Sony KDL-55/47/42 W800A - Owners and Aspirants

the clouding/bleeding test:
i could defanitley see hot spots on the edges when room is full dark.... also slight bleeding

dead pixel test:
Thanks for the link i will check that out

Well it seems that Sony is discontinuing the W800.
I went to the showroom from where i picked up my 47"W800 2 months back.
I said i wanted to exchange it for the W850 and i would pay the differential.
The guy told me that they would take back the W800 for INR 75K.
I was shocked..Having paid close to a lac 2 months back and getting only INR 75K for it now.
He was telling that, the 47 W800 is now selling for just INR 80K brand new.

Damn Sony. Screwing with us like this.

Still the 800 experience aint so inferior when compared to the 850 that i'd be willing to forgo 25k ;)

75K repay is pretty good. Actual w850a price is around 80K. so you will end up paying only 5K for better one :)

Though you can't do much for that 25K :eek:hyeah:

sony 47w800
panasonic 50e6d
samsung 46f5500

which one has better picture quality(SD and HD) and which is really good in all aspects? Will be using it atleast for the next 5-8 years so which brand is more reliable?
Those who have seen these tv's kindly answer.

If i don't want 3d feature which is the best model in sony with excellent PQ?

Last edited:
all three are very good models...it is better you take a demo...some like the PQ of samsung over sony and some prefer the sony over samsung...it depends upon individual preference....50e6 is also a good model....but its SD is a little soft because of the bigger screen....

an acquaintance recently purchased 42E6D, and is elated with his purchase. he also received a warranty-cover against lightning-strikes with it!

all three are very good models...it is better you take a demo...some like the PQ of samsung over sony and some prefer the sony over samsung...it depends upon individual preference....50e6 is also a good model....but its SD is a little soft because of the bigger screen....

Thanks for the reply :).Some of these models are not available here .Most of the shops have only samsung and sony.I could not find panasonic 50e6d in any of the shops here :sad: .Since my priority is 50 inch i think i will have to wait to find a good non 3d LED if panasonic is not available here :(

Last edited:
why don't you try the panasonic showroom....may be you can get the 50e6 there...only panasonic has released a 50 inch led in the market...

bought 55W850a a week back.initially had apprehensions that SD channels on my ADTV HD would look washed out.confirming my worst fears, NGC SD channel showed loads of pixellation on 55W850 demo piece using the very same ADTV HD connection I use at home.but I was determined to take risk as I wanted to use it primarly for HD content and blu-rays.i already got 32HX750 to watch SD content.once I got W850 installed SD channels look exactly same as on my 32HX750 if not better.HD content was better by a notch or two.sound is a huge inmprovement over HX750.so any tv will look better at home as they share the same signal to many tvs in showroom for comparision which bring down PQ considerably even though they use HDMI splitter.by the way all my observations are made only with factory settings.didnt tweak them as im a novice.waiting for some FM to post best bunch of settings.

the clouding/bleeding test:
i could defanitley see hot spots on the edges when room is full dark.... also slight bleeding

dead pixel test:
Thanks for the link i will check that out

Udhay, what did you do with the TV?

I have 55W800A which I purchased this month in first week. I see the clouding or backlight bleeding when one makes the room dark. but with natural light or even with tubelight it isn't visible that bad. What I wanted to know is whether the Sony India would be fine with replacing it. I find it a little annoying when watching any high def content during night. Since i know it is there, I get diverted to that. So just wanted opinions here from the forum on how much is actually acceptable and what qualifies for a replacement. I don't recall noticing this when the TV was new. I did turn it on in completely dark situation.
I hope it isn't an indication of it will increase over period of time.

bleeding at edges is common on most led TVs... yes the intensity will vary between brands and also at times between pieces from the same brand & models... u can show it to service guy and if u insist for replacement ; they might replace it or u can get a cash back ... I know few who got the cash back for the same reason ... the moment u know there is something like a light bleed; you tend to look at it and can not ignore it ... but if u notice; in theaters as well the blacks are grey especially for the top bottom bars ;it is very evident... in fact TVs show much better blacks than theaters... but if u r too sensitive to this u should go for plasmas...

Udhay, what did you do with the TV?

