Sony KDL-55/47/42 W800A - Owners and Aspirants

From the specifications in Sony India website, W800 and W850 seems to be using the same panel, whereas W900 and W950 are using a different panel with superior brightness and contrast. Anyways W800 is now discontinued and W850 takes its place.

As festive offer, PS3 is given free with W950, and 3D BlueRay Player with W900. But a mediocre headphone is given away with 800/850.

For someone looking for a 40/42, W900 looks a far better choice now.
W950 also became more attractive with the free PSP offer.

I don't think that can be compared to the one released in India. If you see the specs 3D is active in the US version indicating a totally different panel whereas Indian version is passive.

Dear All,

I spoke with Sony technician about the Trilumionus display. And as per him you can't make much difference between the conventional & Triluminous. Channels which are bad in W850 looks better in W800 and its Vis a Vis. So, it is mainly targeted for the people who has deep/big pockets.

W800 Always rocks and it is selling like crazy in Showroom and Gray markets. You don't even get this model quickly and people are reluctant to reduce the price especially for this model.

So, W800 owners and aspirants -- you made best choice if you don't want to shell out 5-6k more for nothing.

Thanks - Siva

I don't think that can be compared to the one released in India. If you see the specs 3D is active in the US version indicating a totally different panel whereas Indian version is passive.

Exactly my point. The 900 series uses the VA panel from Sony which is responsible for the local dimming and deeper blacks (and active 3D). I guess Sony is using the same panel as in W800 (from LG) which is passive 3D without local dimming or deep blacks. So I guess the triluminous tag is more of a marketing gimmick. For me if you really the best picture quality go for 900/950. I guess 800/850 are very much identical and get whichever is cheaper and with more discounts. The W800 I would still guess is true value for money.

Exactly my point. The 900 series uses the VA panel from Sony which is responsible for the local dimming and deeper blacks (and active 3D). I guess Sony is using the same panel as in W800 (from LG) which is passive 3D without local dimming or deep blacks. So I guess the triluminous tag is more of a marketing gimmick. For me if you really the best picture quality go for 900/950. I guess 800/850 are very much identical and get whichever is cheaper and with more discounts. The W800 I would still guess is true value for money.

That's right, W850 is the W800 plus triluminous.......

Few points:

1) Sony technician is incorrect. There is difference in PQ Quality specially with skin tones.

2) VA (panel) is way the LCD crystals are arraigned. It has nothing to do with local dimming which is related with back lighting (edge). You can have local dimming on VA or IPS panels. VA panels owing to their vertical alignment offer good black level at a cost of viewing angle.

3) Passive 3D has a special filter in the panel called Film Patterned Retarder. Hence panel of 3D active and passive are bit different.

The point to be noted is that US version is not comparable to Indian one. And also no mention of local dimming on Indian website which would have been an important selling point for W850.

Dear Friends,

I have called Sony Customer Care and inquired about the Local / Frame dimming between W800 & W850. They confirmed, W800 is frame dimming but unable to comment on W850's dimming mechanism and said will check and call back. It has been 6 hrs, no one has called. But Sony Center showroom guy told like W850 is neither Local nor Frame dimming rather it is Triluminos Display. Panel wise both the TVs are same and of no difference only you will get better color contrast in W850.

So, I dont think W850 uses Local dimming.

Regards,Siva

Congratulations Siva! Welcome to the W800 club.. I'm sure you would love it. Coz
I'm madly in love with it..
and strangely SD quality content is also watchable!

You have made the right choice! ;)

Dear Friends,

I have called Sony Customer Care and inquired about the Local / Frame dimming between W800 & W850. They confirmed, W800 is frame dimming but unable to comment on W850's dimming mechanism and said will check and call back. It has been 6 hrs, no one has called. But Sony Center showroom guy told like W850 is neither Local nor Frame dimming rather it is Triluminos Display. Panel wise both the TVs are same and of no difference only you will get better color contrast in W850.

So, I dont think W850 uses Local dimming.

Regards,Siva

How they can say that Panel wise both are same when W850 is using Triluminous panel. I am now quite sure that Sony Customer Care person is not aware of the technical aspect. We need to get hold of the right person.

Hi Sanjeeviji,
Yes panel wise both are same.. W850 differs only in the backlight passing mechanism. Otherwise both are good TV, as am again and again insisting its all buyers own preference considering various factors.

So why to worry, w850 buyers loves their choice at the same time w800 owners too love their Tv and dont repent.... Happy dussera!! Njoy your tv shows.
Thanks - Siva

Don't be deceived by Sony or any other brand salesmen..
Think wise :) If they are telling W800 is better than W850 then its a clearance sale trick.

Same Panels? not sure.. even if they are: TRILUMINOS is part of the backlight and not a software algorithm.

Checkout this video about TRILUMINOS :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJg3WNfZdjk

This year SONY'S TRILUMINOS T.V's has Incredible PQ & some of the best black levels.

SONY is banking on Triluminos Display's and all upcoming Sony T.V & Mobile phones will have TRILUMINOS DISPLAY.
Best example: Sony Xperia Z Ultra (Phone) and W850 (T.V) are powered with Triluminos display.

W850 is better than w800 and there is no doubt it.

Last edited:
I have called Sony to have some more details on dimming technology. Also, I have a feeling that Sony will discontinue W9* and W800 series and continue with W850. What is the point in having W800 and W900 at 5K difference. Person who is spending 80K+ wont mind in spending 5K more!

@ sanjeevji Better do some research on your own or ask an expert online. Some times we know better than salesman or tech team.

Hi Shrey,

Noboday said W800 is better than W850. And W950 is better than w850 it goes like this. So, why to worry. IMHO it all depends on people choice and buying capacity so, it does make sense to buy W800. So, whether it is 800 or 850 or old CRT.. People still enjoy their own choice and TV.

Thanks - Siva

I agree personal choice will be there but in this forum we should debate on technical merits of TV. This will help fellow community to take right decisions as we know how technically non competent are sales persons.

Rightly said ,there is no harm in pointing out the differences in technology between two versions in the same price range.

Hi Sivasubbusn,

You did say that W800 is better than W850

Dear All,

I spoke with Sony technician about the Trilumionus display. And as per him you can't make much difference between the conventional & Triluminous. Channels which are bad in W850 looks better in W800 and its Vis a Vis. So, it is mainly targeted for the people who has deep/big pockets.

W800 Always rocks and it is selling like crazy in Showroom and Gray markets. You don't even get this model quickly and people are reluctant to reduce the price especially for this model.

So, W800 owners and aspirants -- you made best choice if you don't want to shell out 5-6k more for nothing.

Thanks - Siva

As you recently brought W800, i know you don't like the fact that w850 is out there for just for few extra bucks. Its ok :)

Sanjeevji and Saran were right i was trying to point out difference. As many are confused between W800 or W850.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back