> = 100 inch screen for < = 10K - LED Projector avail in India - Discussion thread..

Re: > = 100 inch screen for < = 10K - LED Projector avail in India - Discussion threa

What you pay is what you get.

Quality matters to some people always. And there's another term called 'compromise'.

Even I don't have a budget to go for a 'good' projector as of now.

Again, the term 'good' varies from person to person.

Not true.

I picked up a full HD native resolution Optoma projector for less than 40K INR from the US.

There is nothing like that in that price range around these parts. Locally, most folks will pay 2 to 3 times more and still be getting less on the performance front. So it is not always "what you pay is what you get".

Projectors as such, other than the likes of Wolf, are not terribly expensive around the world.

Re: > = 100 inch screen for < = 10K - LED Projector avail in India - Discussion threa

Posting stuff that has been posted elswhere -
The PJ i got had an awful picture quality. reds were blown up on faces, contrast was exxagerated, i couldnt get the tints right, and the settings kept getting reset every restart.
(I knew about the brightness issue and was fine with that)

then i remembered playing around with my graphics card options in college, and remembered some very relevant settings.
There was one to take care of the red face tints, induvidual gamma for each colour + overall picture, reduced bit depth.. after a fair amount of tweaking the picture was surprisingly good, with the only issue being the limited resolution made worse by the screen door lcd effect.

I understand that a lot of people say that this is not worthy of comparison with mainstream projectors, but imagine a speaker which costs a fraction of hifi speakers, crappy out of the box sound, but with some eq, can give 99% of a proper hi fi speaker.
Is it all that bad? yes it needs some effort, but hey, if it didn't, they'd have priced it higher :/

If I was to buy a Chinese projector then I would save and go for the ones I listed in my post. I have done a lot of research on these Chinese brands, especially the options available in India, in the end though I bit the bullet and bought an Epson WUXGA projector. This is from their business line but for me does HT work very well. So far I have achieved something akin to a 80" screen, the thing is and this is true for most aspects of life, what you do not know can not hurt you. Why I say that? Once you have enjoyed a Bluray on that level of clarity, even 720p content fails to satisfy you.
if I had not seen the Epson perform then I was very very willing to get the Excelvan or LED 86 models. During the amazon sale even placed an order for the Egate equivalent available here, Amazon dropped the ball and lost the package, ultimately it worked out for the better for me. I got fed up of waiting and bought the Epson, I am for sure better for it.

I tried to assume the PQ available from these Chinese ones with extensive scanning of YouTube and user testimonials. There was one video where at a trade fair the Chinese company HTP had a booth, their person at the booth gave a very frank interview. According to him they ship out more than 25000 units per month, that the quality of the projectors are of 'OK' standard, the LED source will last for at least 20000 hrs but other components may fail in 18 months or so, not saying they will fail but they just might. Then again there are user here who have been using these PJs for over 3-4 years without issues, like all things Chinese (at least the from the cheaper spectrum) it is somewhat a hit and miss affair. So if you are thinking if I am to take a hit then let it be on 5K rather than 15, you are justified, whether the product will satisfy you or not, we will wait and watch.

Elango congrats on the purchase, waiting now to see what kind of picture it is projecting.

again we are talking about projectors costing around 4000 and 10feet screen costing 3000. Unfair to compare them to Epsons and Benqs. True "philes" will not buy these. But there are plenty of us for whom 7K might not be a big deal but at the same time dont have the time nor the space to buy a proper projector and proper screens. I myself am a good example...have an acer 5380 from US and a liberty grandview. Then I got the projector wall mounted..so now I got a professional setup but rarely have time to switch it on - i watch a movie once in two months.

Hence this setup is only for those who want to start on the cheap or want to experiment. Eventually they will shift to 720p or 1080p ones costing atleast 50K. Till then 7K for a projector+screen combo isnt that bad.

Just on a side note, a chinese projector might show a parrot in blue color. But your mother might think this is some kind of a blue bird and still enjoy the artificial colored 480p video!

Elango congrats on the purchase, waiting now to see what kind of picture it is projecting.

Thx shibashis.. Haven't received the projector screen yet.. Right now projecting on a 6 feet wide wall, painted ivory colour.. Didn't get much time to tweak the settings, will share pics in detail when i get the screen clicked with a good digital camera.. btw this is for my younger brother..

Congrats on your Epson PJ, what was the cost?

