3D-FullHD-BluRay ---> What next?

ukjeyaraj

Hi All,

I remember the good old days of owning a mono philips tape recorder, which was gifted by one of my aunts. As kids we use to tune the tape head for getting optimal treble and bass :rolleyes: and hunt for good recording centers to record a list of 15 songs in TDK-D90 casettes. (Ofcourse there was vintage HMV before that, and I could not recollect much about it)

Few years later came CD player and my cousin brought home the first CD player in our family (Sony CD which can just play audio CD, no MP3, VCD or any such thing). When I bought my first VCD player Sony D-V500 movie experience was amazing. I still remember my grand mom scolding me for wasting money in useless stuffs :sad: .

Then came DVD with 5.1 surround, that gave a new dimension in watching movie. People started to make atleast 4 holes(2 front + 2 surround speakers) in their walls, to have theatre experience at home.

Now blu-ray with 7.1, DTS-HD, Dolby True HD and with 3D in addition has made DVD look inferior. Also we have HD rips and HD Media players.

What is going to be next?
Multiple dimension, Videos without the need for screens, Highly customisable movies (where actor and actress for characters can be chosen by viewer), Videos that can be not just seen and listened but can be felt

I was just browsing on the net and many are either discussing or working to bring out better technology and experience than what we have currently. One such interesting link is given below.

What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision - Blogs

Request all users to share their knowledge and expectations on "what next"

U forgot to mention the vhs I mean video deck used to play movies before 1997,there will be tracking adjustments which clears the line disturbance on screen ,i was small at that time and I used to open the cabinet and clean the lens of it using petrol...
Small flash back...
All r sweet memories...

U forgot to mention the vhs I mean video deck used to play movies before 1997,there will be tracking adjustments which clears the line disturbance on screen ,i was small at that time and I used to open the cabinet and clean the lens of it using petrol...
Small flash back...
All r sweet memories...

Exactly, I missed it. I remember opening few VHS tapes and applying band-aid ;) to it. There used to be a philips VHS head cleaner spray to remove dust and dirt from the head. Sometimes opened the VHS case to clean the head manually with soft cloth. Though I have never owned a VHS deck, its definitely not to be missed from the memory.

Last edited:
1440p is already being tested in japan...

soon its gonna be here.. and 3d movies with glasses will be a past..

as R&D is going on for holographic displays...

technolgy moving very fast .....1080 p very soon become hostory and take over by OLED LED TV ,3D TV without glasses , and i belive very soon we dont need HD player and storage media when internet speed will be 21 mbps soon with LTE /3G/4G ...then shared media , IP Streaming , Broadcast based device playing greater role .

Yeah! There wil be many new wi fi enabeled devices beyond our imagination. And that won't be applicable to AV devices only but home appliances too like fridge and washing machines etc.

Remember reading on net that Blu ray won't be longer than 5years as there will be new tech coming. I still beleive that DVD will stay longer than Blu ray as supplemntary medium of storage due to various factors. it will need much time to transfer SD to HD or SD become absolute as so much data is available. Good upscaling dvd players will not phased out soon. I am still seeing market flooded with new launch VCDs or hollywood dubbed original in the market to support conservative customers.

Again this is purely my thinking. Lets see after few years.

SD videos --480p ---720p--1080p --1440p--then 2000p you will see drastic change of Video quality very soon like 2~3 back peaple 0nly knows LCD TV but nowdays picture frame , mobiles comes in OLED display ....make sense .

My experiences in audio are Valve Radio, Vinyl, Transistor Radio, Cassettes, CD, MP3 Downloads, Internet Radio and in video are VHS, VCD, LD, DVD, BD.

Tweaking has been carried out for antenna and 'screwing' the IFTs in radio, tape/video head adjustments using thomsun cassettes from Gelf as reference, and later some DIY cassette players, amps and speakers in pots and cartons.

These memories are cherished and nostalgic.

I opine that streaming media is the future for both audio and video. Personal media such as Vinyl, CD, DVD and BD may still last a while though the use of SSD such as memory cards/stick may increase.

SD videos --480p ---720p--1080p --1440p--then 2000p

I think we are very close to point of diminishing returns with resolution.

For example, VCD->DVD transition was amazing. Difference in picture was perceptible even to laymen.

From DVD->1080p, you do get better quality but difference is lesser than VCD->DVD.

Yes. We very much are quite close to the end of any real benefits from an even higher resolution. The thing to remember is that the benefits of resolution, due to the limits of the human eye, are directly co-related with the size of picture and the distance it is viewed from. Beyond a particular distance, given a particular picture size, the resolution actually becomes irrelevant.

For example, VCD->DVD transition was amazing. Difference in picture was perceptible even to laymen.

From DVD->1080p, you do get better quality but difference is lesser than VCD->DVD.

Yes. We very much are quite close to the end of any real benefits from an even higher resolution. The thing to remember is that the benefits of resolution, due to the limits of the human eye, are directly co-related with the size of picture and the distance it is viewed from. Beyond a particular distance, given a particular picture size, the resolution actually becomes irrelevant.
Exactly my thoughts when I was reading the first few posts in this thread. But never say never:).

