78 RPM Turntables

venkatcr

yes, I saw that Venkat, but is there a way? Some accessory or something?

Theoretically since the speed change in the MM2 is achieved by looping the belt around a rim under the platter, it is possible to make a new rim that can spin the platter at 78RPM. But I don't think Music Hall is providing that. The width of a rim for 78RPM may not even fit.

The assumption made is that 95% of you albums will me 33-1/3.

Cheers

Re: Absolute Phase brings Music Hall Turntables to India as sole distributors.

Spinning the turntable at 78RPM is not enough: a different stylus, and possibly a different cartridge, would be required.

My vintage HMV TT has 4 speeds .. 16 / 33.5 / 45 / 78 ... uses a ceramic mono EEI cartridge.

Have 30 odd shellac 78 rpm LPs (again vintage stuff .. Bengali) which I play once a blue moon types. The 78 speed is known to damage the cartridges due to the hard-brittle nature of shellac. So, I stick to 33 1/2 and 45 LPs.

I think this thread has strayed far from the product announcement of the opening post. Maybe the mods might like to move these 78rpm posts to a new thread with an appropriate title? That would also help people who need this information to find it.

The 78RPM shellac disk was a very different thing from the LPs and EPs that followed it. By comparison, its grooves were simply enormous. The "needle" with which it was played really was a needle*. In fact, it was chunky compared to needles from the sewing basket. Needles came in various grades, from soft to hard, which gave different sounds. They also had differing longevity: I think that there were once needles that were meant to be used once only! A far cry from today's diamonds!

I don't think I ever experienced one-use-only needles, but we did have to replace them fairly regularly. Sometimes we were lazy about this, which was bad for the sound and worse for the disk itself. Many a disk came to the end of its life by cracking or breaking, but even without that, it was quite possible to wear out a 78RPM disc. I recall that I wore out Harry Belafonte's Island In The Sun!

The actual needle survived the wind-up acoustic gramophone, long into the days of electrically-powered and amplified machines. As my parents were not particularly interested in music, I was stuck with their ancient record collection (and the handful of review copies that my father, in the newspaper trade, got hold of) and really missed out on the beginnings of the micro-groove revolution. Our Radiogram broke down, and it was some years before I had a record player again. I don't actually remember if it played 78s, I have a feeling that it did not.

Anyway, during the shellac/vinyl transition period the needle became a thing of the past, and people began to play record with chunks of gemstone (not always diamond: IIRC, they were the expensive ones).

I seem to recall that the cartridge might have been called a ceramic cartridge**. It was still on the end of a tonearm that was pretty chunky, and I don't think anyone bothered with tracking weights and such. It had a double stylus, with a lever on the arm that stuck out to either right or left. One way, a very small stylus for playing vinyl pointed downwards; the other way, a much larger and thicker stylus for playing 78s.

I know that we have members who still play 78s: I'm sure they know more than I vaguely remember from 50 years ago. Also, perhaps someone else can add more about the ceramic cartridge and how it evolved into the moving magnet and moving coil cartridges of today...

*kid's trick of those days: hold a pin between your teeth and apply to rotating disk, hearing the music in your head. I don't suppose that did much for the longevity of the records

**missed this is previous post :eek:
...uses a ceramic mono EEI cartridge.

Last edited:

Guys,
We at Absolute Phase are happy to announce that we have been appointed as the sole India distributors for Music Hall Turntables..

Want to know if you will be the distributors for other Music Hall products like amps or DAC etc.

My earliest memories are of playing 78s on the family Philco console (idler wheel most likely). Tony Brent, Patti Page, Pat Boone, Dean Martin were part of the family collection. We also used it later for 33s and 45s. the early Beatles singles and many more from the mid 60s. It had a flipback stylus, one side for 78s and the other for 33s and 45s. These use to be ceramic cartridges, with a sapphire stylus that had tracking forces (we didn't know about all that then) of about 10 gm. They'd chip easily. Great fun, it was. Cassettes came later.

Good point by G401fan, about the flip sapphire stylus. Never attempt to play 78s with the stylus which you use for LPs or 45s. If you do, it would probably result in your stylus either wearing out very fast or physical damage to the stylus, cantilever and cartridge itself. 78s (especially the early ones) were designed to play on gramaphones with steel needles, tracking at very heavy weights. One would need to use a stylus and cartridge combo, specifically designed for 78s. Remember LPs and 45s have microgrooves and hence the same stylus can be used. Same applies to 16rpm records as well. However having 78rpm as a speed option does not mean that one can use the same stylus for playing 78s. The only option is to change the headshell and relign the arm beform playing 78s or better still, have a second tonearm fitted and calibrated only for 78s. This is if you dont use ceramic cartridges with the flip over sapphire stylus. Hope this helps.

We used to have about 100 78rpm records at home when I was a kid. Great fun in playing them, however they were extremely brittle and would crack/chip easily. Dad gave the whole lot away, long time ago and restricted his collection to LPs/45s.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back