I haven't taken demo of any PJ, never considered them seriously.. This experience will set expectation for the next one..

Some help required in getting the right resolution.

Connected the PJ with my brother's PC that has a Zotac Nvidia Gt610 basic card and the lowest possible resolution is 800 x 600 in the windows screen resolution.. Can't get any lower than that..

I thought, i could adjust it in Nvidia control panel..But 800 x 600 seems to be least possible resolution..

When playing movies thru kodi, i was able to select resolution of 800 x 480 under video settings.. The resolution output being different in windows & Kodi, and when watching movies, does the kodi resolution supersede windows resolution?

Found one, projector + small screen!..........here is the link:

Buy Egate I9 Projector 1500 Lumens + Free Universal Projector Screen 6 X 4 Feet Online at Best Price in India on Naaptol.com

Naaptol seems to have a lot of budget projectors, so guys take a look.

Posted it another thread as I could not find this thread, and got booted off by Saikat! :) (serves me right!!!)

Never mind Vinod... Wc to this thread..

There are few FM who have used UNIC projector for 4K and it seems be good.. I have recently purchased the UNIC 46 projector, yet to get PJ screen..Will share my experience soon..

You will find lot of LED projector on amazon.in between 5 - 10K... Try to read actual user reviews/ watch you tube videos to get some understanding..

If you have a regular 6 - 8 feet wall and a room that you can make near dark, these will simply work.. Reliable? - Not sure, Only time will tell..

Thanks Elangoas,

I was looking at these and was wondering if it can be used for normal TV viewing. Anyway cable channels do not have anything close to 1080p so why bother with a uber expensive PJ or TV. This should be fine too.

Only 4K/blu ray discs require such high end devices. As of now, 4K sources are minimal so why bother with expensive PJ or TVs.

Just voicing my thoughts that is all, no offense meant to anyone.

I was looking at these and was wondering if it can be used for normal TV viewing.

Yes.. In my view that is best how you can put it use to.. If it can do any good for movies, even better..

SD broadcast is still 480i/p, which matches the native resolution of these LED projector.. So it should work perfectly fine, provided you take the effort for creating the reqd enviorment

Didn't get much time to tweak settings..Just tweaked few of them..

- Turned off the colour mode settings, used colour preset "Movie"
- PJ connected to PC via HDMI 1280 x 720 resolution. Under Kodi too, the resolution was set to 1280 x 720.
- PJ to screen distance - 10.5 feet
- Diagnol screen size in 16:9 format - 106 inches on 8 x 6 feet screen.

Here are some pics of the UNIC46 LED projector, captured by NIKON COOLPIX S8200 point & shoot camera in Night mode & Macro shots..

Below image - Luzon Dzire 8 x 6 feet pull down screen.

1jvymv.jpg

Below image - Readability, sharpness of text in near dark room

332qjcz.jpg

Below image - Readability, sharpness of text in a room with 2,500 Lumens of light (28W tube light, behind the projector)

2ns9vnr.jpg

Below images of BR Rips, either 720/1080p

fda6bp.jpg

Below image - Red's any good (or) does it look excited ?

4r6kac.jpg

Below image - Sharpness of text (subtitles)

bgchmf.jpg

Deep Blacks :p

2wna2ch.jpg

Deep Blacks :p

2eozn6e.jpg

1zv4guu.jpg

2d93g39.jpg

I will try to share images of SD 480p 4:3 Aspect ratio, and 1080i HD channels next weekend..

Do you think it is worth 5K ?

Last edited:
Re: &gt; = 100 inch screen for &lt; = 10K - LED Projector avail in India - Discussion threa

Didn't get much time to tweak settings..Just tweaked few of them..

- Turned off the colour mode settings, used colour preset "Movie"
- PJ connected to PC via HDMI 1280 x 720 resolution. Under Kodi too, the resolution was set to 1280 x 720.
- PJ to screen distance - 10.5 feet
- Diagnol screen size in 16:9 format - 106 inches on 8 x 6 feet screen.

Here are some pics of the UNIC46 LED projector, captured by NIKON COOLPIX S8200 point & shoot camera in Night mode & Macro shots..

Below image - Luzon Dzire 8 x 6 feet pull down screen.

