3 Hours of Journey, 3 Hours of Audition, 3 Pairs .... and a Paradigm shift!!!!

paritosh

hello friends,

if some of you happen to come accross my earlier postings, i started my journey with a decent 5.1 setup in mind within a budget of 30k. that was slowly increased to 75k after having auiditioned some floor standers like JBL, Jamo, Polk TSi300, Wahrfedale Obsidian etc. with matching components.

the breakthrough came today.,.... and in a VERY BIG WAY..... an audio dealer in my native place happens to be a friend of my architect looking after the renovation of my flat. we had him visit my place to check the living room where the setup is supposed to take place. he cleared my doubts regarding acoustics and said the floor standers should perform well in the environment. [its still to be realised though, could take another 3 months before the results are out-i.e. my flat is complete and i have my setup singing in full glory after proper runup]. i was quite a bit releaved.

today, we rode to my native togather and during the 3 and half hour ride, i played my choice of music- late 90s bollywood, some recent favourites and Jagjit Singh's old Ghazals. this gave him a fair bit of idea about my taste and helped a great deal.

i was surprised to find such a good showroom, that too in my native place, which happens to be a much smaller city that Rajkot. not only the setup, but the choices were also quite good.

we started with two pairs, Polk TSi400 and Paradigm Monitor 7. both of them powered by Onkyo 8255 amp. the setup was not in a dedicated room, but in an open listening area with all the normal living room elements and without any heavy acoustic treatment [baring a rug on the floor and a small wooden table in the middle]

we did a lot of A-B auditioning of the two pairs. starting from slow classical instrumentals of Sitar, then classical vocal by Bal Murli Krishna then a few bollywood numbers romantic slow tracks with good instrumentations, a Jagjit CD. the guy was really too good in explaining and the setup too was just perfect as he kept on switching between the two pairs as well as the Anthony Gallow globes to enable a good comparisions. the tracks were played over and over again and he explained the doubts i had in my mind. this lasteed for about a couple of hours.

during the very first few minuites, after a listening to sitar and a few switching, the dealer incerted a vocals cd. first it was played for some three to four minutes on polks, but as the guy switched over to paradigm, within seconds i could recognize that it was Bal Murli Krishna [ I had not seen the cover of the cd he incerted, so i did not know it till this time. and me being a gujarati, have only heard Bal Murli Krishna in the Desh Raag recital on tv]. this really hit me hard and from that point onwards i was leaning towards the paradigms. we continued with different bollywood numbers and Jagjit Singh.

Till the first two hours, we only listened to two chanel audio setup and i was thoughly impressed. then we proceeded to the dedicated home theater auditioning room to checkout elacs FS57 + BS51 + CC51 + Sub50 hooked up to Denon 1611. we had the Avatar for audition. looking at my liking towards the sterio setup, the dealer suggested to have a look at the same scene with sterio mode audio. the inside=ht room- audition lasted for about 20 minutes. i could see where i was going.....i had made up my mind that i really wanted to go with a steario setup rather than a 5.1 [phew.... after four months of searching and googling and discussion variuos aspetcs in this forum, a visit to two different cities other than where i live..... i had my vectors right...]

.... we later had the elac FS pair moved to outside room and had another round of knock out audition with previous two pairs. after a few switching auditions with bollywood and pakistani numbers, we started with Jagjit Singh, then an AR Rehman composition and at last Aawarapan Banjarapan from my Audio CD. [Yes Venkat sir, i obeyed your suggestions, got a hold on Auidio CD of Jagjit Singh's Journey and a rew Bollywood movies which i carried for audition. this time, we heard all the three songs, one by one on the three pairs witout switching. after an hour of this knockout round, i would rate the pairs as below

Polk TSi third
Elac second
paradigm first

p.s. the Polk pair was a new born [less than 20 hours] while the other two were veterans [burned for more than 100 hrs]

after i zeroed on paradigm, the dealer suggested to pair them with Onkyo 8555 rather than 8255 which was used for auditions.

guess i've found my Holy Grail. waiting for a quote. i guess its going to run into 80k region including cables, interconnects [ixo banana plugs] and shipping plus installation. wish me luck.... and do suggest whether the choice i've made is ok or not.

