46 inch plus TV .. HX750 or HX850 or ST50

Klix.. ST50 is not available.. so is GT50... so no way to demo...

Edges.. so u r in the same boat .. HX850 or ST50..

Lake- agree with the optional +2 yrs warranty available for Sony, it is same as Pana.. bad that both these models can't play MKV.. most of those HD movies (incl captured by our digi cams) are MKV.. so we need a player for that??

Rupee is gaining for last few days .. it may help these guys to reduce prices by Diwali.. just wondering..

Edges, Srujan.. do lemme know if you find a good offer.. something you can't resist type.. ;)

Last edited:
Wat is WDTV.. :confused: googled it & it says Western Digital media player.. not sure whether I will be interested.. one more gadget .. one more remote.. more cables.. makes life difficult.. in any case, I m not much of those kinda who download stuff and play (actually too lazy & no time).. happy enough with my Tatasky HD movies etc.. btw, I hv a Dell laptop that has HD output.. so I think in case of few odd occassion, the lappy will do it for me to play those MKV and similar other HD formats.. also with lappy I don't need to think much about any future formats.. as I can always download a compatible player for that...

BTW, can I play a 3D content as well with WDTV?? Whether my lappy can play 3D movies as well for the TV? hmm points to ponder?... If anyone can help me ? :confused:

if you need support for various video formats suggest to get a good media player. TV should primarily be bought based on picture quality. If I were getting superior picture quality I would not really be interested in the built in media player which is just about mediocre in most tv's.

if you need support for various video formats suggest to get a good media player. TV should primarily be bought based on picture quality. If I were getting superior picture quality I would not really be interested in the built in media player which is just about mediocre in most tv's.

+1.

Both Sony and Panasonic sets do not support mkv files. Only Samsung and LG TVs do.

Dell Latitude E 6320.. intel Core i5 (2520M @2.5 Ghz).. with 4 GB ram...32 bit OS.. Intel HD graphics..

wat is GPU? is it CPU you are talking about?

^
GPU = Graphics Processing Unit. Intel HD3000 in your case.

While your laptop is perfectly capable of playing 1080p 3D, I'm afraid you won't be able to view it on your TV. As HDMI 1.4 is required for 1080p 3D overHDMI.

Wat is WDTV.. :confused: googled it & it says Western Digital media player.. not sure whether I will be interested.. one more gadget .. one more remote.. more cables.. makes life difficult.. in any case, I m not much of those kinda who download stuff and play (actually too lazy & no time).. happy enough with my Tatasky HD movies etc.. btw, I hv a Dell laptop that has HD output.. so I think in case of few odd occassion, the lappy will do it for me to play those MKV and similar other HD formats.. also with lappy I don't need to think much about any future formats.. as I can always download a compatible player for that...

BTW, can I play a 3D content as well with WDTV?? Whether my lappy can play 3D movies as well for the TV? hmm points to ponder?... If anyone can help me ? :confused:

perfect plan!!! use your laptop as a HTPC with XBMC and no media player can beat that. There are enough threads on HTPC and XBMC but that is the way to go. I also used to use my imac before, now I used my laptop for the same thing. Hook up your laptop to your AVR or TV via HDMI and you are ready.

Hmmm ... it means more complications... Don't know, why SONY don't give such minor facilities like MKV players incl 3D, whereas they cost much more than competition.. is it a costly addition?

Kix.. that means ST50 has one benefit.. it can play MKV, and hopefully 3D contents too.. right?

Avmax.. can I use any special connector with my laptop so as play 3D?.. in any case it will be rare occasions.... so not much of an issue.. and by the time we get real 3D contents very commonly, the technology will evolve to next level, it might happen that the 3D provided in current gen TVs may become obsolete.. in any case, as long as the 2D HD contents can viewed in their full glory, I will be more than happy.. ;)

Now wait is on for a special deal that might come around Diwali.. keeping my fingers crossed..

perfect plan!!! use your laptop as a HTPC with XBMC and no media player can beat that. There are enough threads on HTPC and XBMC but that is the way to go. I also used to use my imac before, now I used my laptop for the same thing. Hook up your laptop to your AVR or TV via HDMI and you are ready.

aakashr.. well the terms you are coining, HTPC & XBMC.. I am hearing for the first time.. anyway googled it.. and it seems it is like creating a entire personal media centre kind of a thing..