3D without need for glasses is the need of the hour, but am sure a few more iterations are required before the technology can be flawless.

Thats the new domain of world and start New Era of HD technolgy,
Actually now War start, lets see what will happen next Year .....welcome 2011 :)

The gap between Movies and virtual reality will become lesser and lesser to an extend where Movies will become really "real". Networking will grow to an extend where smart homes will be common like DVD's now. Imagine you watching a movie in your mini theater when your microwave pushes a message on to the screen that your dinner is ready and your media center automatically pauses, or Washing machine pushing a message that washing is done. :clapping: There will be home releasing of movies when you can watch all your fave releases right in your mini theater streamed through your Gbps internet.

The gap between Movies and virtual reality will become lesser and lesser to an extend where Movies will become really "real". Networking will grow to an extend where smart homes will be common like DVD's now. Imagine you watching a movie in your mini theater when your microwave pushes a message on to the screen that your dinner is ready and your media center automatically pauses, or Washing machine pushing a message that washing is done. :clapping: There will be home releasing of movies when you can watch all your fave releases right in your mini theater streamed through your Gbps internet.

:lol: very true.Home automation is slowly becoming more common in the western countries,where all the electrical appliances(via IR/RF sockets connected to home nework) and lighting can be controlled remotely from anywhere in the world with your smartphone!!

Atleast please some one do research to deliver the technology at lower cost
I love and welcome newer enhancements in technology but the increasing cost of the content makes it no sense in INDIA to buy those wonders
VCD disks initally 300Rs --> 10Rs /20Rs
DVD discs initially 450Rs ---> 100/200Rs
Blurays initially 1000Rs ---->600Rs

Situation is pretty bad even with basic bluray .

Good BDRs are 600Rs so there is huge issue with collecting .

Do you people want to buy the movie disks like a Gold ring ? Knowing the fact that the disks will loose the value at the next technology change.

The pathetic situation of video lovers :
  • The busy collector
People are surfing net 1000Hours to get 1 movie at 12GBP then import them at the end of the month he will watch it and as he cant do it again very often he will watch the same movie 20 -100 times .
  • The 3d Man, pure looser
he has bought a 3d TV due to high buzz on 3d every where . After he got home one fine day he attempts to get a 3D BDR finds that disk is as cost ly as half of gold coin : 1400/1600Rs .
Then buys media player to play soft rips , there is huge problem in collecting ripped movies , as bigger size 30GB cant be downloaded easily .

Then he goes to vendors that sale preloaded Disks , they are taking 12000Rs for a 4000Rs HDD, or 25K for 5000Rs HDD filled with movies , all illegal .
In that 3d movies will be very limited .
So the looser (i know reality hurts)
lost
1.2lakh on tv ,
25K on the HDD,
5K on glasses
2k on Cable
12 K on the media player
=====================
-> 1.9 Lakh of items

but no satisfaction

will that type of technological wonders help ?

Atleast please some one do research to deliver the technology at lower cost
I love and welcome newer enhancements in technology but the increasing cost of the content makes it no sense in INDIA to buy those wonders
VCD disks initally 300Rs --> 10Rs /20Rs
DVD discs initially 450Rs ---> 100/200Rs
Blurays initially 1000Rs ---->600Rs

Situation is pretty bad even with basic bluray .

Good BDRs are 600Rs so there is huge issue with collecting .

Do you people want to buy the movie disks like a Gold ring ? Knowing the fact that the disks will loose the value at the next technology change.

The pathetic situation of video lovers :
  • The busy collector
People are surfing net 1000Hours to get 1 movie at 12GBP then import them at the end of the month he will watch it and as he cant do it again very often he will watch the same movie 20 -100 times .
  • The 3d Man, pure looser
he has bought a 3d TV due to high buzz on 3d every where . After he got home one fine day he attempts to get a 3D BDR finds that disk is as cost ly as half of gold coin : 1400/1600Rs .
Then buys media player to play soft rips , there is huge problem in collecting ripped movies , as bigger size 30GB cant be downloaded easily .

Then he goes to vendors that sale preloaded Disks , they are taking 12000Rs for a 4000Rs HDD, or 25K for 5000Rs HDD filled with movies , all illegal .
In that 3d movies will be very limited .
So the looser (i know reality hurts)
lost
1.2lakh on tv ,
25K on the HDD,
5K on glasses
2k on Cable
12 K on the media player
=====================
-> 1.9 Lakh of items

but no satisfaction

will that type of technological wonders help ?

I know the costs of the Blu ray discs are ridiculous,but trust me,with millions of people working everyday at the R&D's of the big AV companies,if there had been a slightest possibility of delivering such high quality BD images at a lower price,they would have done so.

We have to accept the fact that inflation massively contributes to such steep prices of new technologies.

But hey,we have to live in the moment..after all...You Only Live Once(YOLO)!!!! :clapping:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back