> = 100 inch screen for < = 10K - LED Projector avail in India - Discussion thread..

Re: > = 100 inch screen for < = 10K - LED Projector avail in India - Discussion threa

Yes.. Brightness is less is "movie" preset.. Will try to tweak and see if i can get any better than this in custom mode..

Am novice to picture calibration, if there are any links to understand and how to do it, please share here..I firmly believe that no effort is waste, sure, will give a try.. At-least, hands-on experience will help some point..

These DVDs run a series of videos (including tutorials) with different level of brightness contrast and colors and will tell you how these pictures should look like. For example if brightness is high, you may not be able to see white buttons in a white shirt. Here is the link. You may find it online somewhere as well.

Monster HDTV Calibration Wizard Easy-to-use TV setup DVD at Crutchfield.com

Re: > = 100 inch screen for < = 10K - LED Projector avail in India - Discussion threa

Not sure if pictures in below link will add any value..taken with my phone..no DSLR [emoji14]

http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...projectors-480p-check-out-pictures-below.html

Pictures look really nice.. Think i need to use custom mode..

The other projector also has Same issues of reduced edge brightness and picture quality.
How much its actually noticeable in person?

Images look brighter for sure compared to Unic 40, however, it does not seem consistent, especially the edges. This was also the concern in Unic 40, however, it was less evident as the image itself was not as bright. Maybe seeing in person would make it look different.

Below are two images I had posted from my Unic 40. They are small but should give an idea.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/62255-unic-uc40-ultra-cheap-projector.html#post686985

MaSh

The other projector also has Same issues of reduced edge brightness and picture quality.
How much its actually noticeable in person?

When you sit close < 10 feet, you can notice the inconsistencies.. Approx 10 feet and above, these are less visible..

When captured thru the Digital camera, night mode, it process the picture once clicked and then saves it.. So that degrades the pic to an extent i guess.

Images look brighter for sure compared to Unic 40, however, it does not seem consistent, especially the edges. This was also the concern in Unic 40, however, it was less evident as the image itself was not as bright. Maybe seeing in person would make it look different.

Below are two images I had posted from my Unic 40. They are small but should give an idea. MaSh

UNIC 40+ images look better.. Should ask @arnprasad for settings that he used..

Not sure if pictures in below link will add any value..taken with my phone..no DSLR :p

Pictures look nice, Did you use any video preset mode (or) custom mode ? If you used custom mode, please share the settings..

Pictures look nice, Did you use any video preset mode (or) custom mode ? If you used custom mode, please share the settings..

Hi..Like I mentioned in my earlier post...if I see a parrot appearing blue due to a substandard projector or TV....I will assume its a blue bird! that is the level of setting I do on my displays! No Videophile here!

Anyways coming to this particular projector - I frankly dont know what I did..but I did do something. It was simple - I kept on changing the setting till the picture looked good. :clapping:

Anybody in Hyderabad who wants to have a look at this - my nephew lives near Safilguda.

Hi..Like I mentioned in my earlier post...if I see a parrot appearing blue due to a substandard projector or TV....I will assume its a blue bird! that is the level of setting I do on my displays! No Videophile here!

Anyways coming to this particular projector - I frankly dont know what I did..but I did do something. It was simple - I kept on changing the setting till the picture looked good. :clapping:

Anybody in Hyderabad who wants to have a look at this - my nephew lives near Safilguda.

So tweaking it is.. Will try to do the same..

After going through this thread & reviews on Amazon, I am inclined on trying this Egate i9 with a 8x6 map type screen - setup (cost ~ 10K).

I will also audition the LG LED projectors in a nearby store (if they allow that!)

Then I can watch few more videos of comparison between Egate/Unic and the 30~50K INR projectors, and then decide if I can take that plunge of 720~1080P 3D projectors :p

I have not heard a "first hand" review from my friends or extended circle of friends. I am reading on forum reviews - like this one.

I have to check the picture quality at home, to see if it is what I want. If it's washed out image, not crisp quality, it would be a let down.