Congrats and all the best! If the dealer is suggesting a different amp than the one you auditioned, then you will need to re-audition the speakers on that amp. Never audition on one setup and buy another, even if it is a step up in the same range/brand.

Good luck!

hi,
If you liked 8255 with paradigms and if the room was similar to that in your home & if it gave adequate volume without straining, why the dealer is suggesting 8555?

I must appreciate your patience & stamina of audition. I mean i can go on listening to music for hours but in audition we listen to same song again and again with different combo of components and that too is extremely concentrated listening to note the nuances in music . In audition, you are always looking at particular places you know are there in a song. I lose capacity to differentiate in say 1 hour max unless the difference in quality is huge.

I would say, listen to the combo you have chosen once again before buying. On a new day your impression might be different. That should not happen since you are spending 80k.

well, the reason the guy gave for suggesting 8555 was the power o/p. he also said, if we were satisfied with the setup we heard, we should go with it. but, at higher volumes, he said, the sq will get distorted, which could be avoided by pairing a higher rated amp. this distoetion he demonstrated by increasing the volume (though i am never gonna play at that level). he also suggested that the higher amp is costiler by 10k. so, i feel there was nothing to hide from his part, and he put the things as they were.

BtW' has anyone got the Paradigm Monitor 7 pair in their setup? and which amp it is paired with, and what is the general perception regarding the speakers.

rgds

Paritosh,

The Monitor Series of Paradigm's are good speakers, some may find them forward & bright for their taste, but I found them very good overall. Since you like the combo of the monitor 7 & onkyo 8255, why are you wondering about other amps??? Stick to what you liked & get rid of the doubts. Remember, thats the only way to enjoy your music.
At the most you can do a couple of repeat demo's further to confirm whether what you heard yesterday is still the same way you like it. Keep it simple & do listen without any doubts.

:)

Couldn't agree more with denom. I took almost 3 months to dedicde on my purchase. After going through multiple auditions I went for what pleased me in initial demos. Was torn between RTi A5s and Paradigm 7s. The former was too bright for extended movie experience. Paradigm 7s are comparatively toned down and good with both movies and music. Mine is hooked up to Denon 2311.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

well, the reason for confusion is not at all from acaustics, but as per technical pairing, 8255 is 90w/ch at 4ohms. can it dammage either of the components in the pair?
another notion is, will going for a higher rated amp improve the performence in terms of detailing?

well, the reason for confusion is not at all from acaustics, but as per technical pairing, 8255 is 90w/ch at 4ohms. can it dammage either of the components in the pair?
another notion is, will going for a higher rated amp improve the performence in terms of detailing?

Higher rating does not necessarily translate into quality. The best amp I have heard in my life is a 50wpc Einstein. Quality of the amplification is more important than quantity, especially for music.

Also, about damaging the components, don't worry. You will go deaf much before you damage any speaker drivers :) You will almost certainly never run your amp/speaker at close to maximum power. If the original amp on which you auditioned sounded good and was only distorted at torturous levels, you should still stick with it.

Paritosh, congrats on your purchase.

Re-audition and be sure the 8255 suits you. I think its a bit underpowered (90w with one channel driven at 4 ohms), so if you can afford it go for the 8555 but as the others said, re-audition it to make sure that sounds equally good.

ok guys,

now, i'm in another dilema-regarding source!

previously, since i was going to go for a 5.1, i pretty much had Sony BDP307 or Onida BDX1110 in mind. both of them within a budget of 10k.

now, for this setup, I'll be needing a good DVD-p and CD player to complement the PM7s. Since I've already gone over the top of my budget, i can not spend more than 15k for the source.

can you guys suggest a decent DVDp with good on-board DAC? I've been suggested Pioneer 220 by some veterans, while my audio dealer is suggesting any Sony product, as Pioneer service backup is not up to the mark. I've also come accross Onkyo DVD + CD + SACD player on their website. one of their models costs 17k.

awaiting your suggestions.

Pioneer 220 fits the bill perfectly .... @ 4 k. It is very good for music as well as movies. Yes, a dedicated CDp might pip it to the post whence it is only music, but what the hell ... at @ 4 k pricing one is not aiming for the moon ... right?