I have 55W800A which I purchased this month in first week. I see the clouding or backlight bleeding when one makes the room dark. but with natural light or even with tubelight it isn't visible that bad. What I wanted to know is whether the Sony India would be fine with replacing it. I find it a little annoying when watching any high def content during night. Since i know it is there, I get diverted to that. So just wanted opinions here from the forum on how much is actually acceptable and what qualifies for a replacement. I don't recall noticing this when the TV was new. I did turn it on in completely dark situation.
I hope it isn't an indication of it will increase over period of time.

Hi zeus,
me too on the same situation... i could see clouding during low room conditions..some times it is comparatively more on right top & Bottom..

I raised a compliant with sony and they agreed to send a engineer home to check it out... But i am not gonna buy everything what he says or advice, because they may be biased ....

I may just push the sony guy visit for some days may be till diwali and meanwhile will check the same model if available with our forum members here.. If you stay in Bangalore, better we will check ourselves how this model behaves in low light conditions so that we will have concrete reason to talk with sony...

what is your openion?

Hi zeus,
me too on the same situation... i could see clouding during low room conditions..some times it is comparatively more on right top & Bottom..

I raised a compliant with sony and they agreed to send a engineer home to check it out... But i am not gonna buy everything what he says or advice, because they may be biased ....

I may just push the sony guy visit for some days may be till diwali and meanwhile will check the same model if available with our forum members here.. If you stay in Bangalore, better we will check ourselves how this model behaves in low light conditions so that we will have concrete reason to talk with sony...

what is your openion?
Today the engineer came by, took photographs and has agreed to recommend replacement for the TV. The Sony head office or the compromise department would be calling to confirm or may be offer me panel change option is what he said. He said it will take another 10 days for replacement. I will keep you updated on how this goes.
So usually I have never had a bad experience with Sony TVs. I have purchased 2 LCDs, 4 CRTs over period of last 10-15 yrs from Sony and for all them I had a positive experience. This is the first time I saw an issue. I guess just my odds ran out :).
Even I wanted to check out the same model in showroom in dark condition but the salesman wasn't comfortable switching off all lights which is understandable. I can check with someone if they are based out of Hyderabad on how bad\good the screen uniformity is with regard to cloudiness.
In fact i am in market again for planning a purchase of a 46 inch for my other room which is comparatively darker and will be used for primarily hidef movie content. Going to keep my fingers crossed for that. Looking out at 46W950A.

Today the engineer came by, took photographs and has agreed to recommend replacement for the TV. The Sony head office or the compromise department would be calling to confirm or may be offer me panel change option is what he said. He said it will take another 10 days for replacement. I will keep you updated on how this goes.
So usually I have never had a bad experience with Sony TVs. I have purchased 2 LCDs, 4 CRTs over period of last 10-15 yrs from Sony and for all them I had a positive experience. This is the first time I saw an issue. I guess just my odds ran out :).
Even I wanted to check out the same model in showroom in dark condition but the salesman wasn't comfortable switching off all lights which is understandable. I can check with someone if they are based out of Hyderabad on how bad\good the screen uniformity is with regard to cloudiness.
In fact i am in market again for planning a purchase of a 46 inch for my other room which is comparatively darker and will be used for primarily hidef movie content. Going to keep my fingers crossed for that. Looking out at 46W950A.

Hi its a good start to a solution...
Could you please brief how much is the intensity is your clouding? Is it distributed all over or any particular side/corner its more or less...?
Do you feel that this model should not show clouding at all???

Would like to add that clouding is a common feature for this TV set.
All the sets would have it.
Mine too has it.
But i feel the intensity has to do with the PQ settings.
For eg. in my case, when i use my calibrated settings (Posted in this thread), there is hardly any clouding that i see.
But when i use the default game settings for my PS3, I can clearly see clouding effect.

All this is based in a completely dark room.
Hope this helps.. Cheers :)

Would like to add that clouding is a common feature for this TV set.
All the sets would have it.
Mine too has it.
But i feel the intensity has to do with the PQ settings.
For eg. in my case, when i use my calibrated settings (Posted in this thread), there is hardly any clouding that i see.
But when i use the default game settings for my PS3, I can clearly see clouding effect.

All this is based in a completely dark room.
Hope this helps.. Cheers :)

yes karan you are right;
with some calibrated settings i could see some clouding.. the black screen appears grey in complete dark room.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back