Sony KDL-55/47/42 W800A - Owners and Aspirants

Hello guys,
First of all, thanks a lottt for all the information. :)
After a lot of research I have planned to buy a 55 W800 by next week.

I want to know the best price of the same available out there..(except grey) so that I could negotiate a good price.

My viewing distance would be around 10 ft from the screen. Would it look pixelated with SD and 720p content on the 55 from that distance?
Or should I go with 47 w800 or 45 w950?
Would love to have the 55 for a home theatre experience but confused about the pixelation :/
I feel from a few years from now,every content would turn into HD but ...erm many of the PS3 games are in 720p.
I'm not sure how it'll look on the 55.
Please help.

Secondly, I heard from the demo guy that a dedicated BD player is better than the BD player in PS3.
I could not find much difference except from the connectivity. Please clarify. :)

Lastly, has anyone tried the DLNA sharing from the PS3, does it work fine?

You can also check 47W850. Its a new model and would cost you approx 1.07 L. It has almost all features of W950.

My viewing distance would be around 10 ft from the screen. Would it look pixelated with SD and 720p content on the 55 from that distance?
Or should I go with 47 w800 or 45 w950?
Would love to have the 55 for a home theatre experience but confused about the pixelation :/

Secondly, I heard from the demo guy that a dedicated BD player is better than the BD player in PS3.
I could not find much difference except from the connectivity. Please clarify. :)

Almost all SD content will be blurred in HDTVs even smaller size , (only in 32 it will be cool)
720P should be great even on 55. And 55 is the best size from 6 feet. After watching 46 for a long time I think its small.

Regarding the BD player, never ever listen anything what demo guys, or showroom salesman talk about technology. True or false. Get knowledge from other sources like internet. Do your own research.
Usually I wont even allow the salesman talk about technicalities on any products except the price, availability, offers .

Hello Experts,

I want to connect my cellphone (Samsung NOTE 1) to W800 using Wifi Direct.
How to accomplish this task?

Thanks

Hi Friend,

I have successfully connected Samsung Galaxy note with W800 using Wifi Direct. :)

Steps to follow

Home -> Settings -> Network Settings ->Enable Wifi Direct.

Once this is done, from your phone, select a picture and share using Wifi direct.

This will search for Wifi direct enabled devices nearby and will display your TV name.

Select TV name and a message will be displayed on your TV asking for confirmation "with your phone name".

Once you select Allow/Yes in TV, the picture currently displayed in mobile will be displayed on TV. The best part is that the picture in TV will change based on the current pic you are viewing in your mobile.

Similarly you can share videos using the native Android video player.

Once you connect the phone using the above mentioned steps, an icon will appear on the phone in the video player named "Display 1". While watching video if you select this icon, video will be played on TV.

Hope this helps, please feel free to message me in case of any dbts.

Hello guys,
After a lot of research I have planned to buy a 55 W800 by next week.

1. Please by all means go for 55 inches. Choose between W800 or W850 depending on your liking of 2D and 3D. But 55 inches at 8 feet is amazing. Don't make the mistake of a smaller size and repenting later. I have 55 inches and watch both HD and SD at around 8 feet. Amazing

2. Dedicated BD player is bull shit. The PS3 is considered as one of the best blu ray players available if not the best. It also automatically gets all the latest updates from Sony. Only problem is remote but you can use the PS3 controller or get a compatible one easily. Don't allow the salesman fool you. I did not buy a blu ray player only because I have plans of a PS4

Thank you for the replies.
Yes I have finalised on the size "55". Don't want to regret later. :)
Coming to W850.. No doubt the price is almost the same.. 10ks more from W800 but the only difference is the "trilumious display". Yes there's is certainly a difference in the blues and greens on comparing with w800 side by side but I'm not sure if it would make sucha big difference when W800 s at my place with nothin to compare to.

But then I even had planned to go with W850 55 inches..but sadly..they say it could take a month or so for the 55 to be out for sale.. Only 47 is available now.
And I have already waited for long ..not sure if I could go more a month more with tonnes of movies n ps3 titles waiting to be played :p
Would buying W800 55 a loss? I hope not.
And my viewing distance would be around 10..so I'm glad to hear the contents are watchable. :)

So most probably I am buying the W800 55 on this 10th ! XD

There's another thing I came to know today that.. There could be panel failure without any reason..could be voltage or anything and the new panel if out of warranty could cost almost a lac. :/
that makes me ask u guys.. Do you use a surge protector or voltage stabilizer for the t.v?