What service back-up does anyone require for a 4 k product? More of a use and throw if it gets to that ... :lol:

I have a 220 with Wharf 70+ satellites .... thinking that it would only cater to movies, but, over the last 18 months have been putting it more (@ 70%) on 2.1 channel music hearing whenever stationed in the primary HT room ... :D

ok guys,

now, i'm in another dilema-regarding source!

previously, since i was going to go for a 5.1, i pretty much had Sony BDP307 or Onida BDX1110 in mind. both of them within a budget of 10k.

now, for this setup, I'll be needing a good DVD-p and CD player to complement the PM7s. Since I've already gone over the top of my budget, i can not spend more than 15k for the source.

can you guys suggest a decent DVDp with good on-board DAC? I've been suggested Pioneer 220 by some veterans, while my audio dealer is suggesting any Sony product, as Pioneer service backup is not up to the mark. I've also come accross Onkyo DVD + CD + SACD player on their website. one of their models costs 17k.

awaiting your suggestions.

If you already have a desktop PC/laptop, don't invest in CPD/BDP.
Just put a good sound card in the PC. Additionally Get something like a PC remote control

: Works with Windows and Mac. Cost 1.7k

This way, you get fabulous quality of audio and video, all the media at one place and capability to play any format. There are many good softwares available there.
You don't have to keep on changing CDs to listen to songs from different albums. Form as many play lists as you want.THis can become a real pain if you use CD/DVD player. Just use some loseless format to rip your collection.

I am very happy with this shift to PC as source.:D

I am very happy

Last edited:
regarding Pioneer DVDp, I guess it can not play mp3 files from Cd, can it? i have a good collection of 256kbps mp3s with me.

though i like the idea of using pc as source, but i do not want to clutter the area, as its my living room.

how about the Onkyo players? i heard one of them is available for 17k. plays DVD and CD. i can live with that if its DAC is good and theres any merit for money.

If you are sure you want some disc player,

cambridge audio (CA) CADV 89 and 99 have got very good reviews from our forum members. I think it is spirovious who uses it. Cost around 13K. People say that it is equally good for audio and video.No first hand experience. Use search engine of the forum, there are 2 -3 threads comparing CA DV89/99 with some dedicated CDPs.

Frankly speaking, I have not heard much about Onkyo as a source although it is a very well known brand in AVRs and HTIBs.

On the other hand, a basic laptop will cost you aound 20k and will give you a lot more options includng wifi for future use. You will need external 5.1 card if you are planning 5.1 set up.Now you have decided for stereo. So not a big problem.

A netbook will cost you 16k.(should be adequate as you can use existing desktop to rip CDs. My HP mini runs on for 9 hours on single charge for music).Netbbok with 1GB RAm is more than adeqaute for use as a audio source. @%) GB on board memory is also quite good.

A tablet like Creative ZiiO will cost you around 18k, has creativebuilt in sound card with crystalizer(good for mp3s). If I am not wrong, it has a HDMI output as well.

So rip CDs using your desk top, and play through netbook/Ziio.

Even less wiring as compared to DVDP if you use netbook/tablet.

Too Many options !!

does the dealer do only onkyo amps ?

The Monitor 7 is very good. Heard it at auditions and also at shaijus place.

Maybe a CDP like the CD6003 Marantz which can play thru USB and also mp3 CD's would be a ood option. I am given to understand it costs about 18k in Mumbai without bill and warranty.

rgds,
mpw

hello friends,

if some of you happen to come accross my earlier postings, i started my journey with a decent 5.1 setup in mind within a budget of 30k. that was slowly increased to 75k after having auiditioned some floor standers like JBL, Jamo, Polk TSi300, Wahrfedale Obsidian etc. with matching components.

the breakthrough came today.,.... and in a VERY BIG WAY..... an audio dealer in my native place happens to be a friend of my architect looking after the renovation of my flat. we had him visit my place to check the living room where the setup is supposed to take place. he cleared my doubts regarding acoustics and said the floor standers should perform well in the environment. [its still to be realised though, could take another 3 months before the results are out-i.e. my flat is complete and i have my setup singing in full glory after proper runup]. i was quite a bit releaved.