Thanks a lot for bringing up the projector idea when I was preparing to spend a huge amount on just 55-inch-FHD TV :D

Cheers,

Ace.

After going through this thread & reviews on Amazon, I am inclined on trying this Egate i9 with a 8x6 map type screen - setup (cost ~ 10K).

I will also audition the LG LED projectors in a nearby store (if they allow that!)

Then I can watch few more videos of comparison between Egate/Unic and the 30~50K INR projectors, and then decide if I can take that plunge of 720~1080P 3D projectors :p

I have not heard a "first hand" review from my friends or extended circle of friends. I am reading on forum reviews - like this one.

I have to check the picture quality at home, to see if it is what I want. If it's washed out image, not crisp quality, it would be a let down.

Thanks a lot for bringing up the projector idea when I was preparing to spend a huge amount on just 55-inch-FHD TV :D

Cheers,

Ace.

I have the EGate-P531 (1280 x 800 Native resolution), http://www.amazon.in/EGate-P531-Egate-LED-Projector/dp/B01640ELP4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493790332&sr=8-2&keywords=egate been using it for more than 2 months time in a living room, but i wasn't too worried abt lighting in the room.. There is always a workaround to get it near dark.. At approx 10 feet distance, i get around 94 inch screen..Love it for i paid 18K, purchased directly from the company with 1 yr warranty... Images are sharp, not washed out, colours are good too..

It won't disappoint you.. I will upload some images later..

Having used the UNIC 46 & Egate P 531, i can say that Egate P531 is much brighter compared to UNIC 46..

I have a PC & a HD STB connected to the PJ, use it for about everything.. Movies, IPL matches in HD, you tube videos, SD channels too..

Last edited:

I have the EGate-P531 (1280 x 800 Native resolution), Egate P531 LED Projector: Amazon.in: Electronics been using it for more than 2 months time in a living room, but i wasn't too worried abt lighting in the room.. There is always a workaround to get it near dark.. At approx 10 feet distance, i get around 94 inch screen..Love it for i paid 18K, purchased directly from the company with 1 yr warranty... Images are sharp, not washed out, colours are good too..

It won't disappoint you.. I will upload some images later..

Having used the UNIC 46 & Egate P 531, i can say that Egate P531 is much brighter compared to UNIC 46..

I have a PC & a HD STB connected to the PJ, use it for about everything.. Movies, IPL matches in HD, you tube videos, SD channels too..

Wow!
I can get a 1280x800 capable projector with good lamp life + 8x6 screen setup in 23k INR?
Please share some photos. Waiting for that :)

I will check more reviews on this, although don't see much, beyond Amazon.

Thanks a lot for sharing your inputs.
Should I look at same screen as you have mentioned in previous post -Luzon Dzire 8 x 6 feet pull down screen? Any suggestions with that?

Just to share - We (also) have no issue making the viewing room almost-pitch-dark, either.
Our room layout is 10'x15'8"
Where we will be placing the screen (close to a wall) and watch it from 14'6" distance.

How can I calculate the throw distance required for 90-100" screen for Egate PJs? (I don't see this company listed on projector central site)

Thanks,

Ace.

EDIT- Also, how do I get it at 18K? :p

Last edited:

Wow!
I can get a 1280x800 capable projector with good lamp life + 8x6 screen setup in 23k INR?
Please share some photos. Waiting for that :)

I will check more reviews on this, although don't see much, beyond Amazon.

Thanks a lot for sharing your inputs.
Should I look at same screen as you have mentioned in previous post -Luzon Dzire 8 x 6 feet pull down screen? Any suggestions with that?

Just to share - We (also) have no issue making the viewing room almost-pitch-dark, either.
Our room layout is 10'x15'8"
Where we will be placing the screen (close to a wall) and watch it from 14'6" distance.

How can I calculate the throw distance required for 90-100" screen for Egate PJs? (I don't see this company listed on projector central site)

Thanks,

Ace.