And lol true .. You should never ask or listen to anything that the salesman sings about :p except the price.. And it gets funny when the samsung guys start showing off there "gesture contols" xD

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think it is absolutely fine to go with 55" W800A. Only thing that you might want to check is the black levels on W850 compared to this. I guess the 850 is an active 3D in case if that influences your decision. I wanted a passive 3D panel.
You won't believe me. I broke my head over the voltage stabilizer and surge protector, the company, the order in which they should be connected etc.. etc. I have come to know that the TV itself has a good voltage stabilizer which is good enough. I needed 4 outputs and hence chose an MX surge protector with 4 out. TV, Set top box, Amplifier and my Wii are connected to it.

See if you can get some diwali gifts/discounts/offers.. so near now..

Even I am considering to buy a 55 inch and for budget reasons scoped it to W800A instead of the 950. Since this is for my hall with a viewing distance of 13ft approx, I decided against plasma as I will not have a good control on the lighting. Now wondering whether it is advisable to wait for 55 w850a as it is not currently showing up at least in the sony website vs going ahead with 800a. Also I was under the impression even 850a was passive 3d which seems incorrect. Planning to checkout in showroom sometime this week.

The diwali-dusshera offer from sony is out. http://www.sony.co.in/product/resou...ages/bravia/marketing/bravia-diwali-offer.jpg

Guessmewho, thanks :)
I guess the W850 is passive as well. And I'm not sure if I could wait a month or more for the W850 55 to be out.. Plus how big a difference the "trilumious" will make.
Do you think 'trilumious' wud make that difference?

Il ask for more details about the surge protector and other hands on stuff after I get the t.v :)

Last edited:
Okay .. Latest update. :p
The shop says w850 55 could be reaching in a week or so.. Confusion grows!
Now gotta see if the trilumious one has any other issues.. With the input lag and all..
Plus.. The trilumious is not that bright in comparison to the previous models.
Any views in trilumious here?

I would say for people who has sight problems will feel triluminous is not bright. Thats expected because of prolonged and wrong usage of CFL lighting.
For a normal eye sight person its brightness is more than sufficient. And Sony wont release something stupid without doing proper testing.

I could see the colours are on par with even CRT. So if you are looking for LCD, then triluminous is the best option.

Okay .. Latest update. :p
The shop says w850 55 could be reaching in a week or so.. Confusion grows!
Now gotta see if the trilumious one has any other issues.. With the input lag and all..
Plus.. The trilumious is not that bright in comparison to the previous models.
Any views in trilumious here?

I demoed W900 next to W800. W900 has a better color production specially for skin tones. Input lag is same. Overall W900 looked better. I would believe that W850 to have same characteristic as W900 except in black reproduction as W900 is VA panel.

I would say for people who has sight problems will feel triluminous is not bright. Thats expected because of prolonged and wrong usage of CFL lighting.
For a normal eye sight person its brightness is more than sufficient. And Sony wont release something stupid without doing proper testing.

I could see the colours are on par with even CRT. So if you are looking for LCD, then triluminous is the best option.

true, the brightness of the Triluminous was a little less compared to the other one..but i am not sure how that connects to the exterior CFL lightening?
But anyway, i guess the lower brightness showed a better skin tone.. skins looked a more on the pink side rather than complete white (bloodless) on the other ones,maybe coz of the high brightness.
Plus, i guess the brightness can be increased :)

I demoed W900 next to W800. W900 has a better color production specially for skin tones. Input lag is same. Overall W900 looked better. I would believe that W850 to have same characteristic as W900 except in black reproduction as W900 is VA panel.

yes, skin tones and the RGB colours looked good.
Glad that they would have the same lag.

what am confused about is.. is the enhanced colour 'gamut' or what they call it.. does that look 'real' or natural ..or little made up or too much of it ?
:)

Guys,
I just bought W800A,have some questions to be answered before I go for accesories

1. Anyone using 2TB HDD with it directly? I attached 1TB and it works fine, if 2TB is compatible too then I'll purchase a new one.:yahoo:

2. I heard there are certain 3G dongles that goes well with this :mad:, any feedback?

3. I tried playing 8 GB movie though 1TB HDD, and it got struck in between, is it something to do with the file size/HDD size? (same plays well in my laptop :clapping:)

