50' plasma

I can confirm that.

Panasonic quoted 2nd week of April as the latest date when non-display piece would be available.

Only LG has stock of 50PQ70 and 50PQ30.

Hey guys, As we all know, sony has already released the 2010 range of TVs. Samsung, LG and Panasonic release the new models during april timeframe.

Having this in mind, I guess all the three companies emptied their stock as it is march end already.

Further, even if you get a 2009 model available now, it is wise wait for around a month for the 2010 models to come. It is benefecial for 2 reasons.

1) If the 2010 models are released with almost same price and better features/design, it is directly beneficial.

2) In case the 2010 models are released with considerably higher price, the 2009 models will be sold at a lesser price than what it is today (sony did it).

The general trend in international market is, 2010 models are only 'very marginally' better than the 2009 models when it comes to PQ and 'essential' features. Most of the effort has gone into making the TVs thinner. (LG and samsung released the thinline series). Other features include internet connectivity and direct access to certain web pages etc which are fairly useless in indian context. The released price is also same or less than the 2009 models and 2009 models are sold with HEAVY discounts.

I think this will happen next month in india for LCDs after the 2010 models are released. Though looks like 2009 plasmas are already sold out.

Baseline is wait for the 2010 models if you are not getting 'considerable' discounts this month.

Panasonic quoted 2nd week of April as the latest date when non-display piece would be available.
I guess it's taking longer than anticipated to collect and consolidate all the unsold, last year model TVs, from accross the world and then dump them on Indian consumers and that too at double the prices. Thank you government of India for the total lack of consumer protection.

So its sheer bad luck for guys like me who always wanted to have a plasma rather than a LCD. Guess we waiting too long to grab a piece ;)

I actually waited for Pana to announce their 2010 series. But from whats released in US, it is disappointed. Acquiring Pioneer patents I expected lot of improvement in PQ.

So hope that 2010 plasmas will be priced lower. Obviously it wont be discounted as in case of 2009 models. One expectation I have is the replacement models will be FULLHD making them more affordable then it is now.

Are there any 50PQ70 users here who would like to comment? I observed that it is considered next to Samsung and Pana in terms of PQ and I never saw it in showrooms.

Going thru this forum I know that its not the best. But how bad it is?
I will go through this forum about the 50PQ70 in the evening once I go home.

I did not get to compare LG 50PQ70 vs Panasonic G10. But as aginst Samsung 50B450 there was hardly any difference. Also Panasonic is priced very high in the 50" plasma segment. At 40" they match LG/Samsung closely.

I had Samsung B450 for a few days. Now replaced that with LG 50PQ70.

Can't find any difference in Picture Quality in these two. Sources are DVDs / Hathway Digital set top box and 720P videos from HDMI.

Can't find any difference in Picture Quality in these two. Sources are DVDs / Hathway Digital set top box and 720P videos from HDMI.

Blasto had also done a fairly detailed comparison between these two models. Please check out the thread on the same.

Wow. How many days did you have the B450 and PQ70?
I had the PQ60 and B450 for over a month each and there are starking differences.

To start with can you say,

1) Do you see the annoying channel logos/black bars in the top and bottom of the screen after viewing non full screen content after switching off the TV?

2) Reflection from the extended glass not offending your view?

3) In night time, when no input is connected to the TV, the TV displays "No signal" as moving wallpaper message. Do you not see phosphor trail in that? And how is the TV screen brightness compared to background? Annoyingly bright?

4) How is a dark scene from a movie viewed in the night? Can you makeout the details?

5) Do you mean colour reproduction is same? :eek:

If anything is negative for the above, PQ60 (that I had) and PQ70 are vastly different. But IMO they are not.

Left to me, I would decide on these parameters, in the order mentioned ....

1. After sales service (covers spares)
2. Reliability
3. Picture quality

Panasonic - great parameters but no after sales service
Samsung - fantastic PQ, bad sound .... but shaky after sales
LG - passable PQ, great SQ, prompt after sales

Not too hell bent on sound, as AVR/speaker combo is available. Would go by LG..... I think.

I had the PQ60 and B450 for over a month each and there are starking differences.

To start with can you say,

1) Do you see the annoying channel logos/black bars in the top and bottom of the screen after viewing non full screen content after switching off the TV?

3) In night time, when no input is connected to the TV, the TV displays "No signal" as moving wallpaper message. Do you not see phosphor trail in that? And how is the TV screen brightness compared to background? Annoyingly bright?

4) How is a dark scene from a movie viewed in the night? Can you makeout the details?

If anything is negative for the above, PQ60 (that I had) and PQ70 are vastly different. But IMO they are not.

Few people feel that the above post is aggressive.
Sorry. It was not my intension to do so. :)

Well, In case you are wondering, the above questions asked are genuine and no harm intended.

Left to me, I would decide on these parameters, in the order mentioned ....

1. After sales service (covers spares)
2. Reliability
3. Picture quality

Panasonic - great parameters but no after sales service
Samsung - fantastic PQ, bad sound .... but shaky after sales
LG - passable PQ, great SQ, prompt after sales

Not too hell bent on sound, as AVR/speaker combo is available. Would go by LG..... I think.