EDIT- Also, how do I get it at 18K? :p

There are 2 models of Egate P 531 (with Android, ethernet port) is 18K, P513 without them should be much less.. May be 16K.. I guess.. Directly with the company representative.. (Antima - 91 99996 31577)..

If you are going to place the projector at 14 feet from the wall, then you would get 130 inch easily.. That case you can pick a 9 x 5 feet 16:9 map type (or) pull down screen, depending on your room flexibility..

Here are some pics of Egate P531..
f28044c7df9de69c79d86732ac3c3762.jpg
b498716e00592176b19f3d7ccab4579f.jpg
edb21ec3a441e7a02dd74f4ac0c352d4.jpg
28248bba9cf0afd0635a768502d4eedb.jpg

Here are some pics of Egate P531..
edb21ec3a441e7a02dd74f4ac0c352d4.jpg
28248bba9cf0afd0635a768502d4eedb.jpg

Thank you for the photos!

How much -on a scale of 1-to-10- are the picture/video settings optimized for this display?

Please answer the below questions :D

1. What is the screen that you are using? is it 4:3 or 16:9?
What is the throw distance & diagonal display size?
If I place the projector at 14', can the display size be "zoomed out" to match desired screen size for P531?

I would be watching lot of movies/TV series/youtube/online videos- all mostly played through the HDMI - So, 16:9 looks right ratio to have. Your opinion please.

2. Did you consider the P531+? It has 1080p for 22.5K. But very new. So, not really sure.

3. As I had said earlier, since our room is 10x15'8" - If I purchase a 9x5 screen, the fixture has to fit-in correctly along the breadth of ceiling (we have POP false ceiling too, which reduces edge to edge distance to 9.7 feet). But I can totally get it done and enjoy the experience of almost a "Wall-full" of projection! - If it fits. :D haha.

---

Please feel free to share pointers from your learning through the projectors and screens purchased so far.

I will be ordering the setup by tomorrow :)

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited:

Thank you for the photos!

How much -on a scale of 1-to-10- are the picture/video settings optimized for this display?

Am not really sure.. May be 7/10. But there is a full menu under video settings that gives options to tweak every sub-menu..

I have it connected to Denon AVR, i have set it to "ISF Day" preset & use it.. THis basically enhances the dark scenes with some light..

Please answer the below questions :D

1. What is the screen that you are using? is it 4:3 or 16:9?

Unaware by the screen aspect ratio, i had i ordered a 8 x 6 feet 4:3 Aspect Ratio screen.. A FM later pointed me abt that.. Hence suggested you to get 9 x 5 feet 16:9 Aspect Ratio screen.. I also got 10 x 5.6 feet 16:9 Aspect Ratio for my brother Unic 46 PJ..

What is the throw distance & diagonal display size?

Approx 10 feeet is the distance between the PJ Lens to the Screen.. I get about 94 inches Diagnoally in 16:9 Aspect Ratio..

If I place the projector at 14', can the display size be "zoomed out" to match desired screen size for P531?

Don't think it is necessary to zoom out.. If you get a 16:9 Aspect Ratio screen, and PJ @ 14 feet, you would roughly get 130 inch, which would be massive for your room size.. Even if you zoom, you might get 5 - 6 inches max, which i think is not worth it, as you might loose sharpness/details..

I would be watching lot of movies/TV series/youtube/online videos- all mostly played through the HDMI - So, 16:9 looks right ratio to have. Your opinion please.

Yes HDMI is the best with 16:9 Aspect Ration.. Most movies would be 21:9 ratio, so there will be black bars on top & bottom of the screen, juz like how you get to see on LCD displays..

2. Did you consider the P531+? It has 1080p for 22.5K. But very new. So, not really sure.

I did check the specs, itz Native resolution is still 1280 x 800.. If it had more brightness than P531, then worth it.. Looks like it isn't the case.. P513, P531 & P531 + all have similar Lumen output.. So no real deal breaker..

The LCD screen inside all the three PJ models are of 5.8 inch.. So not much of difference there too..

