2L budget - 5.1 channel home theatre options

originalamit

Hi All,

I have finally decided to upgrade my home theatre system keeping in mind it has to be future proof (4k, network, wifi, bluetooth etc). I need this to be my single main system for music and movies.My room size is around 16x18. I have 2 options so far and am open to suggestions.

1) Polk Audio (see attachment)
RTI A7 floor standers
CSI A6 centre
FXI A4 surroound
DSW PRo 660 12" woofers
Denon AVR 3500H amp
Cost of package: 2.5 lakhs

The RTI A7 sounded a slightly oversharp for music but package overall sounded ok. I find the cost of the amp to be a bit to high (1.1L) and it seems the A7 needs a very powerful amplifier to get it to sound good.. apparently some challenge with the drivers on this speaker per some reviews i read.

2) Whatfdale and Marantz
Combo https://www.hifimart.com/speakers/s...ale-diamond-240-5-1-home-theatre-package.html
Marantz SR5013
Total cost of package: 2.13 lakhs

The wharfdale has a 10" subwoofer and my challenge stays that i dont have a way to audition it in Bangalore.

What are my options between the two above? Or is there anything better?

Thanks!

Amit

Attachments

• polk2.jpg
    polk2.jpg
    936.2 KB · Views: 99
Hi

With that budget i am sure you can get a good system.

• No AVR is future proof...features keep getting added or changed after every 9 months or 1 year......
  • Since you want a blend of music and movies.....look at Yamaha AVRs.......Marantz and Denon also may work......
  • There are a lot of dealers in Bengaluru...please go window shopping and audition the various systems....end of the day it has to please your ears and satisfaction!
  • Never reveal your real budget to the dealer....say 1 lac and you can perhaps stretch 30k to 50k more.....then see what he can offer you....
  • Demand for Discounts,.,,,,usually Profx ropes in 10% when demanded.....see what other dealers can offer....
  • Choose the speakers wisely ....the speakers is something you will use for 3- 5 years minimum before you upgrade......AVRs will often change...
  • Read threads under "What should i buy" or "Home Theatre" to get a better idea......there are many recently who have asked the same questions...perhaps you can read posts under my name....
All the best!

My room size is around 16x18. I have 2 options so far and am open to suggestions.

For a budget of 2 Lacs and above, you can defnetly do better.. Consider Marantz SR 6012 (on hifimart or wherever you get a better deal) a 9.2 AVR, capable of 11.2.. With your room dimensions, you can look at 7.2.4 Atmos set-up.. Approx 1 Lac for the AVR..

Consider smallest speakers (BS) in any brand of your liking and also get dual identical subs (inexpensive ones), as they help for smoother (bass) response in the room..

If you can get an used stereo power amplifier, you can use that to expand the AVR capability from 9.2 to 11.2 (7.2.4)..

I would recommend Marantz 6013, it will support IMAX Enhanced with future firmware update.

Instead of Polk or Wharfedale subwoofers, I recommend SVS subwoofers. The price is higher than these two but much better performance.

For Music, you may consider KEF speakers also.

If you would like to Audition SVS subwoofers you may contact The Home Cinema (Rupesh: 82965 00666).
You can experience SVS prime series speakers as well, but Marantz 6013 + SVS Sub + Prime speaker set will be above your budget.
If you like SVS speakers, either you can stretch budget or go step by step.

You can add second subwoofer as well to the setup later.

If you would like to install ceiling speakers, you can consider SVS Prime elevation.

I believe The Home Cinema deals with Marantz , Polk, KEF etc. You may check with them.

Thanks ! Plan to spend this weekend doing a sound check and listen to the combinations available out there.. Will update with my findings :)

Why such big floor standers when you are using a subwoofer ?
Is your room acoustically treated?
Seating distance from speakers?

Why such big floor standers when you are using a subwoofer ?
Is your room acoustically treated?
Seating distance from speakers?
Thanks !
i thought the 3.5 way speakers will give better sound on the floor standers... and primarily will work better for music in a 2 channel mode
room is a regular bedroom about 16x18 feet with all the furniture sofa etc... anything i should consider for better acoustics?
Seating distance is around 15 feet or so..

I would recommend Marantz 6013, it will support IMAX Enhanced with future firmware update.

Instead of Polk or Wharfedale subwoofers, I recommend SVS subwoofers. The price is higher than these two but much better performance.

For Music, you may consider KEF speakers also.

If you would like to Audition SVS subwoofers you may contact The Home Cinema (Rupesh: 82965 00666).
You can experience SVS prime series speakers as well, but Marantz 6013 + SVS Sub + Prime speaker set will be above your budget.
If you like SVS speakers, either you can stretch budget or go step by step.

You can add second subwoofer as well to the setup later.

If you would like to install ceiling speakers, you can consider SVS Prime elevation.

I believe The Home Cinema deals with Marantz , Polk, KEF etc. You may check with them.

