> = 100 inch screen for < = 10K - LED Projector avail in India - Discussion thread..

elangoas

Hi All,

There are two others threads running in the forum one for UNIC40 and an other one for UNIC46.. Both, LED projectors for <5K.

Let us have this thread to share similar offerings & discuss user experience..

A 100 inch projection for less than 10K is just too good to ignore..

Recently ordered UNIC46 from amazon.in and awaiting delivery - UNIC UC46 Uni-Link Wifi LED Portable Entertainment: Amazon.in: Electronics

Re: > = 100 inch screen for < = 10K - LED Projector avail in India - Discussion threa

It is too good to ignore but I believe resolution will be an issue, for 100+ inches 640x480 native resolution just will not cut it.
There are other Chinese options at around 20-25K mark which are native 720p, those are better options in my opinion, if you do your research then you will find some of them get consistently good reviews.
Excelvan and HTP are couple of good names to look for, particularly the LED 86/86+ models.

If you go higher then there is Luxcine which again looks pretty decent, go even higher for Xgimi, truly brilliant displays (this does not make much sense however because at these prices you will have mainstream offerings available from Epson and BenQ and others. The LED light source is a big plus as it effectively will replace your TV with super long life).

4K Ultra HD,3D Android Wifi | All in one Projector
Rebranded Chinese generic models with promise of Indian support and after-sales service. The down side is that you can pick it up for almost half the price from aliexpress and such but forego the service. There are others as well, Egate has been around for a while and there are satisfied customers around.

Re: > = 100 inch screen for < = 10K - LED Projector avail in India - Discussion threa

It is too good to ignore but I believe resolution will be an issue, for 100+ inches 640x480 native resolution just will not cut it.
There are other Chinese options at around 20-25K mark which are native 720p, those are better options in my opinion, if you do your research then you will find some of them get consistently good reviews.
Excelvan and HTP are couple of good names to look for, particularly the LED 86/86+ models.

If you go higher then there is Luxcine which again looks pretty decent, go even higher for Xgimi, truly brilliant displays (this does not make much sense however because at these prices you will have mainstream offerings available from Epson and BenQ and others. The LED light source is a big plus as it effectively will replace your TV with super long life).

Rebranded Chinese generic models with promise of Indian support and after-sales service. The down side is that you can pick it up for almost half the price from aliexpress and such but forego the service. There are others as well, Egate has been around for a while and there are satisfied customers around.

Quite right, though the specs are decent for what it costs, less than $60.

Full-HD native resolution is a must IMHO. Most of the content is full HD and gravitating towards UHD and 4K. However, pricing for India leaves a lot to be desired. I am one of the fortunate ones who can get at the local US prices, hence my purchase was a FHD native resolution Optoma, but the same model local pricing will give just about anybody a heart attack.

Thanks for the pointers..

Yes, you are right abt HD content..But TV channels i might benefit, most majority of them are still 480p and 4:3 ratio.

Yes.. Sure.. The idea of getting this product is to have a first hand experience and then move up the chain over time..

FM drkrack, suggested excelvan HD projector for about 11K.. I chose this UC46 as it has 1 yr seller warranty.. You are covered for one year for as little as 5K..

Am going to make these products "better" in my living room, than spend on replacing the established brand TV panel..

In that process, some queries that am looking forward from FM who have owned/ experienced projector..

- How many lumens from PJ is sufficient for a living room with only day light in to consideration?
- How many lumens is good when you can get you room near dark?
- How many lumens is good for a living room that is lit?

The reason i ask is because, i have 2 x 28w tubelight mounted on the ceiling which can produce roughly 5,000 lumens for my 150Sqft living room.. Sure, i can switch them off/consider replacing with LED bulbs with lesser lumens..

- How many lumens from PJ is sufficient for a living room with only day light in to consideration?
Depending on the light. More than 2500 lumens should be a better bet.
If you have a dark environment, 500 lumens would be sufficient.
This is also very subjective. Higher (lumens) is better.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos may creep in

Am going to make these products "better" in my living room, than spend on replacing the established brand TV panel..

In that process, some queries that am looking forward from FM who have owned/ experienced projector..

The reason i ask is because, i have 2 x 28w tubelight mounted on the ceiling which can produce roughly 5,000 lumens for my 150Sqft living room.. Sure, i can switch them off/consider replacing with LED bulbs with lesser lumens..

These are must haves (IMHO) for a proper home theater setup, especially a dedicated room.

1. Full HD native resolution.
2. 1000 lumens or more (this is obviously subject to a totally dark room, hence a dedicated home theater room). Obviously, for more brighter surroundings, you will need to go higher up the chain. Typically for a cinema hall experience, 1500 to 2500 lumens is where it starts. However, 1000 is a good figure if you can get the room totally dark, or as near to 1000 lumens as possible.