Samsung always has a bad reputation to after sales and one of our members itself is a recent victim. I should say I have been lucky so far.

Also, If you are getting the 'usual items' (read budget items which a lot of common people pick up), I think there would not be a problem with spares. Unfortunately, plasmas are considered 'not so common' ;)

Panasonic has an excellent track record wrt service in international arena as I see from reviews and forums. But in the indian scene, they price the items double and provide bad customer service as a freebee. I was never a fan of such things no matter what excellent products they provide.

LG is the one which strikes the chord wrt common man in india. They have above average products, alround performance (sound, features etc), priced very sensibly and have excellent customer support. Infact I have most of my household items from LG. Just that in case of TVs where subjectivity and focussed attention on PQ is required, LGs leave a lot to be desired.

Not for a long time. Had B450 for a week and got 50PQ70 last Sunday.

Before buying B450, I did extensive side by side comparison for 50PQ70 and PS50B450. Bought B450 since it was cheaper (55k in exchange for 29 inch CRT).

My criteria was :

1. Can it show 16:9 photographs properly ? If I shoot a picture, TV should show colors that are close to natural.
  2. Can it handle normal Digital cable properly?
  3. Can it handle 720p signal properly? (Bunch of DivX trailers)
  4. Does it show TIR

I could not differentiate between these two models for these parameters.

I shot Fuji's test pattern that has RGB + shade rectangles in the frame. Saved it as image and viewed on both TVs from HDMI. Both did not show it properly. But after fiddling with image settings, both worked fine. Repeated for few other test patterns and results were consistent.

For both, PQ is not comparable to CRT monitors used in labs, but quite good for running a slide-show of my photographs in living room.

Did not see that in either. IPL is going on and SET MAx logo stays on for a few hours. I changed channel just after that to check if logo leads to TIR. Did not notice it.

It does not, maybe because I mounted it a bit higher and tilted it slightly.

Maybe they changed it now. It does not move smoothly, it jumps across the screen. I mean if it is on lower left side, it will move to upper right after couple of seconds. So even if this issue exists, I would have not noticed it.

Do you have a test pattern video to check it?

I did have to fiddle with Color/Gama/Brightness/Contrast to reduce color bleed in PQ70. In some snaps, red was bleeding on white.

Yes, played trailers of shutter island. it has lots of dark scenes. And my photographs where some details are in shadow. It worked fine on both sets.

In my experience, if you are from Graphics/ Photography background, you would need to tweak both sets a lot to get to setting that work in a given situation. But for a normal user, both sets are adequate. Just reduce contrast / brightness from default, since it way too high.

If you shoot a frame that has highlights in R, G and B, you would have a tough time in getting all three colors right in TV. (I.e. shoot the test chart in same lighting as TV and keep chart next to TV and see if color shown in TV matches chart.)

PQ70 had a red tint, B450 suppressed few shades on chart. But both could be tweaked to cover most of the patterns on chart.

Overall, in my opinion both sets are similar for watching movies / sports / TV.
Unfortunately, showroom did not have Panasonic plasma for comparison.

what is the prevailing price of 50pq70 and how much do we expect it to fall when this years models come out?
Are there any 50" full HD plasma expected to be out soon?

Price of 50PQ70 is 62k.

Panasonic has Full HD plasma. But it is not available with Panasonic. Dealers have stock but chances getting a non-display piece are low from dealers.

Panasonic sales mgr quoted 2nd week of April for availability in Mumbai.

I was offered Panny 52C10 for 71.2K and LG 50PQ30 for 57K today.

I guess C10 is available for around 69K or so elsewhere...

Keen on picking up the LG TV...fair price for the model? Planning the close the deal tomorrow...

:cheers:

Store guy just called me and he says he can arrange for a 50B450 by Monday. I am offered TV+SunHD DTH for 60K. He is asking me an advance of 15K by tomorrow in case i want it.
Am really confused now :(
Hope its not a showroom model

I am aware that C450 will be available soon. Am sure it wont be available for discounted price. I feel 60K is good VFM considering SunHD DTH is 10K. I do not have a DTH system; am using local cable now. I have a Sony HTIB and so sound is not a concern.

So what do u all say? Is this a good decision?

Last edited:
Store guy just called me and he says he can arrange for a 50B450 by Monday. I am offered TV+SunHD DTH for 60K. He is asking me an advance of 15K by tomorrow in case i want it.

So what do u all say?

I am aware that C450 will be available soon. Am sure it wont be available for discounted price. I feel 60K is good VFM considering SunHD DTH is 10K. I do not have a DTH system am using local cable. I have a Sony HTIB and so sound is not a concern.

excellent deal... in my opinion you should go ahead..

Make sure it is brand new.. :) go through the other threads how to avoid getting a demo piece.. a number of members have shared their experience..

I am aware that C450 will be available soon. Am sure it wont be available for discounted price. I feel 60K is good VFM considering SunHD DTH is 10K. I do not have a DTH system; am using local cable now. I have a Sony HTIB and so sound is not a concern.

So what do u all say? Is this a good decision?

Go for it eyes closed!
And thank us after seeing it in person.

Make doubly sure that it is not a display piece.
Run full white screen to see any retensions.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back