3. As I had said earlier, since our room is 10x15'8" - If I purchase a 9x5 screen, the fixture has to fit-in correctly along the breadth of ceiling (we have POP false ceiling too, which reduces edge to edge distance to 9.7 feet). But I can totally get it done and enjoy the experience of almost a "Wall-full" of projection! - If it fits. :D haha.

9 x 5 feet would be safe bet here... At a distance of 14 feet from the screen, you can fully exploit the screen size.. 135 inch (16:9) is what you will get approx..

Please feel free to share pointers from your learning through the projectors and screens purchased so far.

I will be ordering the setup by tomorrow :)

Thanks, Ace.

I think there is an option of buying extended warranty, which i missed to get.. If you decide to buy directly from the company, enquire abt extended warranty and if aval, get it.. Couple of thousands is not going to hurt, give the failure of electronics..

Since this will be your first hand experience with PJ (Me too), spend less, save up for the FHD native resolution PJ with more brightness.. The more you tweak your set-up, the more you know its limitations and you will be well-informed to look out for the feature in the next upgrade..:)

Hope i covered most of your queries.. Fell free to shoot any more..

EGate P531 + is the same as Vivibright GP90 LED PJ on Amazon.uk - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vivibright...TF8&qid=1493877643&sr=8-1&keywords=Vivibright, also sold as Simplebeam Native 720p Projector GP90 - https://www.amazon.com/Simplebeam-P...8&qid=1493878041&sr=1-1&keywords=simplebeamer

It has good reviews on amazon.uk .. Please run thru the images / actual views shared by members for even better understanding..

Am not really sure.. May be 7/10. But there is a full menu under video settings that gives options to tweak every sub-menu..

I have it connected to Denon AVR, i have set it to "ISF Day" preset & use it.. THis basically enhances the dark scenes with some light..

okay, this is a huge STAGE 2 upgrade of our HT system :p
I understand, that I will have to do a lot of tweaking myself, and perhaps with some calibration disks / Disney and others.

Unaware by the screen aspect ratio, i had i ordered a 8 x 6 feet 4:3 Aspect Ratio screen.. A FM later pointed me abt that.. Hence suggested you to get 9 x 5 feet 16:9 Aspect Ratio screen.. I also got 10 x 5.6 feet 16:9 Aspect Ratio for my brother Unic 46 PJ..
Noted. Thanks :)

Approx 10 feeet is the distance between the PJ Lens to the Screen.. I get about 94 inches Diagnoally in 16:9 Aspect Ratio..

Okay, so, with 14' feet of projection throw at my place, I hope, it doesn't overrun the borders of my 9x5 screen.. which is why i asked about "how much can I zoom out".

Don't think it is necessary to zoom out.. If you get a 16:9 Aspect Ratio screen, and PJ @ 14 feet, you would roughly get 130 inch, which would be massive for your room size.. Even if you zoom, you might get 5 - 6 inches max, which i think is not worth it, as you might loose sharpness/details..

Per my above explanation, I think, only if it IS required, I may have to "zoom out" as in reduce the projected image size (to fit the projection within the available screen).

I definitely don't intend to zoom in (which may reduce the sharpness/detail, as you said)

I hope, it's clear now, what I wished to convey, earlier. :)

Yes HDMI is the best with 16:9 Aspect Ration.. Most movies would be 21:9 ratio, so there will be black bars on top & bottom of the screen, juz like how you get to see on LCD displays..

Perfect. This works well for me.
I may, at later point of time, hook up a RaspPi to this to make it "energy efficient" :D

9 x 5 feet would be safe bet here... At a distance of 14 feet from the screen, you can fully exploit the screen size.. 135 inch (16:9) is what you will get approx..
:licklips:

I think there is an option of buying extended warranty, which i missed to get.. If you decide to buy directly from the company, enquire abt extended warranty and if aval, get it.. Couple of thousands is not going to hurt, give the failure of electronics..
Okay, I just talked to them, and they indeed do offer extended warranty of another 1 year for 2K INR.
Do you think, it's worth spending 2K for the second year?
I will be using and testing it extensively in the first year itself :D

Since this will be your first hand experience with PJ (Me too), spend less, save up for the FHD native resolution PJ with more brightness.. The more you tweak your set-up, the more you know its limitations and you will be well-informed to look out for the feature in the next upgrade..:)

Seriously, I am already looking at Optomas 141/2s and the BenQ 1070s their comparison videos and stuff!
:lol:

Hope i covered most of your queries.. Fell free to shoot any more..

