Sony KDL-55/47/42 W800A - Owners and Aspirants

Guys,

I had my mind set on 55W800 and was going to buy that but Sony crumbled my plan by launching W850 recently. So, today i went to see the W850 in the Jumbo, tried it out for about 15-20 minutes. Few points i would like to state according to what i felt:

1. The brightness is pretty low on W850. On both TVs when backlight was full and the brightness was 50 on both, the W850 was not bright as W800 so i moved the brightness to 80 on W850 (50 on W800), still the W850 was not even close to the W800.

2. The W800 is more fun to watch because of its brightness and how brightly it was showing the objects that was there in the video played on the blu-ray.

3. The only thing i felt good upon W850 was that its colours were denser than on W800 but not by much. It was noticeable only if u look with concentration and compare the two.

Rest both TVs are same. As Jumbo didn't have TataSky HD, so i couldn't get the chance to see how the colours would feel on W850 while playing Tata Sky HD, whether it will be the same or its just for the triluminous disk in the blu-ray.

Now i am pretty confused coz i feel W800 is better but as every one is saying that Sony will discontinue W800 or the triluminous is the future, so i don't want to end up with a discontinued model or with an obsolete technology.

Money is not an issue for me i can shed an extra 10K for a better TV.

Guys please help which model should i go for ?

Regards,
Shivam

You will never watch TV at full brightness at home without hurting your eyes. Looks good only in showrooms. W850 is very good else consider W950.

Guys,

2. The W800 is more fun to watch because of its brightness and how brightly it was showing the objects that was there in the video played on the blu-ray.

3. The only thing i felt good upon W850 was that its colours were denser than on W800 but not by much. It was noticeable only if u look with concentration and compare the two.

Now i am pretty confused coz i feel W800 is better but as every one is saying that Sony will discontinue W800 or the triluminous is the future, so i don't want to end up with a discontinued model or with an obsolete technology.

Money is not an issue for me i can shed an extra 10K for a better TV.

Guys please help which model should i go for ?

I can understand your confusion. Check with Sony to know if they are discontinuing W800. If so the choice is simple. Get W850.
If not, then it boils down to individual choice. What do you value more. It depends only on your eyes. I felt W800 better compared to the TVs I checked that time and went for it as it was true value for money. If I had to buy now and if the difference between W800 and W850 is less than 10k (for 55 inches) I might choose W850. Else even today I would pick W800.

Hi Shrey,

Thanks for pointing out the differences but I never said W800 is better than W850.

-----------------------
As you recently brought W800, i know you don't like the fact that w850 is out there for just for few extra bucks. Its ok

Sanjeevji and Saran were right i was trying to point out difference. As many are confused between W800 or W850.
----------------

Yes, its true I have recently bought W800 knowing the fact w850 is available for few extra bucks. But, honestly I was not willing to shell out those extra bucks when I dont get any extra benefit out of it...

Hope, you had bought W850 recently and njoying that..

Regards
Siva

Does this play all video formats including subtitles?generally Sony does not support subtitles so I want to know about this model.

Hi Shivam,

All the TV models are getting discontinued by 1-2years. I tell you a fact, 6 months back we had bought a Sony 40 inch LED for our office Video conferencing but to my dismay that model is discontinued now although its under warranty. So, if 800 is getting discontinued in 3months, 850 will be discontinued in 6-8months and Sony will come up with 860/870 and it keep goes.

Coming to Triliminous, these technologies are ever changing and don't even think Triliminous is going to be the ultimate for Sony.

Believe your eyes and take your family opinion. Go ahead. IMHO, this forum is better than Showroom / Sony Technicians and they confuse more. So, analyze and take better decision. I have bought W800 recently by considering all the facts.

Thanks - Siva

Hi Venkat,

The latest Sony models plays most of the video formats. According to sony website, it supports following formats.

MPEG1/ MPEG2PS/ MPEG2TS/ AVCHD/ MP4Part10/ MP4Part2/ AVI(XVID)/
AVI(MotionJpeg)/ MOV/ WMV/ MKV/ WEBM/ 3GPP/ MP3/ WMA/ LPCM/ JPEG/
MPO.

Since, last one week i had tried most of the formats and it does play well. Unable to play FLV.

Thanks - Siva

Hi Venkat,

The latest Sony models plays most of the video formats. According to sony website, it supports following formats.

MPEG1/ MPEG2PS/ MPEG2TS/ AVCHD/ MP4Part10/ MP4Part2/ AVI(XVID)/
AVI(MotionJpeg)/ MOV/ WMV/ MKV/ WEBM/ 3GPP/ MP3/ WMA/ LPCM/ JPEG/
MPO.

Since, last one week i had tried most of the formats and it does play well. Unable to play FLV.

Thanks - Siva

Thanks for the clarification.have you tried playing movies with subtitles?does it support srt format?

Hi all,
Sorry for breaking the forum flow as i am in a great confusion.

I am a proud owner of 47w800a (pls check my sign). But when i watch during night or low light condition i could see clouding effect more on top right corner of the screen.

I understand the TV is edge lit and clouding at low light condition is common. But clouding which is slightly pronounced at top right corner is bugging me whether is it a faulty panel or so.. if it s common for all in here then i can start living with it.. But during daytime absolutley no clouding i can see.. Especially when i see movies with black bars above/below.

I need some advice from experts in here...

Thanks in advance

Panel Lottery!!!
LED panels have DSE, Clouding and Light bleeding. If the problem is severe then lodge a complaint to Sony. Also, check other pieces of same model in the show room.

Panel Lottery!!!
LED panels have DSE, Clouding and Light bleeding. If the problem is severe then lodge a complaint to Sony. Also, check other pieces of same model in the show room.

HI Sanjeevji,

Sony too have this panel lottery system ???. I heard Samsung has this. If so, how to check my panel?

Thanks - Siva

Panel Lottery!!!

Thanks for your inputs;
I dont find the problem is severe.

If the whole screen is black then the clouding appears uniformly in all areas (only during evenings when very low light at room). But if our w800 users confirms that there is no clouding at all (in any room condition) even with calibrated settings then i may think my panel is faulty and i can lodge a compliant.

I am not aware of these and so i need some more inputs before i decide on this. Meanwhile a week later i will even step in some showrooms and check it out. But a rock solid decision could not be made with showroom lightning conditions.

Experts pls advice on this issue a little further...:)

Thanks in advance..:)

Here are simple test for Clouding, backlight bleed and dead pixel.

Dead Pixel

Following software will help you to identify any dead pixels that might not be apparent during regular use.

Dead Pixel Buddy Free Download - Detect Dead Pixels

Clouding

To test for the presence of clouding, turn off your room lights, turn on your screen, but leave it unplugged from a video source. The blank screen should immediately show any hotspots.

Backlight Bleeding

You can usually identify bleeding via bright spots of light on the edges of a display, which are most evident in dark or low-light situations. As you test for clouding, any bleeding of the backlight should also be obvious as well.

Well it seems that Sony is discontinuing the W800.
I went to the showroom from where i picked up my 47"W800 2 months back.
I said i wanted to exchange it for the W850 and i would pay the differential.
The guy told me that they would take back the W800 for INR 75K.
I was shocked..Having paid close to a lac 2 months back and getting only INR 75K for it now.
He was telling that, the 47 W800 is now selling for just INR 80K brand new.

Damn Sony. Screwing with us like this.

Still the 800 experience aint so inferior when compared to the 850 that i'd be willing to forgo 25k ;)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back