40-42 inch LCD (Samsung/Sony/LG)?

rob2651983

After a lot of research for a 40-42 inch LCD, i have finally zeroed in on the following LCD tvs.

LG-Scarlet 42LG60FR
LG-42LG80FR
Sony-KLV-40S400A
Samsung-LA40A550P1

My budget is 60k. I would use the TV only to watch 1080p and 720p movies from my pc through HDMI. So i am looking for the panel which performs the best and has the best picture quality for HD content.

Your views on this ould be greatly appriciated. Thanks.:)

I have the similar requirements and I've posted in the other thread - http://www.hifivision.com/television/3653-42-lcd-one-buy-5.html#post36764

I have cut down to those same models. I'm looking at these in the order of priority.
1. LG 42LG80FR
2. LG 42LG53R (will go for this if it's ~5k cheaper than the 80FR)
3. LG Scarlet 42LG60FR (the big flat area at the bottom of the screen looks silly IMO - it's one of the reasons I'm not so keen)
4. Sony KLV-40S400A

I might be going out today to another store today. I'll look for the Samsung LA40A550P1.

After a lot of research for a 40-42 inch LCD, i have finally zeroed in on the following LCD tvs.

LG-Scarlet 42LG60FR
LG-42LG80FR
Sony-KLV-40S400A
Samsung-LA40A550P1

My budget is 60k. I would use the TV only to watch 1080p and 720p movies from my pc through HDMI. So i am looking for the panel which performs the best and has the best picture quality for HD content.

well go for the sony S series, if not the samsung series 5,the sony has a slight edge in contrast and has lesser input lag.
but both the sony and samsung have a huge advantage in actual ANSI contral and shadow detail.

well go for the sony S series, if not the samsung series 5,the sony has a slight edge in contrast and has lesser input lag.
but both the sony and samsung have a huge advantage in actual ANSI contral and shadow detail.

Is Sony S series going to be better than samsung 5? I have not seen the two together though. I would be using the LCD for movies through my HTPC and games... no st stuff at all.

Sony or Samsung - go by your budget as they are pretty comparable for the most part.

LG-Scarlet 42LG60FR
LG-42LG80FR
Sony-KLV-40S400A
Samsung-LA40A550P1

both the Samsung and the Sony should be good options, I'd pick the Samsung simply because I am sure the Samsung will be available for slightly cheaper, and it looks a damn sight better than the Sony. I was (long ago) trying to decide between a Sony S series LCD and a Samsung 4 series LCD, and the pictures looked very very similar, almost nothing to choose between them, but i dropped the S series because it was costlier and uglier. Of course i finally went on to drop LCDs altogether and go for a Plasma, but that's another story.

Is Sony S series going to be better than samsung 5? I have not seen the two together though. I would be using the LCD for movies through my HTPC and games... no st stuff at all.

well then u can go for the sony S series since it has slightly lesser input lag so better for games and the slight contrast advantage.

both the Samsung and the Sony should be good options, I'd pick the Samsung simply because I am sure the Samsung will be available for slightly cheaper, and it looks a damn sight better than the Sony. I was (long ago) trying to decide between a Sony S series LCD and a Samsung 4 series LCD, and the pictures looked very very similar, almost nothing to choose between them, but i dropped the S series because it was costlier and uglier. Of course i finally went on to drop LCDs altogether and go for a Plasma, but that's another story.

Your story and experience with Plasma?

I purchased a Samsung LA46A550P1 on Friday for my bedroom. My friend who was accompanying me bought the LA40A550P1. We compared LG, Sony and other Samsung models (46A650/40A650) before deciding on LA46A550P1.

I had spent enough time analyzing the specs on the web. During the demo, LG had visibly lower picture quality. We could not see much difference between the Samsung 650 and 550 ranges, after we set all the brightness, contrast and other settings to the same level. Sony and Samsung could be tweaked to display similar pictures. So there was no point paying 30K more for 650 or Sony. 550 gave us all the features we were looking for.

Thanks,
Sharad

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back