I use around 800 lumens 9W LED bulbs 2, but depending on the movies/personal mood, can operate with either 1 or 2 lights or a totally dark environment.

I agree with shibashis on the resolution. The TV channels are going to look splotchy, never mind the contrast which will not be the best at this price point. But, as you have suggested, it is a good way to test the waters to see whether projectors are your kind of thing.
The manufacturer claims a brightness of 1200 lumens which, I can guarantee, is a gross exaggeration. You will probably need a completely dark room to get a fairly watchable picture (or you can buy a projector screen with a gain of more than 2.0). Regarding brightness, here is a quote from a review on amazon:
"Image Contrast and Brightness: Insufficient to over power a 7W led bulb or a normal tubelight. Yes. You Do NEED a DARK Room."
So if you want to watch in the daytime then you can try getting some blackout curtains if you don't already have them.
Regarding the question of how many lumens is good enough for a near dark room: it depends. You see, the manufacturer's quoted lumens figures are never accurate. A particular LED projector from LG, which is quoted at 500 lumens, is more than enough to light up a 92" screen in a dark room. And even this quoted figure of 500 lumens is actually less than 500 lumens at full brightness. I have a feeling that this so-called 500 lumens LG projector will be much brighter than the UNIC one which claims 1200 lumens. Then, there is also the matter of the content. If it involves all bright scenes then the lower lumens will not matter as much. However, if it involves dark scenes then they will be completely washed out if the room is not dark enough.

I agree with shibashis on the resolution. The TV channels are going to look splotchy, never mind the contrast which will not be the best at this price point.

Agreed on the contrast.. But, resolution why would it look so? The SD resolution in TV channels is 480p and 4:3 AR, which is the native resolution of the PJ..

But, as you have suggested, it is a good way to test the waters to see whether projectors are your kind of thing.

Reading reviews/opinions abt a product will give you a fair impression of its capabilities..Nothing beats a first hand experience..

The manufacturer claims a brightness of 1200 lumens which, I can guarantee, is a gross exaggeration.

Every manufacturer do that to a fair extent.. With chinese products, think there is no limit :eek:hyeah:

You will probably need a completely dark room to get a fairly watchable picture

Yes.. We already have tinted glass which cuts the light in the room and top of that, we have reasonably goo curtains that fairly give the dark room..

(or you can buy a projector screen with a gain of more than 2.0).

Have ordered a 8 x 6 ft Luzon Dzire pull down screen on amazon.in for 3.5K. The specification says it is high gain type A++++++

i don't know, but for the price i paid, i think they may not be 2.0

Regarding brightness, here is a quote from a review on amazon:
"Image Contrast and Brightness: Insufficient to over power a 7W led bulb or a normal tubelight.

A 1W LED bulb produces around 100 lumens.. So 7 watts is roughly 700 Lumens, and if that overpowers the PJ then i can safely

So being optimistic, this PJ should produce abt 100 Lumens or slightly more..

Yes. You Do NEED a DARK Room."So if you want to watch in the daytime then you can try getting some blackout curtains if you don't already have them.

Got it.. We have it..

Regarding the question of how many lumens is good enough for a near dark room: it depends. You see, the manufacturer's quoted lumens figures are never accurate. A particular LED projector from LG, which is quoted at 500 lumens, is more than enough to light up a 92" screen in a dark room. And even this quoted figure of 500 lumens is actually less than 500 lumens at full brightness. I have a feeling that this so-called 500 lumens LG projector will be much brighter than the UNIC one which claims 1200 lumens. Then, there is also the matter of the content. If it involves all bright scenes then the lower lumens will not matter as much. However, if it involves dark scenes then they will be completely washed out if the room is not dark enough.

Thanks for the detailed responses.. It helps in understanding..:thumbsup:

On a side note -

Projectorcentral highly discourages on cheap Chinese brands. As per their tests, the specs doesn't match upto expectations.

On a side note -

Projectorcentral highly discourages on cheap Chinese brands.

Perfect..Am only trying it out to get hands on experience..It costs as much as an entry level android mobile here..

Even if you get a respectable screen size and SD resolution. there is no match for a big screen experience..Love it..

As per their tests, the specs doesn't match upto expectations.

Fair enough.. I too understand that it is not going be..

I did watch some youtube videos of the product. If you are not comparing them to mainstream PJ brands,they are not that bad, provided you make your room dark..

Re: &gt; = 100 inch screen for &lt; = 10K - LED Projector avail in India - Discussion threa

One of my friends bought Unic UC46 from Amazon and returned on the next day. He couldn't stand it [emoji2]

Finally what we pay is what we get. Right?

Even if you get a respectable screen size and SD resolution. there is no match for a big screen experience..Love it..

I hope you already have taken demos on PJs from reputed manufacturers.

