 lakh rs stereo amp vs equivalent ab reciever in bi-amp mode.
What do all think?
A good stereo amp which can provide power at least at 4 ohms.

Also depends if you are using a subwoofer or not. But even then I would tell that stereo amp will sound better.

Only benefit a avr will give is EQ. And it's use vary from room to room.

A good stereo amp which can provide power at least at 4 ohms.

Also depends if you are using a subwoofer or not. But even then I would tell that stereo amp will sound better.

Only benefit a avr will give is EQ. And it's use vary from room to room.
For acoustically unbalanced room and improper placement would avr room correction be crucial?

Last edited:
These appear rather hypothetical questions. I think you need to get more factual here.
What exactly are you looking for? What is the room like and acceptable placement options?
Schematics or pics would be most helpful.

My setup, have marantz 6012, dynaudio is sold , sub is to be sell , willing to fit tower there for pure 2 channel.
Its 14 * 12.4 size bed room.trying to fit tower in it.
Cannot put tower more than 9 inch from wall and can't even make proper triangle.

Attachments

• IMG-20181026-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20181026-WA0010.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 45
Ah, you need to start from the beginning. What made you sell the bookshelves and the sub?
What did you feel was missing?

I use to keep sub off music mode, personally i usually dont like subs for music.
And then it has been bookshelf always, so wanted to try tower in pure 2.0 setup for music.

What do all think?

Depends and it may not be a single answer.

If you consider present date 1lakh AVRs for the ongoing exchange rate of INR and USD then answer is straight no. Including your own AVR too, I am sorry. But that is until a point if you start comparison A-B with a equally priced AMP otherwise if you are not finicky about what you are hearing, you may get along well with this AVR and any high sensitivity speakers. This way you are increasing your AVR s capabilities to supply transient power peaks when required to produce good dynamics. Bass will also be taken care with speakers itself I am hoping unless you continuity subs, which, many around the world does depending on their listening preferences. After all this gears were invented for a purpose. Nowadays some speakers come with active bass modules too. If required go for 2 subs as your AVR is 9.2 if your towers are not sounding enough by themselves.

Now, the other scenario, the moment you start considering used gears the equation changes. Example, recently visited our FM Rajneesh for a demo of his open baffles which he is driving with Yamaha Z1 AVR in stereo mode. Brilliant sound, will put many modern day hyped muscles to shame and is regarded as one of the best flagship AVRs for music of all time. Dynamics, details are very good, and he purchased the same for less than 40K. So this is a subjective scenario and will depend on your chain and the genre of course

For my money, I would buy a reasonable avr with the requisitive features with pre amp outputs at least for front L&R channels. And then stick a power amp to those pre outs.

Now with the EQ offered by the avr, and power by the power amp, should sound better than using a single avr or a single stereo amp. Plus plug in a sub into your avr, and once properly setup, should beat a lot of towers for the same money.

I feel that you posted this query a little late. All you needed was to stick a poweramp to the marantz. And then bought a audyssey multieq app, and then limited audyssey correction in the marantz to just 250hz. Anyways is there any way to get your dyn's back. They were some great speakers you just sold. But they definitely need a lot more power than the marantz can muster. A proper 100W is a minimum. And 150W even better. An addition of a crown power amp could have transformed your system. But anyways probably too late now. I will stop rubbing salt on the wound now

Hi again lalit...

9 inches from rear wall definitely rules out any rear ported floorstanders from the equation. You will have to consider front or bottom ported speakers. Some tannoy's come to mind :)

Secondly as haisaikat correctly mentioned , please consider high sensitivity speakers when planning to run off an avr. Pairing low sensitivity speakers with a multichannel avr is a recipe for disaster.

I know i sound like the bearer of bad news. But i use a marantz sr6011. So I know the ability that lurks in those boxes. So if you are patient and willing to go second hand, there will be some good kit coming up used from time to time. If I see anything that looks like a good match or a good deal I will ping you. Fondly hope that makes up for sounding like a villain in both my posts :D

Hi again lalit...

9 inches from rear wall definitely rules out any rear ported floorstanders from the equation. You will have to consider front or bottom ported speakers. Some tannoy's come to mind :)

Secondly as haisaikat correctly mentioned , please consider high sensitivity speakers when planning to run off an avr. Pairing low sensitivity speakers with a multichannel avr is a recipe for disaster.

I know i sound like the bearer of bad news. But i use a marantz sr6011. So I know the ability that lurks in those boxes. So if you are patient and willing to go second hand, there will be some good kit coming up used from time to time. If I see anything that looks like a good match or a good deal I will ping you. Fondly hope that makes up for sounding like a villain in both my posts :D

How much sensitive speakers are we talking about? How much power are we planning to feed them? I think we should revisit amp power to speaker sensitivity chart. This is for reference:

https://www.chuckhawks.com/speaker_spl_amp_power.htm

Depends and it may not be a single answer.

