2 ton split AC.....which brands to look?

goyal.sanchit

Hello

We are planning to buy a 2 ton split AC for our living room.

Earlier we were thinking of either O-general or Daikin but then realised there is no need to spend around 40k's on an AC which would be used at max 7-8 times in the whole year! (Our living room is not used much).

I don't want to do too much research this time. I am thinking of just going to a showroom and pickup an LG AC. Wouldn't be samsung because of past experiences.

Is there any other brands within the price range of LG that I should definitely look before deciding on LG?

Regards.

Avoid companies like TCL LOYD Etc.....

For budget range

GO for VOLTAS/LG/SAMSUNG

High Range

HITACHI ATOM (Inner unit is sleek and it looks awesome), Carrier Etc.

I have as many as 9 ACs @ my place...

the latest one is LG 1.5t (5 Star) 30K+
The inner unit is huge that's the only disadvantage....
otherwise it's very good.... Plasma Filter really works...
it has aero comfort also but i have not installed the fan unit yet.

Last edited:
We have three Samsung machines, and have had at least some trouble with two of them, and quite a lot with one.

Our 2-ton has suffered several failures, and now has a dead compressor --- at three years old.

General (not "O-General" ;)) is in a different league to Samsung/LG.

Hitachi is too, and the price is shocking --- but next time I buy, I will remember the Samsung repair bills, and go for General, Panasonic, or, money allowing, even Hitachi.

I won't buy Samsung again.

Check out the prices for Blue Star Acs. I am sure they are not as pricey as O'General and Daikin but are equally rugged and wont have issues in the long run.
Samsung / Lg cools fast but are prone to gas leaks.

Well i have bought whirlpool aviator series and i am pretty happy with the same. Do check them out.

Well i have bought whirlpool aviator series and i am pretty happy with the same. Do check them out.

Go for Hitachi man. Using a 2 Ton for the last 3 years. No problem at all till now. Its a split and the sound is really very less.And most importantly the thermostat really works and stop the compressure in time on the basis of your temperature setting which in turn save your electricity bill to a good extent.

Can also try for Daikin, simply the best in the market but a 2T will cost you around 40K .

Can we know the size of your living room?
In my experience, where LG and samsung 2 tonner is used, there a Daikin or OG 1.5T is sufficient.
I have a living room 30 X 20 X 20(H). It is cooled by 02 nos OG splits. Period.

Now I am installing 03 nos of Daikin splits in 'Lakozy Delhi'. I am getting a price of 27.5K plus taxes+installation and piping. This is for 1.5T unit. I think the final price would come to 33K.
Model number of daikin: FTE50KV16. Since, you are not going to use much of your living room then there is no point spending extra for 5star rating.

Cheers!

General (not "O-General" ) is in a different league to Samsung/LG.

AFAIK its O-general only and not general. :)

Check out the prices for Blue Star Acs. I am sure they are not as pricey as O'General and Daikin but are equally rugged and wont have issues in the long run.
Samsung / Lg cools fast but are prone to gas leaks.

We actually have blue star split ac's installed at our shop and 1 window ac at home. Though they have been working good I guess there service afterwards can be an issue. Would have to check about the gas leak thing though!

Can we know the size of your living room?

There are 2 things I am bad with- Remembering routes and calculating distances! :D :D.

I dont know exactly how big it is but one important thing is that it is open so thats why was thinking about 2 ton. + 1.5 Ton Daikin is not available in the city! [:(] only 2 ton is available so no idea about its price also (1 ton).

We actually have blue star split ac's installed at our shop and 1 window ac at home. Though they have been working good I guess there service afterwards can be an issue. Would have to check about the gas leak thing though!

I think any good ac technician can repair any AC. If you go to see major problem of any AC would be gas leakage. One out of say 100 would face an issue with compressor and other parts.
But still if you think getting spares is an issue with Blue star then its better to stay away from it

AFAIK its O-general only and not general. :)
The company is Fujitsu General.

Our three-year old Samsung is now going to cost us over Rs7,000 for a new compressor. When buying, we thought we couldn't afford brands like Hitachi and General (especially Hitachi: saw one at over 50,000 recently) but what we should have thought was --- it's much more expensive to buy two or three times, than to buy once, so pay more for long life.

The company is Fujitsu General.

Well I dont wan't to get into a debate about a thing as trivial as name of the company/brand. But then if you open the website and check the title bar they themselves have written OGENERAL.

Code:
 http://www.generalindia.com/

Coming back to the topic I myself have many problems with Samsung products. Bought a TV quite sometime back which faced problems almost every year!! A laser printer which stopped working soon enough and the after sale service was pathetic to say the list. The CD writer bought in the old days gave up soon.

In a way its good because if I have to buy a Washing machine/tv/AC etc now I can safely discard atleast 1 company! :D :D

So less choices to make decision from!

I would sincerely suggest Onida for you. Onida is seriously concentrating on their A/C business and the compressors come from Japan from the same plant as Hitachi.

I have Onida in my house and its actually better than my Hitachi in performance, sound, and electricity. I have a Hitachi window the top model with twin fans,

the compressors come from Japan from the same plant as Hitachi.

At the prices Onida is selling its ACs this is really surprising. Did you open up the casing to see where the compressor is manufactured ? In today's world its impossible to maufacture any mass market product in Japan.

Yes, I did, I dont remember the name, it was the same plant. A friend of mine from Onida A/C R&D confirmed the same and even my A/C advises me Onida though he makes very less margin due to their highly competitive price.

Now I have a Onida split in my house for the hall and I love its turbo cool feature.

Also, A/C is the number product for Onida in sales and they are very serious about it. Btw remember only the compressor is made in Japan other parts are China as usual

I think it is better to buy any item from leading brands though they work out some what expensive but it gives you better piece of mind and lesser hassles during course of product's life span while we should not forget that when we buy cheaper brands then there is a cost of their more wear and tear etc.

In-fact a lot of research is a must after all it is our hard earned money.

I have 3 a/c's of Hitachi and am very happy with it. On the other hand in my brother's house there is a tv and washing machine of hitachi and here too experience has been good. While i have a projector of hitachi brand.

V.

No problem with my Samsung PC monitor. I had thought they were taking the crown away from Japan for consumer electronics, but my ACs make me think again about that.

I wanted an extra ordinary printer which prints a3 size papers which are quite big compared to the usual a4 size, i had to choose between epson and hp brand, after a lot of dilemma i choose hp because i have dealt with this brand happily quite a few times and moreover they are leaders in printers.

With epson the offer was tempting, one the cost was about 2,000/- rupees less and importantly they had a 2 year warranty with pick up and delivery while with hp it is one year limited warranty but interestingly in case of a major problem they are likely to replace it with a new piece.

V.

Coming back to the topic I myself have many problems with Samsung products. A laser printer which stopped working soon enough and the after sale service was pathetic to say the list.

No problem with my Samsung PC monitor. I had thought they were taking the crown away from Japan for consumer electronics, but my ACs make me think again about that.

Infact Samsung PC monitor is the only samsung appliance I ever had which didnt give any problem!! Otherwise all faced problems! :)

@ Madbullram and Vinay

Thanks for the suggestions. I would definetely look at Onida also. I myself have heard that they have good products.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back