BTW, both these terms actually looks like allows you to do much beyond the regular movie playing facility.. but not sure it still can help you with 3D content.. as avmax said needs HDMI 1.4.. :confused:

@manzb

Sony hx850 is cheaper than its competitors, not more expensive. Plasmas are cheaper to produce so I am not including them under direct competition.

Last edited:
Sony hx850 is cheaper than its competitors, not more expensive. Plasmas are cheaper to produce so I am not including them under direct competition.

avmax.. you mean to say Sony for a change is cheaper.. hmm :eek: .. I hope they r not aware of this.. else we may see a hefty price hike to make it the premium product.. BTW, are you sure that competitor's equivalent products are costlier than SONY??

Hi i think ST50, HX850 and HX750 are very good tvs. If you watch in a brighter room you will really like the picture quality of Sony HX750 whereas both ST50 and HX850 are better tvs than HX750. I was also confused between ST50, HX850 and HX750 but in the end i bought HX850. I somehow like LEDs over plasmas. I am very happy with my purchase. You wont go wrong with any of the three so just buy what you feel is right for you. Panasonic ST50 is the value for money plasma with great picture quality, Panasonic GT50 is the best plasma tv, Sony HX850 is the best LED tv when it comes to picture quality and Sony HX750 is the value for money LED tv with very good picture quality but not better than HX850. I dont want to confuse you more but i can get you Sony HX750 46inch for 78k withoutbill and 55inch for 105000/- withoutbill ( wallmount + delivery + installation will cost extra 1500/-). Hope this helps. Tc. According to me if you like plasma tech go for Panasonic and if you like LED tech go for Sony. Both have their advantage and disadvantage.
I have been using a HD ready Sony LCD for last 5 years.. no issue, still happy.. but considering that now there are great TVs on offer at much bigger sizes, I am planning to upgrade. My choices revolves around following TVs
46 HX750 (close to 90K)
46 HX850 (close to 110k)
55 HX750 (close to 140k)
50 ST50 (close to 100k)

Though my budget is around a lac, I can stretch a bit if the TV is real getter..

I am planning around diwali (when better offers are expected), and can wait sometime more for the same, if prices are expected drop significantly.. I will use it in the hall and it is not bright and does not face any window or door, so plasma is also fine.. need your advice

i can get you Sony HX750 46inch for 78k withoutbill and 55inch for 105000/- withoutbill ( wallmount + delivery + installation will cost extra 1500/-).

aks316: The price you have mentioned for 55HX750 is mouthwatering... This is grey market item rt? .. so no warranty... :sad: ... How much 46 HX850 in the grey market?.. just curious..

But I am unlikely to go for Grey market.. unless I get it kinda @ half the price, so that even if it conks off, I can have a replacement with the 50% I saved.. ;) Feeling greedy ... :eek:hyeah:

avmax.. you mean to say Sony for a change is cheaper.. hmm :eek: .. I hope they r not aware of this.. else we may see a hefty price hike to make it the premium product.. BTW, are you sure that competitor's equivalent products are costlier than SONY??

Sony 46HX850 - 1.2 lacs
Samsung ES8000 46 - 1.4 lacs
LG LM7600* 47 - 1.25 lacs

Note: LG LM7600 is not a direct rival to the HX850 but a competitor to HX750, I couldn't get any pricing info for the 47 LM8600/9600 which are true rivals to HX850. But as you can make out, they too would be in the same range as Samsung ES8000. So Sony is cheaper by 20k.

55 inch prices

Sony 55HX850 - 2.05 lacs
LG 55LM8600 - 2.39 lacs
Samsung 55 ES8000 - 2.65 lacs

Last edited:
oops !! : signthankspin:.. for a change others are now more agressive with pricing than SONY.. Happy to know that Sony is not the costliest ... :clapping: ... actually LG, Samy has so many models, one will easily get fooled with a lower spec item while comparing with Sony, typically most of our buyers will ask Wat else u have? And the showroom guy will be happy to show you something that is a bit less costly with mfew more bells & whistles... and you most likely will end up buying them.. anyway, I was not aware of the Samy, LG range..

as I have almost pre-decided that it will be Sony, only because everyone here recommends Pana Plasma, I have included it as well .. ST50 seems -cheaper, bigger and also better.. but yet to see ST50 in flesh.. :rolleyes:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back