4. Presently it lies on 3.5 ft table, soon planning to wall monut at abt 4ft hight, will it provide OKAY viewing angle?:cool:

KD

Last edited:
Guys,

3. I tried playing 8 GB movie though 1TB HDD, and it got struck in between, is it something to do with the file size/HDD size? (same plays well in my laptop :clapping:)

4. Presently it lies on 3.5 ft table, soon planning to wall monut at abt 4ft hight, will it provide OKAY viewing angle?:cool:

KD

I could only try answering a few questions.
First of all, Congratulations ! :)

3. I feel the amount of power a 1 TB HDD needs could be a little more than what the T.V USB gives out. That could be an issue power up the 1 TB HDD properly. Whereas the laptop has enough power for them. and in some case an HDD also needs external power to be used on laptops as well.

4. I feel the centre of the t.v should be at the parallel straight vision of your eyes when you sit.. or a lil higher, not much.
You can fix up the wall mount taking this into account.

Unaware of the other stuffs for now.. :indifferent14:

Guys,
I just bought W800A,have some questions to be answered before I go for assesories

1. Anyone using 2TB HDD with it directly? I attached 1TB and it works fine, if 2TB is compatible too then I'll purchase a new one.:yahoo:

2. I heard there are certain 3G dongles that goes well with this :mad:, any feedback?

KD

1. I am using 2TB with w950 without any problem. Should be no problem for you as well.

2. No idea.

3. Must've got something to do with the format. Even 30 gb files play well in my case.

4. Yes 4 ft should be fine.

Latest Update!

Thoroughly spent an hour or so playing around with W800 55 and W850 47 at the showroom!

And I went with W800 !! XD
Getting it mounted tomorrow!!..can't wait..

Few points which I feel was better with the W800 are..

N.B "Compared to W850 ONLY" not with W950

Though they calling the trilumious tech produces more natural colors..but it felt the contrary.. The reds and particularly greens and blues were a lil exaggerated..
Green at some points went to hit the fluorescent which looked weird and blue looked more in the Cyan side.. I was more comfortable with the subtle and natural colors on the W800.

Secondly, yes. The brightness/backlighting of w850 on MAX was equivalent to the brightness/backlighting to 2 on the W800.
When you increase the brightness of it.. It looses contrast!
W950 dint have this issue..the backlighting is good even with the trilumious thingie.
Problem is..u could decrease the backlighting of W800 to your comfort as the factory setting has a lil too much of it BUT u CANNOT increase the same in the W850! Reason?..backlighting is already at Max :/

Third, W850 is still far away ..and I just could not wait any longer! ;)

Detailed reviews could b coming up soon!

Last edited:
1. I am using 2TB with w950 without any problem. Should be no problem for you as well.

2. No idea.

3. Must've got something to do with the format. Even 30 gb files play well in my case.

4. Yes 4 ft should be fine.

Thanks ANWHAMMMER & DHANAN,

I gathered something abt compatible plUg and play dongles through Sony salse guy there are certain configuration printed on the dongles that has to be ckeched , soon post it here:yahoo:

Dhanan, thanks for 2TB hdd feedback,I too guess so that media player (inbuilt) in both models soulld be same. I will be buying a new companion for my TV soon,though I have new questions
>> which HDD make/model you possess?
>> is it external powered ?

in my case the problem with 8GB playback was certainly something to do with HDD (1TB), As the same file plays well when stored in 40 GB HDD.Interesting part is video starts and got struck afetr 30-40 minutes.

Though the same 1TB HDD works well for smaller sizes, guess I need some more trail and error expepriments with other bigger files.

Also need to know if we can play 3D content stored in HDD :p, or we need dedicated BLUERAY Discs and play it through Blueray disc player/PS ??

Last edited:
Dear TV Gurus,

I finally narrowed down to buy W800A but have some questions. could you please answer?

1. How about the sound quality and performance ?
2. Non-HD channel PQ (Like Sun Tv / Vijay Tv :)
3. Has it inbuilt web browser? How about the surfing?
4. How to access the keypad?
5. What is the processor core (single / dual)
6. 3D performance as compared to LG 42LA6620.

Thanks a lot for taking your precious time out to answer my qustions.

Regards - Siva

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back