32" HDTV withing 38k - Please Help Me Choose

aercy

Since my last thread was closed without even giving me the chance to justify, I am posting it again in this section.

If anyone reads my entire post they will know that my query is very specific and none of existing thread can help me. This indeed required to be answered rather than redirection towards exiting threads. So it is my earnest request that the mod(s) go(es) through the post and let the poster justify the new thread before closing it.

Hi, I am looking to buy a HDTV with my own money for the first time
Here's what I am looking for,

Size: 32"
Panel Type: LED/LCD
Resolution: HD-Ready (720p)
Internet Capability: Not Required
Budget: Max INR 38,000

Brand Preference: Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba

Will be used for: PS3, HD Movies, HD STB
Room Size: 120 Sq. ft (12x10)

Other Specifications: Will change the TV after 3-4 years with bigger and better thing

Narrowed Down Models (Prioritization in that order):
1) Sony BRAVIA KDL-32EX550 (37.9k)
2) Sony BRAVIA KDL-32EX420 (33.5k)
3) Toshiba 32PS20 (30k)
4) Panasonic TH-L32XM5 (27k)
5) SHARP LC-32LE341M (25k)

Questions:
A) I think quality-wise 1 and 2 are pretty same except for 100Hz gimmick, isn't it?

B) What about 3 and 4?

C) How are SHARP HDTVs? Can I depend on it for 3-4 years?

I suggest the Sony model. It may not play all usb video formats, but the PQ will be better. If you can raise the budget slightly, you can buy 40 or 42 inch from Toshiba or Philips.

@aercy understand you have narrowed down your search and wanting to decide between Sony, Panasonic, Sharp and Toshiba. Id like to share my experience here, I had recently purchased a LG 32 Full HD, LED TV (Model: LS 4600) from eZone, Bangalore. It cost me 33,000/- as it was on festive offer during the last weekend.

This model has an IPS panel so this means that the viewing angle is much wider, DivX HD certified, Screen resolution is 1920 x 1080p and delivers stunning picture quality. Also has 3 HDMI inputs so you can connect your sources, 1 USB 2.0 and this plays most audio and video formats, since it bought it only a couple of days ago, I have figured out that to doesnt support .m2ts media format while some Sony models did when I was auditioning however Sony in some models didnt support .mkv which is a widely available format but this LG model does.

The LS 4600 has LAN connectivity and Digital audio out (coaxial/optical) slot, also the TV has thin bezel and is a much thinner component. You can look up this model online and understand its other features which are quite good.

You may refer to the below link to know more on user reviews and make your choice accordingly. I have been using LG products for many years know and their prompt service is what made me choose the LG TV.

URL: LG 32LS4600 LED 32 inches Full HD Television - LG: Flipkart.com

Good Luck!

Since my last thread was closed without even giving me the chance to justify, I am posting it again in this section.

If anyone reads my entire post they will know that my query is very specific and none of existing thread can help me. This indeed required to be answered rather than redirection towards exiting threads. So it is my earnest request that the mod(s) go(es) through the post and let the poster justify the new thread before closing it.

Other Specifications: Will change the TV after 3-4 years with bigger and better thing

3) Toshiba 32PS20 (30k)

Questions:
A) I think quality-wise 1 and 2 are pretty same except for 100Hz gimmick, isn't it?

B) What about 3 and 4?

Hi Aercy,

Not to take you off topic, I am sure that you can get a 42 inches plasma for that budget if you search. 720p surely.

I have gone thru your requirements and I feel that Rs 38,000 is a very decent budget to look for a 42 inches in plasma.

Why don't you also check out the 42 inches X or XT series in Panasonic, also the 490 in Samsung (They are offering a free blu ray player or HT I am not sure here locally in Bangalore).

Since you do not seem to have gaming requirements, plasma might suit your bill. Please do not go by the LED hoopla put forward by salesman (I have nothing against anyone who buys LEDs but this is just my opinion) at the end of the I feel that plasmas give the best blacks and a better viewing experience, only caveat being a dark room and a slightly large electric bill which can be reduced by proper calibration.

Only thing to watch out for is the burn in issue common in plasmas. You can find many FMs who are totally satisfied with their plasmas.

Hope this helps.

Vinod

Last edited:
Hi Aercy,

Not to take you off topic, I am sure that you can get a 42 inches plasma for that budget if you search. 720p surely.

I have gone thru your requirements and I feel that Rs 38,000 is a very decent budget to look for a 42 inches in plasma.

Why don't you also check out the 42 inches X or XT series in Panasonic, also the 490 in Samsung (They are offering a free blu ray player or HT I am not sure here locally in Bangalore).

