7.1 system with a budget of 5 lakhs

wassup

Hello folks!

I used to lurk this forum a lot but this is my first post. :)

Please help me out in building a truly professional home theater system for my new home. I'm having a dedicated 27' x 27' room for home theater purpose. Having a budget of 5 lakhs. Can stretch it to 6 if needed. Will be using it mainly for movies (75%), sports(15%) and the occasional gaming. I'm looking for suggestions for the following equipment and their prices.

1) HD Projector & screen
2) AVR
3) 7.1 speaker setup
4) Blu ray player

I'll be hiring a consultant but wanted to see the forum's suggestions before hiring one. Any contact in Hyderabad for a good consultant would be appreciated. And how much do they charge generally?

This is a very large room. Assuming your ceiling are at a height of 10 feet, your room is 7300 cubic feet.

What you have to consider are the following:

1. How many people will watch at a time? This will decide the number rows of seats/recliners that you have.

2. Screen size. This will decide how far you have to sit from the screen, and where the projector will be.

3. How much of the room you will actually be utilising for movies. For example, if you install a 120 inch screen, you will be sitting some 15-18 feet from the screen. What will you do with the rest of the area? You cannot install rear speakers some 10 feet away from the viewer. If you do, the amplification required will be huge.

4. Do you have a budget for acoustics. Given your room size, acoustics is essential.

I think it is important to get a professional consultant to design the HT for you. You can make too many mistakes and curse yourself later.

Cheers

5 lakh may not be sufficient for a dedicated listening room, if you take into account the "professional" room treatment. I talked to a showroom in new delhi kalkaji about doing a smaller room for me (15x15) and they quoted ~15 lakhs for room treatment only. My room in question is yet to be built given the distance issues, I am living close to my job in a rented place.
For equipments only, I think 5L would be sufficient, if you make the right compromises.

About 2 lakhs for projection system depending whether you want a motorized screen, projector lift etc. If you want to go cheap like me, 1 lakh is minimum where manual screen is used and a decent projector is put to duty.

For front 2 speakers budget at least 75k to 1L if you want good towers.
For a pair of sub that can shake the room, 1-2 lakhs.
Surrounds and center - 5 of them should cost you another 1-2 lakh.
For avr budget at least 50k for the lower end ones. If you want processor + surround amp you can try emotiva as it may turn out cheaper and much better than other brands.
A decent bdp - 30-40k - upcoming oppo 93.
Most of these figures are approximate. A lot of it would depend on brands and deals you are able to get.

This is a very large room. Assuming your ceiling are at a height of 10 feet, your room is 7300 cubic feet.

What you have to consider are the following:

1. How many people will watch at a time? This will decide the number rows of seats/recliners that you have.

2. Screen size. This will decide how far you have to sit from the screen, and where the projector will be.

3. How much of the room you will actually be utilising for movies. For example, if you install a 120 inch screen, you will be sitting some 15-18 feet from the screen. What will you do with the rest of the area? You cannot install rear speakers some 10 feet away from the viewer. If you do, the amplification required will be huge.

4. Do you have a budget for acoustics. Given your room size, acoustics is essential.

I think it is important to get a professional consultant to design the HT for you. You can make too many mistakes and curse yourself later.

Cheers

1. I've attached the 3D model designed by the architect to give you a fair idea.
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5431/ffhometheatre.jpg

2. I was thinking of 100 inch?

3. How expensive would that amplification be? The whole of the room would be sitting area. Either fixed recliners or a lounge type sitting. The room is in a very early stage. Walls and plastering are done. False ceiling to be started in a couple of weeks. So I'm open to suggestions. With what else could I fill the space with?

4. Yes, I do have a budget for acoustics. The 5 lakh budget is just for the equipment. How much should I allocate for the treatment?

I'm definitely getting a professional for the job. Just doing my research on the forum so that I don't look like a fool in front of the consultant. ;) I'm going to meet the ProFX guys next week and will let you know how it goes.

Buddy...

You have a nice budget...
But, at this stage there are many options that open up, but the problem occurs, for what to choose..

For this budget we prefer the following :

Q Acoustics 7.1 Package
2050 - FloorStanders - Fronts
2020 - Bookshelves - Rears
2010 - Bookshelves - Sides
2000c - Center
2070s - Subwoofer

Amplifier
Denon - 1911 - 7.1 Amp

Projector
Optoma - HD-22 - Full HD

Screen
Grandview - 120" Diagonal

Cables
QED Speaker Cable
QED Sub Cable
QED HDMI - Source to Amp
QED HDMI - Amp to Projector
QED Co-axiale

Recliners
5 x Single Seaters

Automation - Optional (But good for Dedicated HTs)
Lighting + Curtains + AC + AV

Total Approx. Rs.6Lakhs for AV + Approx. Rs.1Lakh for Automation
(Above are approximate MRPs) discount will defer, based on your requirements...

