7.1 system setup

sushmavarala

Hello All, Need experts advice.

Planning to install a motorized projector screen (120") and a projector epson EH TW 650. Was able to zero in these two. However am lost on the audio part of the setup. i have zero knowledge on audio systems. I understand that we would need 7.1 setup. The setup is being done in a living hall cum dining area. which is of 33 feet length and 13 feet width. Projector screen will be installed on the lengthier side. Need advice on ceiling speakers (8" with tweeters), sub woofer ( will one be ok?) and AVR. Looking for economical/budget range. Appreciate quick advice as need to get these finalized in next 2 days.

I am excited to see this forum and feeling bad/sad, as why i never found it in last few months.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Hello All, Need experts advice.

Planning to install a motorized projector screen (120") and a projector epson EH TW 650. Was able to zero in these two. However am lost on the audio part of the setup. i have zero knowledge on audio systems. I understand that we would need 7.1 setup. The setup is being done in a living hall cum dining area. which is of 33 feet length and 13 feet width. Projector screen will be installed on the lengthier side. Need advice on ceiling speakers (8" with tweeters), sub woofer ( will one be ok?) and AVR. Looking for economical/budget range. Appreciate quick advice as need to get these finalized in next 2 days.

I am excited to see this forum and feeling bad/sad, as why i never found it in last few months.

Thanks in advance for your support.
33*13 is a large room. Can you provide the distance calculations from your listening position? Providing a rough layout will be much helpful.Also what is your total budget? You may need dual subs but can first try with one good sub and later add one more. Don’t rush as 2 days is a small window. Wait for a week and you will have lot of suggestions by Fm’s which will help you decide better

First please specify your budget for avr speakers and sub
To be honest - we wanted to have projector and projector screen installed and assumed that's all and planned for 50K budget. As i contacted the sales teams - i learnt on 5.2, 7.1 etc. I am not looking for best in class items, but more of budget options, My viewing will be limited to movie , marriage videos and playing some ilayaraja songs once in a while on weekends or family gatherings ( remote possibility now).

All items needed if we can get in less than 1.5L will be great.

33*13 is a large room. Can you provide the distance calculations from your listening position? Providing a rough layout will be much helpful.Also what is your total budget? You may need dual subs but can first try with one good sub and later add one more. Don’t rush as 2 days is a small window. Wait for a week and you will have lot of suggestions by Fm’s which will help you decide better
33 X 13 is our living cum dining area in a 3 bhk flat. It is a rectangle, with entrance on one side of rectangle and french window opening to balcony on other side, where we plan to install the projector screen. I have put in placements based on my google searches. Hope this helps to guide me. i have learnt that we will need projector screen, projector, avr , ceiling speakers, subwoofer and related wiring, I am looking on as less budget as possible. I assumed projector and projector screen - 50K and we are done. Wasn;t aware of all the other items needed. I would like to finish off within 1-1.5 but definetely cannot go beyond 2 all put together. It will be great and helpful if i know two options for each - avr, ceiling speaker and subwoofer. Assume one subwoofer is enough?. All i am looking for is an occasional movie viewing, marriage/bday video , and may be some instrumental or ilayaraja songs playing.
Projector placing.png

33 X 13 is our living cum dining area in a 3 bhk flat. It is a rectangle, with entrance on one side of rectangle and french window opening to balcony on other side, where we plan to install the projector screen. I have put in placements based on my google searches. Hope this helps to guide me. i have learnt that we will need projector screen, projector, avr , ceiling speakers, subwoofer and related wiring, I am looking on as less budget as possible. I assumed projector and projector screen - 50K and we are done. Wasn;t aware of all the other items needed. I would like to finish off within 1-1.5 but definetely cannot go beyond 2 all put together. It will be great and helpful if i know two options for each - avr, ceiling speaker and subwoofer. Assume one subwoofer is enough?. All i am looking for is an occasional movie viewing, marriage/bday video , and may be some instrumental or ilayaraja songs playing.
View attachment 47195
Ok so you have a budget of 2L maximum. I would advise you to get the best 5.2 set up available in the budget. Atmos and surrounds can always be added later. A good 5.1 set up will give you an amazing cinematic experience for sure. With the x700 and xx15 series launched by Denon and marantz respectively you should be getting. Good discounts for the older models. I would highly recommend the marantz 5013 which was available in hifi mart for 60k. Grab it while stocks last. Remaining amount you can plan speakers, sub, projector and screen. 5.0 taga harmony should cost you around 30-35k. A decent subwoofer like the Bic pl 200, Polk HTs 12 which will cost around 40k should complete a 5.1 audio set up for 1.3L. Remaining 70k you can plan a projector and screen. Check hifi mart they are currently having few good 5.0 package deals from pioneer and taga harmony.

Ok so you have a budget of 2L maximum. I would advise you to get the best 5.2 set up available in the budget. Atmos and surrounds can always be added later. A good 5.1 set up will give you an amazing cinematic experience for sure. With the x700 and xx15 series launched by Denon and marantz respectively you should be getting. Good discounts for the older models. I would highly recommend the marantz 5013 which was available in hifi mart for 60k. Grab it while stocks last. Remaining amount you can plan speakers, sub, projector and screen. 5.0 taga harmony should cost you around 30-35k. A decent subwoofer like the Bic pl 200, Polk HTs 12 which will cost around 40k should complete a 5.1 audio set up for 1.3L. Remaining 70k you can plan a projector and screen. Check hifi mart they are currently having few good 5.0 package deals from pioneer and taga harmony.
Thank you for suggestions. I am looking for guidance on ceiling speakers.