If you consider present date 1lakh AVRs for the ongoing exchange rate of INR and USD then answer is straight no. Including your own AVR too, I am sorry. But that is until a point if you start comparison A-B with a equally priced AMP otherwise if you are not finicky about what you are hearing, you may get along well with this AVR and any high sensitivity speakers. This way you are increasing your AVR s capabilities to supply transient power peaks when required to produce good dynamics. Bass will also be taken care with speakers itself I am hoping unless you continuity subs, which, many around the world does depending on their listening preferences. After all this gears were invented for a purpose. Nowadays some speakers come with active bass modules too. If required go for 2 subs as your AVR is 9.2 if your towers are not sounding enough by themselves.

Now, the other scenario, the moment you start considering used gears the equation changes. Example, recently visited our FM Rajneesh for a demo of his open baffles which he is driving with Yamaha Z1 AVR in stereo mode. Brilliant sound, will put many modern day hyped muscles to shame and is regarded as one of the best flagship AVRs for music of all time. Dynamics, details are very good, and he purchased the same for less than 40K. So this is a subjective scenario and will depend on your chain and the genre of course

FM's requirements are 2 channels only. AFAIK no commercial AVR at 1 lakh price point provides discrete linear power. Better/cleaner the power better the SQ. Doesn't matter what speaker or other electronics are in chain. For sub integration a professional xo is available at 12-13k price point with linkwitz rieley filter along with variable slopes.

How much sensitive speakers are we talking about? How much power are we planning to feed them? I think we should revisit amp power to speaker sensitivity chart. This is for reference:

https://www.chuckhawks.com/speaker_spl_amp_power.htm

Thanks for that link saikatbiswas...

I have a 25W @ 8ohms bluesound powernode that runs the 90db qacoustics concept40's to unbearable volume levels. But then it is unbearable in every sense of the word :)

Apart from the heady power figures quoted for avr, I would be surprised if they even have 30W per channel, with all channels driven.

I run my small HT setup at the maxed out volume of 85db. My marantz sr6011 doesnt go beyond this volume level. And anyone might think that I must be crazy to use these volume levels. But trust me it doesnt feel loud. And that is because there is no distortion. It is distortion that gives induces the feeling of loudness, not absolute SPL's. I couldn't reach these volume levels with the inbuilt power of the marantz. With the marantz alone I couldn't push beyond 75db, without feeling it too loud. But now with external power Amps in place, I go to 85db. And I feel I can stand more

So all those quoted power figures for desired SpL on paper are fine. But dont expect that from an AVR. The lower we run a amp from its peak power rating, the better it sounds, not to mention reserves of available dynamic headroom. And that is the reason I always suggest pairing sensitive speakers with AVR's, unless someone wants to add external power down the line.

And coming to dyn's. You can read several reviews of the dyn emit series. Their emit 20, lazily wakes up at 100W. So not an ideal match with a 9 channel avr.

FM's requirements are 2 channels only. AFAIK no commercial AVR at 1 lakh price point provides discrete linear power. Better/cleaner the power better the SQ. Doesn't matter what speaker or other electronics are in chain. For sub integration a professional xo is available at 12-13k price point with linkwitz rieley filter along with variable slopes.

He already seems to own a 1 lakh priced AVR, that's why he posted it seems. If someone starts from scratch they may start the other route considering AVR design constraints.

Sub or not sub is preferential and yes there may be several ways to achieve that including the likes of crown amplifiers that come with built in cross-overs like newlash09 has rightly suggested.

Further for bi-amping there are power amps with inbuilt multichannel active cross overs but finding the right ones (used) may be chance and on preference per personel.

The OP now needs suggestions to reuse his AVR for stereo and utilise the room EQ too unless he is looking to sell off that too.

For my money, I would buy a reasonable avr with the requisitive features with pre amp outputs at least for front L&R channels. And then stick a power amp to those pre outs.

Now with the EQ offered by the avr, and power by the power amp, should sound better than using a single avr or a single stereo amp. Plus plug in a sub into your avr, and once properly setup, should beat a lot of towers for the same money.

I feel that you posted this query a little late. All you needed was to stick a poweramp to the marantz. And then bought a audyssey multieq app, and then limited audyssey correction in the marantz to just 250hz. Anyways is there any way to get your dyn's back. They were some great speakers you just sold. But they definitely need a lot more power than the marantz can muster. A proper 100W is a minimum. And 150W even better. An addition of a crown power amp could have transformed your system. But anyways probably too late now. I will stop rubbing salt on the wound now
Thank you, yes i almost overlooked the possibility of adding a power amp rather than changing to stereo amp.
Adding a power amp should be equally good, is it?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back