Since you do not seem to have gaming requirements, plasma might suit your bill. Please do not go by the LED hoopla put forward by salesman (I have nothing against anyone who buys LEDs but this is just my opinion) at the end of the I feel that plasmas give the best blacks and a better viewing experience, only caveat being a dark room and a slightly large electric bill which can be reduced by proper calibration.

Only thing to watch out for is the burn in issue common in plasmas. You can find many FMs who are totally satisfied with their plasmas.

Hope this helps.

Vinod

Thanks Vinod, I am sorry but I should have mentioned that GAMING is indeed the primary requirement. Accept my apologies. For the same reason I am going for LED LCDs or IPS and avoiding Plasma and VA LCDs. Thanks for your suggestion.

@aercy understand you have narrowed down your search and wanting to decide between Sony, Panasonic, Sharp and Toshiba. Id like to share my experience here, I had recently purchased a LG 32 Full HD, LED TV (Model: LS 4600) from eZone, Bangalore. It cost me 33,000/- as it was on festive offer during the last weekend.

This model has an IPS panel so this means that the viewing angle is much wider, DivX HD certified, Screen resolution is 1920 x 1080p and delivers stunning picture quality. Also has 3 HDMI inputs so you can connect your sources, 1 USB 2.0 and this plays most audio and video formats, since it bought it only a couple of days ago, I have figured out that to doesnt support .m2ts media format while some Sony models did when I was auditioning however Sony in some models didnt support .mkv which is a widely available format but this LG model does.

The LS 4600 has LAN connectivity and Digital audio out (coaxial/optical) slot, also the TV has thin bezel and is a much thinner component. You can look up this model online and understand its other features which are quite good.

You may refer to the below link to know more on user reviews and make your choice accordingly. I have been using LG products for many years know and their prompt service is what made me choose the LG TV.

URL: LG 32LS4600 LED 32 inches Full HD Television - LG: Flipkart.com

Good Luck!

Thanks Prakash, I will definitely have a look at the HDTV.

Thanks Vinod, I am sorry but I should have mentioned that GAMING is indeed the primary requirement. Accept my apologies. For the same reason I am going for LED LCDs or IPS and avoiding Plasma and VA LCDs. Thanks for your suggestion.

Not a problem, go ahead with your LED purchase. What do you mean by VA LCDs?

Vinod

Not a problem, go ahead with your LED purchase. What do you mean by VA LCDs?

Vinod

VA is Vertically Aligned; VA LCDs are not good for gaming. Usually LCDs are of two types, VA and TN, the later is most common for monitors. You can find more detailed info if you search with 'TN vs VA vs IPS' string

Hello again, Guys. After carefully reading all possible reviews, articles and suggestions on various topics. I have narrowed it down to only two final models and I'll settle for one or the other. Click on the hyper-linked model number to check them on FK.

1) Sony Bravia 32EX330 - 32,900
2) Sony Bravia 32EX550 - 37,900

Usage - HD Set-Top Box, HD Movies, Gaming on PS3

Now, for one last time, help me with your valued opinion and suggestions. I will be much obliged.

Hello again, Guys. After carefully reading all possible reviews, articles and suggestions on various topics. I have narrowed it down to only two final models and I'll settle for one or the other. Click on the hyper-linked model number to check them on FK.

1) Sony Bravia 32EX330 - 32,900
2) Sony Bravia 32EX550 - 37,900

Usage - HD Set-Top Box, HD Movies, Gaming on PS3

Now, for one last time, help me with your valued opinion and suggestions. I will be much obliged.

Hi Aercy,

I have a doubt. When you can get a full HD for this price why you are looking for Half HD? You have a HD set top box and you want to enjoy hd movies then go for full HD (1080p) TV.

Nowadays, the TV channels itself telecasting in 1080i.

Choosing a sony is a good decision but before that take a look at samsung also. I have a samsung LED which supports nearly all video formats including some of the .flv formats.

Take some video file with you and get tested before buying.

Guys, please help me out on this

Hi Aercy,

I have a doubt. When you can get a full HD for this price why you are looking for Half HD? You have a HD set top box and you want to enjoy hd movies then go for full HD (1080p) TV.

Nowadays, the TV channels itself telecasting in 1080i.

Choosing a sony is a good decision but before that take a look at samsung also. I have a samsung LED which supports nearly all video formats including some of the .flv formats.

Take some video file with you and get tested before buying.