Thanks! Have got in touch with Rupesh. His pricing does seem higher compared to the other quotes and hes not giving a breakup of pricing but a bundled pricing. Am talking with him.. lets see what he comes up with

Thanks !
i thought the 3.5 way speakers will give better sound on the floor standers... and primarily will work better for music in a 2 channel mode
room is a regular bedroom about 16x18 feet with all the furniture sofa etc... anything i should consider for better acoustics?
Can you share the pics of your room ?
The first quotation is for 2.5 lakhs.
So is your budget fixed i.e. under 2 lakhs or flexible ?
Your music /movies usage ?

Thanks !
Delete

Can you share the pics of your room ?
The first quotation is for 2.5 lakhs.
So is your budget fixed i.e. under 2 lakhs or flexible ?
Your music /movies usage ?
budget- would like to keep it under 2 unless its really making a difference to the quality of sound, then i can stretch it a bit above 2..
40% music and 60% movies is my split.

Thanks! Have got in touch with Rupesh. His pricing does seem higher compared to the other quotes and hes not giving a breakup of pricing but a bundled pricing. Am talking with him.. lets see what he comes up with

Have you got any better offer? If you got best offer from Profx you can go with that.
My friend got better offer from The Home Cinema compared to Profx.
If you are considering Marantz Receiver + Polks Speakers + SVS Subwoofer, better to consider dealers like The Home Cinema.
Profx won't be able to offer this kind of Combo.

If you are considering Denon AVR + Polk Speakers + Polk Subwoofer, Profx will be able to give that. Compare the price and decide in this case.
Polk comes with 3 years warranty, SVS provides 5 years warranty.

In my opinion
Get good matching 5 channel speaker set
2 subwoofers
And an AVR.
Even smooth bass is a KILLER thing which is really important. Smooth bass will help your speakers sound clearer.
But yeah those 2 subs should be placed strategically and not at random locations.

Good luck :)

Get either emotiva 5.0 speakers .
1.23k on ht store. Try for further discounts.
Get marantz Sr 5012. Its for 79k on hifimart.
Add subwoofers later as this will use up your budget.
Or
Get elac debut series bookshelf 5 channel system
Marantz Sr 5012
And add 2 subwoofers.

Get either emotiva 5.0 speakers .
1.23k on ht store. Try for further discounts.
Get marantz Sr 5012. Its for 79k on hifimart.
Add subwoofers later as this will use up your budget.
Or
Get elac debut series bookshelf 5 channel system
Marantz Sr 5012
And add 2 subwoofers.

Where can i audition the emotiva speakers in Bangalore?

Have you got any better offer? If you got best offer from Profx you can go with that.
My friend got better offer from The Home Cinema compared to Profx.
If you are considering Marantz Receiver + Polks Speakers + SVS Subwoofer, better to consider dealers like The Home Cinema.
Profx won't be able to offer this kind of Combo.

If you are considering Denon AVR + Polk Speakers + Polk Subwoofer, Profx will be able to give that. Compare the price and decide in this case.
Polk comes with 3 years warranty, SVS provides 5 years warranty.

No, i havent got a good offer yet. I do not want to compromise my floor standing speakers as music is important to me. The Home Cinema guys compromised that to add the SVS subwoofer and havent given price breakup which makes it hard to reconfigure to my needs... Will visit them at some point in time once i have evaluated others before deciding

Where can i audition the emotiva speakers in Bangalore?
There are dealers.. ask them if they have on demo.
Or else someone from the forum might surely have those speakers.

Btw auditioning doesn't guarantee what you are listening will sound the same.
Amplification, room acoustics, content used for demo etc differ.

Good luck.

SVS is a good sub but they lack mid-bass, so also consider the XTZ 10.17 or the 12.17 subwoofers. These are great subwoofers and they have 3 preset equalizers and customisable port plugs using which you can tune the subwoofer according to your prefersnce. XTZ subs are better value for money in india than SVS. Polk subs wont match the performance of either of the brands mentioned above. BIC america PL200II is also good subwoofer to consider, if you want to restrict the budget for the subwoofers.
Edit: If you like neutral sound then look for Marantz receiver and Elac Debut speakers and if you prefer a bit forward(bright) sound then look for the Dali Zenzor speakers and Wharfadales if you prefer laidback sound. Polk speakers are not that good for music.

Please avoid polk especially the subwoofer. Bic PL200-ii is way better then dsw pro. I used polk psw 125 and it was horrible the bas was so muddy. So i wanted to go for dsw pro and played the same content and found it equally bad so i went for the bic and extremely satisfied with the performance.And for getting 3500 you can go for 4400 or 4500. 3500 is just a powerful version of 2500 with pre-amp option. can process 7.1 only so you cannot set up a 5.2.4. Dali sound quality is way better then polk. My advise would be save some more money and invest wisely. If you just want to get a 5.1 set up i would suggest you just get the 2500 along with dali zensor series and bic sub. This would fall well within your budget and will definitely sound way better then the polk combination as i have auditioned both. You can also check the q accoustics speaker package. No matter what you get please stay away from Polk dsw pro trust me its a horrible subwoofer

And also I just noticed in the specs it is mentioned the frequency response is 20hz-160khz which is false. correct specs are 25hz-125khz. No matter who tells u to go for the dsw please don’t I have tested the sub to the core and it’s just horrible. Get the bic pl200-ii or if budget allows go for the svs.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back