I will suggest you start auditioning the packages...

Sorry i forgot to add the Acoustic Treatment... Keep minimum Rs.50K to Rs.1L for that...
Depending on the material and design you choose...

1. I've attached the 3D model designed by the architect to give you a fair idea. http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5431/ffhometheatre.jpg

If you are looking at anywhere close to the picture you have posted, you are looking at a budget of around 50 lakhs. :)

2. I was thinking of 100 inch?

That is fine. Given your room size you can comfortably look at 100 to 120 inches screen. The viewing distance has to be taken into account.

3. How expensive would that amplification be? The whole of the room would be sitting area. Either fixed recliners or a lounge type sitting. The room is in a very early stage. Walls and plastering are done. False ceiling to be started in a couple of weeks. So I'm open to suggestions. With what else could I fill the space with?

Ideally, what you should do is to fix in-wall or on-wall speakers that are merged as part of the acoustics and panelling. These speakers have a large throw, but, at the same time, are difficult to drive.

There are two options in terms of amplification. One is to go for a high end receiver that has some 100 to 150 watts per channel. Another method is to look for a medium receiver that has pre-outs and attach a multichannel amp.

Either way you are looking at between 1.5 lakhs to 2 lakhs. Audire makes a excellent multi channel amp based one of the best class D designs in the world. The reason I am saying this is because it is difficult to get an equivalent amp at around that price. Please speak to Audire about it. Companies such as NAD, Arcam and other also make multi channel amp, but you are looking at around 3 lakhs for such equipment. One way is to get the Emotiva processor (UMC-1), though I do not have any personal experience. But people like Santhosh and Subash are very happy with it.

4. Yes, I do have a budget for acoustics. The 5 lakh budget is just for the equipment. How much should I allocate for the treatment?

This is very difficult to estimate. In general a good acoustical consultant will charge you close to 50,000 for a CAD design that tells you what to do in terms of acoustics. Then you have to employ a local carpenter/interior decorator to do the job. Again depending upon the material used, you would be look at anywhere from 500 to 1000 Rs. a square feet. Material is available from a number of companies across India, and there have been detailed discussions by Santhosh, George, Subash and others. In addition to others, please follow these threads

http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhanc...ing-my-home-theatre-room-please-guide-me.html

http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhanc...y-home-theater-room-need-your-guidance-5.html

I am sure Santhosh, George, Subash and other will chip with advice. I am getting my room acoustics done and will post detailed blow by blow account in the next few weeks.

Cheers

Last edited:
@Mridulgoel - Which brand are you talking about for automation? 'cause he quoted 2 lakhs for Crestron system.

How does this sound?

DENON 3311
FOCAL 816 V tower speakers
Focal Chorus CC 800V center speaker
Polk FXI A4 Surround speakers (4 no.)
Polk subwoofer PRO 600 (2 no.)
Optoma HD 82

I can go for a complete Focal system if I take HD20 instead of HD82. What is your opinion? In the quote given by ProFX, the video equipment costs the same as audio (around 3 lakhs for each). He included Optoma HD82 which is almost double the price of HD20. I've auditioned both of them. HD82 was definitely better but it doesn't justify such a huge difference. Maybe I should view both of them again. Tell me your preferences.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention. He offered a discount of 10% on the final price quoted for the audio equipment & 12% on the video equipment.

@Mridulgoel - Which brand are you talking about for automation? 'cause he quoted 2 lakhs for Crestron system.
No i am not talking about crestron... and i have suggested 1 Lakh approx...not two...
How does this sound?

DENON 3311
FOCAL 816 V tower speakers - Nice
Focal Chorus CC 800V center speaker - Nice
Polk FXI A4 Surround speakers (4 no.) - No
Polk subwoofer PRO 600 (2 no.) - No
Optoma HD 82 - Nice but quite expensive for your budget...

What about the cables, sitting, acoustics, source, screen, etc...
@ll these matters equivalent to the projector and the AV system while considering a dedicated room package...

I can go for a complete Focal system if I take HD20 instead of HD82. What is your opinion? In the quote given by ProFX, the video equipment costs the same as audio (around 3 lakhs for each). He included Optoma HD82 which is almost double the price of HD20. I've auditioned both of them. HD82 was definitely better but it doesn't justify such a huge difference. Maybe I should view both of them again. Tell me your preferences.

Taking a complete focal system is much better, specially when you are matchin it with Polk...
Secondly HD20 is a discontinued model, new model is HD22...

