1080p and 720p - Cheapest DLP Projector of 2010.

How would to HD 20 compare to 8500 UB? I am reading more reviews online and researching but would like to find out. Is it worth paying the double price?

Also, a noob question but can the HD 20 be connected to PS3, Tata Sky, DVD player?

HD 20 can be connected to these (PS3, Tata Sky, DVD player) via your receiver. I would rate Epson 8500 UB higher than HD 20. If I am not wrong this model is available in India by the name Epson TW 4500. I have been planning to upgrade to this PJ. It carries some awesome reviews and when you compare the prices of it US Vs here, its one of the most reasonable.

THANKS micjak77. That seems like an excellent bet. As there is loads of service centres in India, buying from India is the best option, even though the costlier one.

I will work hard for 2 months and then reward myself with this projector when I go back to Calcutta.

Now to research on screens! I have no idea about screens will read more on it on the forum. I am looking for a 150" screen which would project pictures best. Any ideas any one?

What is the Panasonic PT-AE4000 known as in India and for how much is it available? The TW costs 2,00,000 if I am not wrong.

What is the Panasonic PT-AE4000 known as in India and for how much is it available? The TW costs 2,00,000 if I am not wrong.

Pratters - you should be able to get TW 4500 for 1.5 lacs after bargaining. I was given a official quote of around 1.66 lacs by the dealer in Hyd.

Pana is known by the same model number across the world just a suffix changes.

This is where the difference comes, cost wise the difference between HD20 and other models would be over 50k, that is where you need to take a call , what is high on your priority list. Also usually if the product works fine out of the box for the first 15 to 20 hours, you will not face any issues. When i was planning to buy HD20 locally it was costing above 1 lakh, I got the same at half the price as i had a friend coming down from US.

So it depends on individual to individual what approach he or she wants to take.

The HD20 is a DLP, which are not so much known for black levels as they are for their "pop/wow" picture. An LCD PJ would be a better bet in general for blacks. People who are obsessed with black levels usually swear by JVCs but they are expensive and I don't think they are sold officially in India.

If you really want black levels I suggest the Panasonic or the Epson if you can swing it. It really depends on subjective tastes, I recommend not getting too caught up in "black levels" and go with what pleases your eyes and/or wallet.

Once you go PJ you don't go back.

Everyone has his or her own like sand dislikes and vies on black levels.

best is to demo the projector you want to buy and then order the same.

Pratters - you should be able to get TW 4500 for 1.5 lacs after bargaining. I was given a official quote of around 1.66 lacs by the dealer in Hyd.

Pana is known by the same model number across the world just a suffix changes.

Can you please forward me the dealer's details? I would like to negotiate for the TW 4500.
Thanks.

It costs 2,000-2,300$ abroad. Add the shipping and duty to final cost. It will probably be cheaper if you are willing to risk transit damage and no warranty.

It costs 2,000-2,300$ abroad. Add the shipping and duty to final cost. It will probably be cheaper if you are willing to risk transit damage and no warranty.
thanks for the reply.

Oh! that would be a real risk to take. ultimately we end up paying more. The 9500UB is worth the try because it is not available here. this one has just a few menu additons and deletions apart from the magical term 'THX'. otherwise its all TW 4500.
in the US they charge much more for this with a few goodies like the additional lamp and celing bracket thrown as standard accessories.

IIRC the 9500UB is pretty much the same as the 8500UB except for the extra accessories as you noted.

The TW4500=8500UB if I'm correct and the TW5500=9500UB. I own the TW4000 (6500UB), I can vouch for it, it is an excellent PJ when setup properly. The 8500UB has improvements in blacks and FI but falls a little short on brightness according to a review I read. If the TW4000 is anything go by it will be an excellent PJ. All you need to do is decide which route to go, buy it locally or import it.

I am buying the TW 4500 at a very hefty price locally. I do care about after sales issues, so decided to take this route.

Good Call Pratters - I would do the same thing. Right now I am just savings funds for this big buy.

Thanks. I have also bought a 104" x 58 Da Lite Screen which should arrive soon. I am going to Calcutta just to see my system in full flow. I JUST CAN'T WAIT. Will stay there for a week and then back to work in my factory in UP. :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back