Hi Asaldharan,

The reason behind not going for 1080p models are,
1) 720p vs 1080p on 32" LED - hard to differentiate
2) 75-80% contents I am gonna use on the TV will be 720p such as PS3 games (99% are 720p), HD STB (tell me how many 1080p channels are there?)
3) I am on tight budget and want to go for Sony only; so I doubt I can get 1080p LED at INR 38k.

Thanks.

Just my opinion and not distracting you from your choice.
If I was in same situation, I would prefer 1080p with 100Hz model rather a 720p. Playing Games with 100Hz will be nice.

Later you'll be bitten by the itch called collecting movies (BDs/Downloaded content, etc.)

Siva

Just my opinion and not distracting you from your choice.
If I was in same situation, I would prefer 1080p with 100Hz model rather a 720p. Playing Games with 100Hz will be nice.

Later you'll be bitten by the itch called collecting movies (BDs/Downloaded content, etc.)

Siva

All the Samsung and Sony models advertising 100Hz are actually just 60Hz panels with a feature to enhance it to 100Hz. I am specially refereng to Sammy's 32EH5000R. And the two Sony models I have shortlisted have the same 100Hz ('Motionflow') feature.

Hi Asaldharan,

2) 75-80% contents I am gonna use on the TV will be 720p such as PS3 games (99% are 720p), HD STB (tell me how many 1080p channels are there?)
3) I am on tight budget and want to go for Sony only; so I doubt I can get 1080p LED at INR 38k.

Thanks.

Hi Aercy,

Of course you can get a 1080P TV in this budget. Also it is true that you cant differentiate 720P and 1080P. Technology is growing like anything especially in electronics. So I feel its better to go to the latest one which is in the market.

To answer your question, had anyone thought there will be a digital cinema ( through STB) will come when we were watching channels through cable? Likewise tomorrow may be the channels can deliver in 1080P. I believe Star movies HD is telecasting in 1080i resolution now.

Playing a 720 P content in 1080p TV is not a problem but viceversa is really a problem.

When i bought a 1080P (full HD ) TV, I felt like there wont be anymore up-gradation in resolution but see now 4K TV's are on the way.

It's my opinion to go for a 1080P TV but the final decision is of course yours.

Hi Aercy,

Of course you can get a 1080P TV in this budget. Also it is true that you cant differentiate 720P and 1080P. Technology is growing like anything especially in electronics. So I feel its better to go to the latest one which is in the market.

To answer your question, had anyone thought there will be a digital cinema ( through STB) will come when we were watching channels through cable? Likewise tomorrow may be the channels can deliver in 1080P. I believe Star movies HD is telecasting in 1080i resolution now.

Playing a 720 P content in 1080p TV is not a problem but viceversa is really a problem.

When i bought a 1080P (full HD ) TV, I felt like there wont be anymore up-gradation in resolution but see now 4K TV's are on the way.

It's my opinion to go for a 1080P TV but the final decision is of course yours.

Hi again Asaldharan,
As you can see in my first post I am looking to use this one for 3 o 4 years max after which I would be upgrading to 46 inch Full HDTV. So I guess for the time being one these two Sony 720p ones will serve me well.

Thanks.

3) Toshiba 32PS20 (30k)

Questions:

B) What about 3 and 4?

I have gone through your entire thread and would like to say the models you have in your wish-list were all worth buying since, youre looking for comparison then alongside Sony or Panasonic models you mentioned; look at some LG models though 32-inch LM3410 the admirable features about this model is its passive 3d capabilities at such an economic price. I did a small research for your thread and found the best quoted for the same model on eBay.

This model has IPS integrated and support HD 720p picture quality; the most interesting feature was its dual play dedicated to gaming, so if you look at such features I guess youll be able to short cut your list among various aspects.

Beside this you can also have a look on LG LS series they are also well sounded in industry and have a positive consumer response.

To be honest I personally dont have any experience with Sharp TVs so I wont suggest you for them, else there are more models I need to recommend you among Samsung and Sony, but wondering whether theyll be in your budget or not!

Lastly I would highly recommend you no matter which brand you go for, the main thing you should do is a self research compare couple of models from different aspects and if possible then move out and have demo once; I guess itll help you out more to fix one for buying.

Last edited:
Absolutely, I would go and compare all the shortlisted models against each other on important criteria. Thanks for helping.

Hi Asaldharan,

Thanks.
You have your thoughts correctly aligned. There is no need for 1080p in 32" size - you will not know the difference. Lest one forgets, 32" is same size as 29" considering total area. Even sitting as close as 4', you will not make out much difference other than letters/text.

In fact, there is no need to go with LED lit models either. Plain CCFL LCDs will also do nicely. Since you are looking to upgrade in 3/4 years time, why waste money now? I would say stick to a budget of 28K or lower.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back