Let us know, your complete budget including seating, automation, audio, video, etc... so that we can then bifurcate the same accordingly...

What about the cables, sitting, acoustics, source, screen, etc...
@ll these matters equivalent to the projector and the AV system while considering a dedicated room package...

Cables and all other accessories were included in the quote.

Let us know, your complete budget including seating, automation, audio, video, etc... so that we can then bifurcate the same accordingly...

6 lakhs for AV equipment.
1 -1.5 lakh for automation
Seating & furnishing - max. 10 lakhs

Out of the AV equipment, I wanted to allocate 1.5 lakh for video and the rest for Audio. Is this a good decision or do people generally spend the same amount on audio & video?

I would not look at automation unless you have a large budget and are at the civil construction stage. I have generally seen automation do the following:

1. There is substantial amount of breaking and wiring to be done, man times leading to the need for a fresh wall painting.

2. As you start to install, you are tempted to start including more and more items in the control system.

3. I have see automation budget shoot 400 to 500% in a period of just few weeks.

In addition to a server and wiring costs, you should look at between 1-2 lakhs per room as the minimum automation costs.

Cheers

Last edited:
Why not consider a preamp processor and multi channel as separates, given your budget? Why only AVR?

Yeah, with separates, maybe you could then look at a premium active loudspeaker brands like the Genelec. You should visit the Genelec demo room in Bombay and take some interesting ideas from there. It really is supreme quality audio
PANDAM Professional Audio

Isn't the person who runs the show there(Pandam) a member of this forum?

My suggestion about separates was also based on the fact that by moving up the value chain you could probably make do with a single system for both audio and HT unlike many of us.

I would look at automation unless you have a large budget and are at the civil construction stage.

Yes, it is at the civil construction stage. But the work is progressing very fast. False ceiling would start in a couple of weeks.

Why not consider a preamp processor and multi channel as separates, given your budget? Why only AVR?

I haven't considered yet because the concept is new to me. Do you think it will make a huge difference in sound quality? And what would I lose with not having an AVR?

Yeah, with separates, maybe you could then look at a premium active loudspeaker brands like the Genelec. You should visit the Genelec demo room in Bombay and take some interesting ideas from there. It really is supreme quality audio
PANDAM Professional Audio

That's the problem I'm facing. There is not enough time for that. And I'd prefer a local (Hyderabad) dealer/consultant because the after sales service would be better and convenient.

Isn't the person who runs the show there(Pandam) a member of this forum?

Yes. I am a member of this forum :)
http://www.hifivision.com/introductions/9907-new-member-pandamaudio-genelec-india-distributor.html

Wassup, as you can see in the above link, we are a very reputed company that has been in the loudspeaker business for many many years. We assure all our customers throughout India the best services thats directly backed up by Genelec OY Finland themselves. If you ever purchase a Genelec, you will have a delightful ownership experience all the way. So no need to worry at all!

I too think separates is the optimum way to go for better audio quality, future upgrades and the ability to choose bits of equipment from various companies that excel in what high performance separates they best manufacture

Last edited:
I would not look at automation unless you have a large budget and are at the civil construction stage. I have generally seen automation do the following:

1. There is substantial amount of breaking and wiring to be done, man times leading to the need for a fresh wall painting.
Venky, here we are at initial stage so i think breaking will not be a issue...
And moreover False Ceiling is there, so cabling and conducting, will be very easy...
2. As you start to install, you are tempted to start including more and more items in the control system.
Yups thats always there, but out here we are just considering one room not the complete house, secondly if the provision is not there for expansion, he will not be tempted... :p ... Though we suggest wiring for future expansion, but if customer, is tempting (Good for us :p), we will be limited...:eek:hyeah:
3. I have see automation budget shoot 400 to 500% in a period of just few weeks.
No, we are providing the budget that includes everything, that is controlling equipments, lighting, ACs, Curtain, Screens, etc...so their is nothing more to add...
In addition to a server and wiring costs, you should look at between 1-2 lakhs per room as the minimum automation costs.
Cheers
Again out here our quote includes cables, products, integration charges, etc...

So, dont worry we will not exceed his initial budget...

Secondly, why i am suggestin automation is as, when you are doing up a complete HT room, with all high end equipments, automation, is something, that makes the place +10...

Rest it depends on client to client based on their requirements...

Prashant of Pandam put it well.

In general, even for 2 channel audio, separates, though costlier perform better( if selected properly) than integrated, one box solutions. The same applies for HT.

>I haven't considered yet because the concept is new to me. Do you think it will make a >huge difference in sound quality? And what would I lose with not having an AVR?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back