1jvymv.jpg

Below image - Readability, sharpness of text in near dark room

332qjcz.jpg

Below image - Readability, sharpness of text in a room with 2,500 Lumens of light (28W tube light, behind the projector)

2ns9vnr.jpg

Below images of BR Rips, either 720/1080p

fda6bp.jpg

Below image - Red's any good (or) does it look excited ?

4r6kac.jpg

Below image - Sharpness of text (subtitles)

bgchmf.jpg

Deep Blacks [emoji14]

2wna2ch.jpg

Deep Blacks [emoji14]

2eozn6e.jpg

1zv4guu.jpg

2d93g39.jpg

I will try to share images of SD 480p 4:3 Aspect ratio, and 1080i HD channels next weekend..

Do you think it is worth 5K ?
Which camera you're taking the images from? Change to DSLR in a pitch dark room, with bluray disc as source if possible, and post pictures.

If I have to opine on the basis of given pictures ;
I think you need to tinker with brightness, gamma settings and focus it properly ; the 3 edges have a blackish hallow when compared to the center. The center seems to be more bright than edges.
The color is more saturated but the sharpness is brilliant for the price. Color reproduction is adequate, the skin tones & sky look natural enough. Other than that mismatch of darkness between center and edges (which is bothering) you can't really complain at this price point. Let us know.

Last edited:
> = 100 inch screen for < = 10K - LED Projector avail in India - Discussion threa

Which camera you're taking the images from?

Nikon Point & shoot camera.

Change to DSLR in a pitch dark room,

Don't own them (or) have access to..

with bluray disc as source if possible, and post pictures.

Nope.. Don't have BD.. Will post images with ISO file types.

If I have to opine on the basis of given pictures ;
I think you need to tinker with brightness, gamma settings and focus it properly ; the 3 edges have a blackish hallow when compared to the center. The center seems to be more bright than edges.
The color is more saturated but the sharpness is brilliant for the price. Color reproduction is adequate, the skin tones & sky look natural enough. Other than that mismatch of darkness between center and edges (which is bothering) you can't really complain at this price point. Let us know.

Yes.. Your observations are true..

I tried to capture some different pictures from movies, but i couldn't get it precise on the screen to click it.. Don't have a tripod to get the position right..

The bottom right hand picture is where it gets smeared more than the other corners.. I tried adjusting the focus, moved the PJ some inches back & forth to see if it could get any better, but it didn't..

Anyways this is noticeable when you have 16:9 content displayed, with 21:9 movies, the black bars on the top & bottom cover these defects, and you get a reasonably good picture on screen..

Sure, it is not as sharp as one would expect it to be, but still good in 21:9.

I will try to play some 480p 4:3 content, which should be good.. Will share some more pics with tweaked settings..

I'd still suggest that you borrow a bluray player (a PS3 would do too) and do it if possible, otherwise bluray iso ~ almost 8gb would suffice too. Currently you're using Netflix videos I believe, which may not be adequate due to streaming issues.
There are many projector testing clips on YouTube (download at highest quality and play don't stream) you can consider that too. Benq and optoma come with test patterns built in I don't know about UC.

Apart from brightness disparity which is glaringly visible, there's a loss of sharpness and contrast as you go towards the edges.
1. Use a bluray disc to adjust, I always follow that rule whenever I'm tinkering with projector settings. Or other options I've suggested. I connect bluray directly to the projector by passing the receiver many times during tinkering.
2. Use a DSLR or iPhone for pictures, mainly because its results are universally comparable for neutral observers.
3. Also projector screen doesn't have any in built light source, most of it is reflected light, so pictures will not tell the actual story, they'll be below par from what's visible. So don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure it'll be much better than what it appears from the pictures.
4. If possible try a HD broadcast of sports and adjust settings according to the natural grass color etc..
5. Don't bother about the screen size, I'd suggest that you move the projector more near to the screen and see if these anomalies disappear. They mostly do disappear if you move it near - though the Manfacturers promise 200" picture sizes in reality its not so. Compromise on screen size for quality.
6. I doubt if your projector supports ISF formats that helps in some cases if your receiver is capable.

Finally, keep experimenting till you get a satisfactory picture at least during the no question asked return window of Amazon. Keep us updated.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your suggestions & inputs..:thumbsup: for a newbie like me, these pointers help a lot..

I'd still suggest that you borrow a bluray player (a PS3 would do too) and do it if possible, otherwise bluray iso ~ almost 8gb would suffice too. Currently you're using Netflix videos I believe, which may not be adequate due to streaming issues.
There are many projector testing clips on YouTube (download at highest quality and play don't stream) you can consider that too. Benq and optoma come with test patterns built in I don't know about UC.