Let me tell you something about big screen from my personal experience -

The main issue is screen judder. The closer you sit from the screen, the more horrible judder becoms.

I have taken demos on Epson, Benq PJs already. Without DFI, I was getting a headache after 10 mins of watching it. DFI creates Soap Opera Effect which may be good for sports, but not at all good for movies.

If the resolution is less and screen size is more, there's high chances for screen door effect. I.e. actual pixels will be visible, which will not give you a good experience IMHO.

One of my friends bought Unic UC46 from Amazon and returned on the next day. He couldn't stand it [emoji2]

Finally what we pay is what we get. Right?

Fair enough.

But we also need to keep in mind the entry point for the "uninitiated" in AV goodness. If buying an expensive projector was the only way to enjoy home cinema, or buying the speakers in my signature was the only way to listen to music, then there'd be very few people enjoying any form of AV goodness.

People are forgetting the biggest selling point here, $50-$60 for something that will give decent PQ by controlling the elements with dark curtains and turning off the lights.

Agreed on the contrast.. But, resolution why would it look so? The SD resolution in TV channels is 480p and 4:3 AR, which is the native resolution of the PJ..

The 480p resolution will look perfectly fine on a smaller screen. But when you are showing 480p quality video on a large screen then it will look splotchy, grainy, and very soft.

On a side note -

Projectorcentral highly discourages on cheap Chinese brands. As per their tests, the specs doesn't match upto expectations.

Close friend of mine did use one costing around 7k few years ago, and he changed it within 2 month.

It was pretty good initially but suddenly started becoming dark, dropping on brightness levels. When I checked, this was the common issue & that advertised brightness won't last long. I don't know whether things have changed now.
Thanks for the pointers..

Yes, you are right abt HD content..But TV channels i might benefit, most majority of them are still 480p and 4:3 ratio.

Yes.. Sure.. The idea of getting this product is to have a first hand experience and then move up the chain over time..

FM drkrack, suggested excelvan HD projector for about 11K.. I chose this UC46 as it has 1 yr seller warranty.. You are covered for one year for as little as 5K..
There's no need to do all mistakes on your own to learn ; you can learn from others (read mine) mistakes before investing.

These products may leave you with a bad experience about projectors in general ; which isn't justified, especially when you compare with the TVs - but you should buy a comparable Projector to come for a conclusion. I suggested Exclevan from Gearbest with the same idea, it has a comparable performance to the best 720p projector in the market.

If you have a regular TV in the living room, buying a projector makes lot of sense, especially for HT purposes. For 1200 lumens rated projector assuming its true output is as per the claims ; you should be able to watch it easily with 0.5 w led bulb in the back of the seating area. Of course you'll have to switch off the tube lights as you you have pointed out.

Hardly any projector reaches the max specified brightness levels in a real life scenario (including the branded ones). There's lots of inconsistencies in the brightness level measurements as specified by the manufacturer, much similar to RMS & PMPO on the Amplifier side. Its so confusing at times that, Optoma HD 26 rated 3000 lumens records less brightness levels than Benq W1070 rated 2000 lumens!

Also there's a considerable loss of quality & brightness especially with DLP projectors towards the end of the lamp life cycle (say a lamp rated 5000hrs will have worst PQ during the last 1000hrs). This deterioration in PQ sets much earlier in case of cheaper Chinese projectors and unfortunately it is very unpredictable too.

Finally welcome to the Projector side, I'd still suggest to buy at least 720p capable Projector for a newbie before deciding on your verdict about projectors.

Fair enough.

But we also need to keep in mind the entry point for the "uninitiated" in AV goodness. If buying an expensive projector was the only way to enjoy home cinema, or buying the speakers in my signature was the only way to listen to music, then there'd be very few people enjoying any form of AV goodness.

People are forgetting the biggest selling point here, $50-$60 for something that will give decent PQ by controlling the elements with dark curtains and turning off the lights.

What you pay is what you get.

Quality matters to some people always. And there's another term called 'compromise'.

Even I don't have a budget to go for a 'good' projector as of now.

Again, the term 'good' varies from person to person.

Appreciate the FM here, who have enlightened me on various aspects of PJ..

It is only to try..

Juz received the product...

Some pics..

afce4a82b98f2917247b43ccc1a19bb5.jpg

97e4f402da05956558649d7276991a9d.jpg

07a94c1bff0d24ebf5d42ad6de66a8ab.jpg

c484b0c4bb26798f002054fc487ac723.jpg

ef545fa6ed60f132f06e0b5b6a80ab0f.jpg

88e1b366068c26fa536ef6e8e6c855a6.jpg

404f0824791ab734baea88a0de99e635.jpg

Congratulations! Enjoy to the fullest and please share your experience with photos and videos.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back