Ceiling speakers also available in polk and taga harmony.
Thanks for your response - i have been given a quote for Stonewater Speakers -each pair 11800 x 4, = Rs. 47200 , Denon AVR Rs.58000 and Taga Harmony subwoofer Rs.35000. This is one time setup i am looking as i move into the new flat and wont be changing for another 10 years for sure

Any better options in terms of price?

I have locked down on motorized projector screen - liberty
and Epson Projector

Thanks for your response - i have been given a quote for Stonewater Speakers -each pair 11800 x 4, = Rs. 47200 , Denon AVR Rs.58000 and Taga Harmony subwoofer Rs.35000. This is one time setup i am looking as i move into the new flat and wont be changing for another 10 years for sure

Any better options in terms of price?

I have locked down on motorized projector screen - liberty
and Epson Projector
What avr? And 11800*4 so I assume ceiling speakers. Why 4 pairs?

I meant what model? And why 4 ceiling speakers. Are u planning 4 over head speakers for atmos ?
i requested my vendor that i don't want any speaker on the floor or standing speakers. whatever speakers will be they have to be on the ceiling. And i am not aware of what atmos is

i requested my vendor that i don't want any speaker on the floor or standing speakers. whatever speakers will be they have to be on the ceiling. And i am not aware of what atmos is
Ok all speakers on ceiling is not the right way to set up a HT. It’s weird that you have planned like that. Any particular reason?

Anything on floor will need lot of maintenance , dusting and will make the rooms smaller as the width of the hall is small. So i insisted on getting the ceiling speakers. Can you please help what would be the challenges?

Anything on floor will need lot of maintenance , dusting and will make the rooms smaller as the width of the hall is small. So i insisted on getting the ceiling speakers. Can you please help what would be the challenges?
If you don’t want to place speakers then go for a good sound bar. There is no point in going for an avr and installing 4 cheap speakers on the ceiling. For example if u play a 5.1 movie the recording will be such that the centre channel reproduces the dialogues and most of the details that you hear in the movie. The centre channel should be placed below the tv or screen exactly at the centre. Reason is you will feel like the person in the screen is speaking to you. The front two speakers works with the centre channel and gives more depth and the LCR becomes the main component in the set up and will you a sound image as if the scene in the movie is happening in front of you. The rear surrounds works to widen the sound stage like when there is a crash or explosion it gives you a feel it’s happening around you. For example if there is an explosion the characters in the movie will hear sound all around them and there will be a lot of object sounds. All these Sound effects will be produced by the surround speakers.So this is how the 5.1 audio is meant to be heard. Now imagine u place these speakers on top. There will be no imaging in the sound stage at all. I explained roughly. please refer dolby guidelines for speaker placement. You will get more clarity

Please take a bow !! i see meaning after you explained in a subtle way. this helps me understand better for a layman like me. So what are the items needed if i have to get the same effect as what you explained using ceiling speakers. May be i can get better ceiling speakers - those that produce the same effects. I am learning A B C D here and planned to write a novel in 2 days. Please help !!

Please take a bow !! i see meaning after you explained in a subtle way. this helps me understand better for a layman like me. So what are the items needed if i have to get the same effect as what you explained using ceiling speakers. May be i can get better ceiling speakers - those that produce the same effects. I am learning A B C D here and planned to write a novel in 2 days. Please help !!
No matter how good the ceiling speaker is you can’t get the same effects. Avr and installing all speakers in ceiling is totally wrong. Best option for you is to get a good soundbar. There are some expensive sound bars that give you virtual surround and height effects. This is the only option for you if you don’t want to place any speakers in the living room.

No matter how good the ceiling speaker is you can’t get the same effects. Avr and installing all speakers in ceiling is totally wrong. Best option for you is to get a good soundbar. There are some expensive sound bars that give you virtual surround and height effects. This is the only option for you if you don’t want to place any speakers in the living room.
ok. thanks for enlightening me. So now along with Projector, Projector screen , sound bar what else would be needed. i will drop the idea of ceiling speakers altogether. Sound bar is single component or multiple components /items?

Do we still need subwoofer and sound bar?

Please guide on placement of the sound bar

ok. thanks for enlightening me. So now along with Projector, Projector screen , sound bar what else would be needed. i will drop the idea of ceiling speakers altogether. Sound bar is single component or multiple components /items?

Do we still need subwoofer and sound bar?

Please guide on placement of the sound bar
Most of the sound bars will come with a subwoofer. A sound bar will be a single speaker that needs to be placed in the centre, below the tv But not sure how you can make it work in a projector set up. You will need a player that has two Hdmi outputs. One for video that will be connected to the projector and another output will be for Audio which can be connected to the sound bar. Why don’t you try going for an avr speaker set up? A lot of Fm’s have set it in their living room and with the right gears it should only look more appealing.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back