The files that i have are some decent ones, 720p/1080p BR Rips which vary in size between 3GB - 5GB, depending on the movie length and lossy surround codec's.. Never explored the option of Netflix and or any other streaming..

I have some movies in *.iso and *.m2ts files that are very huge >30GB, contain lossless audio and almost a replica of BD..

So sure.. Will try with higher quality files..

Apart from brightness disparity which is glaringly visible, there's a loss of sharpness and contrast as you go towards the edges.

Yes.. Will try tweaking to see if it gets any better..

1. Use a bluray disc to adjust, I always follow that rule whenever I'm tinkering with projector settings. Or other options I've suggested. I connect bluray directly to the projector by passing the receiver many times during tinkering.

Got it.. Let me try some video calibration links or images on PJ to see where it stands..

2. Use a DSLR or iPhone for pictures, mainly because its results are universally comparable for neutral observers.
Sorry.. I got neither of them.. If it was daylight or if it had reasonable brightness, i would have used mobile camera.. Since it was near dark, used Digicam to get something respectable.. Low cost android phones suffer in indoor lighting, so near dark, i wont be able to get anything..

Will try for different modes in the Digicam and update..

3. Also projector screen doesn't have any in built light source, most of it is reflected light, so pictures will not tell the actual story, they'll be below par from what's visible. So don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure it'll be much better than what it appears from the pictures.

Got it.. Yes images are little picture in the room than in the pictures..

4. If possible try a HD broadcast of sports and adjust settings according to the natural grass color etc..

Will try some photos from the garden, think that would expose the limitations of the projector..

5. Don't bother about the screen size, I'd suggest that you move the projector more near to the screen and see if these anomalies disappear. They mostly do disappear if you move it near - though the Manfacturers promise 200" picture sizes in reality its not so. Compromise on screen size for quality.

Sure.. Will do that.. Nope not a 200 inch screen, am not that greedy.. Anything up to 100 inches and a decent picture quality would do..

6. I doubt if your projector supports ISF formats that helps in some cases if your receiver is capable.

Oops..ISF preset modes on this PJ, would be be too much of an ask.. My brother has a Onkyo non HDMI AVR, where it doesn't have these features..

Finally, keep experimenting till you get a satisfactory picture at least during the no question asked return window of Amazon. Keep us updated.

Yup.. Am not leaving, until i squeeze it to the extent possible and then move on..:eek:hyeah:

Is it worth 5K, absolutely yes. good to see you have it all setup, time to enjoy the big screen.
the colours are somewhat unnatural but that was to be expected.
Instead of nitpicking lets enjoy some action, football looks absolutely amazing on big screens.

the colours are somewhat unnatural but that was to be expected.

The picture on the screen is little better than the pictures shared here..good, with some limitations towards the screen corner.. It smear's (or) looses focus..

So far used only "Movie" preset.. Will try to tweak for any better picture if possible..

Instead of nitpicking lets enjoy some action, football looks absolutely amazing on big screens.

Right.. Will check how casual PC games look on the screen..

Are you keeping the screen? Read on another thread that you are going to return it, how is the quality of the screen? Is it white or slightly a shade of grey?

From all the pictures it appears that brightness is little less. Text sharpness is excellent. From my experience in different TVs and projector I have, I think movie mode gives little dark picture. May be you can switch off all the custom modes and try to calibrate using a picture calibration disc (like Disneys wow or Monsters Calibration Disk). May be this is too much an effort but no harm in trying I guess.

Overall I think this is a brilliant projector for the price. Enjoy

From all the pictures it appears that brightness is little less. Text sharpness is excellent. From my experience in different TVs and projector I have, I think movie mode gives little dark picture. May be you can switch off all the custom modes and try to calibrate using a picture calibration disc (like Disneys wow or Monsters Calibration Disk). May be this is too much an effort but no harm in trying I guess.

Overall I think this is a brilliant projector for the price. Enjoy

Yes.. Brightness is less is "movie" preset.. Will try to tweak and see if i can get any better than this in custom mode..

Am novice to picture calibration, if there are any links to understand and how to do it, please share here..I firmly believe that no effort is waste, sure, will give a try.. At-least, hands-on experience will help some point..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back