today, we rode to my native togather and during the 3 and half hour ride, i played my choice of music- late 90s bollywood, some recent favourites and Jagjit Singh's old Ghazals. this gave him a fair bit of idea about my taste and helped a great deal.

i was surprised to find such a good showroom, that too in my native place, which happens to be a much smaller city that Rajkot. not only the setup, but the choices were also quite good.

we started with two pairs, Polk TSi400 and Paradigm Monitor 7. both of them powered by Onkyo 8255 amp. the setup was not in a dedicated room, but in an open listening area with all the normal living room elements and without any heavy acoustic treatment [baring a rug on the floor and a small wooden table in the middle]

we did a lot of A-B auditioning of the two pairs. starting from slow classical instrumentals of Sitar, then classical vocal by Bal Murli Krishna then a few bollywood numbers romantic slow tracks with good instrumentations, a Jagjit CD. the guy was really too good in explaining and the setup too was just perfect as he kept on switching between the two pairs as well as the Anthony Gallow globes to enable a good comparisions. the tracks were played over and over again and he explained the doubts i had in my mind. this lasteed for about a couple of hours.

during the very first few minuites, after a listening to sitar and a few switching, the dealer incerted a vocals cd. first it was played for some three to four minutes on polks, but as the guy switched over to paradigm, within seconds i could recognize that it was Bal Murli Krishna [ I had not seen the cover of the cd he incerted, so i did not know it till this time. and me being a gujarati, have only heard Bal Murli Krishna in the Desh Raag recital on tv]. this really hit me hard and from that point onwards i was leaning towards the paradigms. we continued with different bollywood numbers and Jagjit Singh.

Till the first two hours, we only listened to two chanel audio setup and i was thoughly impressed. then we proceeded to the dedicated home theater auditioning room to checkout elacs FS57 + BS51 + CC51 + Sub50 hooked up to Denon 1611. we had the Avatar for audition. looking at my liking towards the sterio setup, the dealer suggested to have a look at the same scene with sterio mode audio. the inside=ht room- audition lasted for about 20 minutes. i could see where i was going.....i had made up my mind that i really wanted to go with a steario setup rather than a 5.1 [phew.... after four months of searching and googling and discussion variuos aspetcs in this forum, a visit to two different cities other than where i live..... i had my vectors right...]

.... we later had the elac FS pair moved to outside room and had another round of knock out audition with previous two pairs. after a few switching auditions with bollywood and pakistani numbers, we started with Jagjit Singh, then an AR Rehman composition and at last Aawarapan Banjarapan from my Audio CD. [Yes Venkat sir, i obeyed your suggestions, got a hold on Auidio CD of Jagjit Singh's Journey and a rew Bollywood movies which i carried for audition. this time, we heard all the three songs, one by one on the three pairs witout switching. after an hour of this knockout round, i would rate the pairs as below

Polk TSi third
Elac second
paradigm first

p.s. the Polk pair was a new born [less than 20 hours] while the other two were veterans [burned for more than 100 hrs]

after i zeroed on paradigm, the dealer suggested to pair them with Onkyo 8555 rather than 8255 which was used for auditions.

guess i've found my Holy Grail. waiting for a quote. i guess its going to run into 80k region including cables, interconnects [ixo banana plugs] and shipping plus installation. wish me luck.... and do suggest whether the choice i've made is ok or not.

I am a bit confused, if you are looking for 5.1 sound, why are you looking for two channel amps, shouldnt you be looking for an AVR?

The Monitor 7 is very good. Heard it at auditions and also at shaijus place.

I have tweaked the 2311 to make the 7s sound better. Am really content with my setup. Ali helped me nail the decision in favor of 2311 and Krishna with 7s.

Anyone wanting to take a demo, always welcome to my place. Am more of a movie guy than music.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

@ jaudere,

Do you mean to say that we can connect our laptop to our existing 5.1 set-up through the AVR to play our audio files. Does it hold good the video too. You also mentioned about an external sound card. How much does a good ext. sound card cost.

BTW how do we connect the lap-top / PC to the AVR. Because the PC and the lap-top cords would be having the 3.5 pins. How do we connect the 3.5 mm to AVR's in-puts which have composite cables.

Regards

JAYANT

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back