Oh, you have, indeed!!
Thank you so much for the superb details.

I will trouble you with a few more questions-

1. What offset did you setup your P531 at, with respect to the projected screen? Distance from the projected screen centre, will help.
Also, How did you place your screen? distance from floor?

2. How good is the "Play-from-USB" mode for videos on HDD? Did you try playing 1080p movies through that? any stutters/lags observed?

3. I am asking for bundle deal from egate- Projector P531 + 1 year ext. warr + Map type screen 9x5 (16:9) I guess, 23K would be a decent price for it. your view please.

----------------

Thanks!
I owe you a beer.

Ace.

Last edited:

okay, this is a huge STAGE 2 upgrade of our HT system :p
I understand, that I will have to do a lot of tweaking myself, and perhaps with some calibration disks / Disney and others.

Noted. Thanks :)

Yes.. Best to do it by trial & error..

Okay, so, with 14' feet of projection throw at my place, I hope, it doesn't overrun the borders of my 9x5 screen.. which is why i asked about "how much can I zoom out".

Per my above explanation, I think, only if it IS required, I may have to "zoom out" as in reduce the projected image size (to fit the projection within the available screen).

I definitely don't intend to zoom in (which may reduce the sharpness/detail, as you said)

I hope, it's clear now, what I wished to convey, earlier. :)

The best way to decide the projector location is to keep it on high stool and project it on plain wall.. You would get a rough idea of where to mount the screen & mount the projector in the ceiling (or) keep it on table, whether the projected image would over run the screen and stuff.. Then mount & tweak if necessary....

Perfect. This works well for me.
I may, at later point of time, hook up a RaspPi to this to make it "energy efficient" :D

Great..

Okay, I just talked to them, and they indeed do offer extended warranty of another 1 year for 2K INR.
Do you think, it's worth spending 2K for the second year?
I will be using and testing it extensively in the first year itself :D

IMO, extended warranty is always good.. Juz incase something unfortunate develops in the 2nd year, you are covered.. Either they will replace the part (or) replace the projector..

Seriously, I am already looking at Optomas 141/2s and the BenQ 1070s their comparison videos and stuff!
:lol:

Great.. How much are these ?

Oh, you have, indeed!!
Thank you so much for the superb details.

Am glad, the pointers were of some help to you.. Welcome..

I will trouble you with a few more questions-

Sure..

1. What offset did you setup your P531 at, with respect to the projected screen? Distance from the projected screen centre, will help.
Also, How did you place your screen? distance from floor?

Sorry didn't understand offset..
I have mounted the screen in such a way that the projected image center meets the eye height when on sofa..
The screen starts roughly 1 feet from the floor..

My screen is lil bigger, so i had to mount it lil closer to the floor..Lot of space wasted where the image is not projected..

2. How good is the "Play-from-USB" mode for videos on HDD? Did you try playing 1080p movies through that? any stutters/lags observed?

Nope.. Haven't tried yet.. Have been using HTPC connected to AVR.. Will try & update..

3. I am asking for bundle deal from egate- Projector P531 + 1 year ext. warr + Map type screen 9x5 (16:9) I guess, 23K would be a decent price for it. your view please.

Think for the price for P531+ on amazon.in, you are getting 2 yrs warranty on the product and a map type screen.. Think it is great deal..

Thanks! I owe you a beer.
:cheers:

Cheers,

Ace.

Do share your experiences in auditioning cheap/LG projectors. Also let me know what kind of screen you plan to buy. Thanks

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back