Sony KDL-55/47/42 W800A - Owners and Aspirants

Udhay, I do understand all the backlit versions of LCDs are bound to have some this bleeding \ clouding effect. I wasn't sure how much is acceptable and how much is one has to live with.
I had some clouding on the top right and bottom. On the top left hand side just a little right to the corner there are two downward rays of light leaking. Very minor but can be observed in dark room.

Karan, my only problem was I didn't have many samples to compare whether mine is worse or in fair range.

I will try to get the image as described on many threads may later tomorrow and try to post it for people to comment.

As commented by many, the clouding is a little less when I calibrate with some tweaked settings of CNET. It is prominent with Eco mode -> Light Sensor off. That basically I think increases the backlighting which causes this to happen. Also during watching movies with black bars it isn't visible that much. Opening rich pictures and when I observe the corners, the image isn't washed out either. But again it is there only when all the room lights are completely switched off. Since it is in my living room, I didn't observe it in the initial weeks as it the room is well lit. I chanced upon it on a cloudy day with some High Def content playing with dark background for a while.

Why dont you guys try my calibrated settings and let me know if it helps with your clouding effect?

With my settings, i experience very good black levels with little to no clouding effects.
I do not use my settings for gaming as am not sure how it will affect the input gaming lag.

Just want to know something. Clouding is something that we see from day one or it can start happening over a period of time?

Just want to know something. Clouding is something that we see from day one or it can start happening over a period of time?

I think, with this set, it is from day one. One may not realize it or spot it unless one knows about the concept of clouding effect.

Udhay, I do understand all the backlit versions of LCDs are bound to have some this bleeding \ clouding effect. I wasn't sure how much is acceptable and how much is one has to live with.
I had some clouding on the top right and bottom. On the top left hand side just a little right to the corner there are two downward rays of light leaking. Very minor but can be observed in dark room.

Karan, my only problem was I didn't have many samples to compare whether mine is worse or in fair range.

I will try to get the image as described on many threads may later tomorrow and try to post it for people to comment.

As commented by many, the clouding is a little less when I calibrate with some tweaked settings of CNET. It is prominent with Eco mode -> Light Sensor off. That basically I think increases the backlighting which causes this to happen. Also during watching movies with black bars it isn't visible that much. Opening rich pictures and when I observe the corners, the image isn't washed out either. But again it is there only when all the room lights are completely switched off. Since it is in my living room, I didn't observe it in the initial weeks as it the room is well lit. I chanced upon it on a cloudy day with some High Def content playing with dark background for a while.

Hi any new Update...? Hope you might be in the process of getting your set replaced???

Udhay, Still waiting for a replacement. Promised during next week timeframe. Lets see how it goes.
For my other room meanwhile I purchased 46W950A. Man the blacks are awesome in that one and luckily no clouding as well for me. As far as the color pop goes, I still prefer my W800 somehow. I know it sounds weird technically, but since my W800 is in bright room, I still like the picture it produces. Calibrated the W950 with the settings from CNET and some modification.
W800 is calibrated in standard mode for more pop :)

Udhay, Still waiting for a replacement. Promised during next week timeframe. Lets see how it goes.
For my other room meanwhile I purchased 46W950A. Man the blacks are awesome in that one and luckily no clouding as well for me. As far as the color pop goes, I still prefer my W800 somehow. I know it sounds weird technically, but since my W800 is in bright room, I still like the picture it produces. Calibrated the W950 with the settings from CNET and some modification.
W800 is calibrated in standard mode for more pop :)

Hi,
I agree with you on the black levels of 950, sadly its high priced (for me)... please clarify.. after watching 950 you still like 800's colors and pic qty?

Hi,
I agree with you on the black levels of 950, sadly its high priced (for me)... please clarify.. after watching 950 you still like 800's colors and pic qty?

W950 has local dimming .. picture more bright

W850 doesnt have it .. otherwise W850 would have been awesome TV.

I dropped plans to buy W850 due to that.

950 46inch looks so small before 47inch W850 .. i dint like the 46 inch of w950 .. it looked 44 inch infront of 47 :sad:

to be future proof .. always buy tv with local dimming and high motion rate.

Hi Friend,

I have successfully connected Samsung Galaxy note with W800 using Wifi Direct. :)

Steps to follow

Home -> Settings -> Network Settings ->Enable Wifi Direct.

Once this is done, from your phone, select a picture and share using Wifi direct.

This will search for Wifi direct enabled devices nearby and will display your TV name.

Select TV name and a message will be displayed on your TV asking for confirmation "with your phone name".

Once you select Allow/Yes in TV, the picture currently displayed in mobile will be displayed on TV. The best part is that the picture in TV will change based on the current pic you are viewing in your mobile.

Similarly you can share videos using the native Android video player.

Once you connect the phone using the above mentioned steps, an icon will appear on the phone in the video player named "Display 1". While watching video if you select this icon, video will be played on TV.

Hope this helps, please feel free to message me in case of any dbts.

I tried the above steps, it is still not connecting. Then i tried using AllShare (Samsung) which work like magic... But after the update of my Note1, AllShare no longer their.... However, i will try your suggestion again. Thanks..

How do you people clean the SCREEN of W800 series TV? Using any special cleaning agent.

Use a soft lint-free cloth for cleaning the screen, the one that come with spectacles. Don't use any kind of cleaning liquid like Colin directly on screen. If you must then wet the cloth with little water and add Colin to that cloth and then try but it's not advisable.

My suggestion : Use only dry lint-free cloth.

Use a soft lint-free cloth for cleaning the screen, the one that come with spectacles. Don't use any kind of cleaning liquid like Colin directly on screen. If you must then wet the cloth with little water and add Colin to that cloth and then try but it's not advisable.

My suggestion : Use only dry lint-free cloth.

Thanks for your suggestion...:)

Hi,

Yeah I liked the 800's colors. May it is because it is 55 inch or may be the calibration is different, I don't know. Kind of very different from most reviews I would say.
Update on my replacement: Still the unit is not replaced. The 800 is out of stock and hence I agreed to pay the MRP difference of 10K to get 850 instead. I paid them DD today and keeping my fingers crossed on when they will deliver the new one since it has been almost month and half. Since I have the current TV, I am still fine. Also just praying that the new 850 does not have any issues.

Yeah I liked the 800's colors. May it is because it is 55 inch or may be the calibration is different, I don't know. Kind of very different from most reviews I would say.
Update on my replacement: Still the unit is not replaced. The 800 is out of stock and hence I agreed to pay the MRP difference of 10K to get 850 instead. I paid them DD today and keeping my fingers crossed on when they will deliver the new one since it has been almost month and half. Since I have the current TV, I am still fine. Also just praying that the new 850 does not have any issues.

When I saw w800 , the colors really caught my attention. Similar to the plasma TVs.
Maybe the IPS panels produce good colors than their VA counterparts.

Hello Guys :)
nice to be here .. as m new to it :yahoo:

planning to buy 42W800A . .
wanted to ask whether its HDMI ports version are 1.4 or 1.3 ??
want quick rpl :)

are you sure ? B'coz its not mentioned any where ..
n i asked in sony customer care . . they said we have no idea
btw Thnks :)

hi...im want to buy sony 42w800a.. i wanna ask about the 3d...

has anyone try sbs to 3d ??it is good???thanks...sorry for my bad english

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back