A cheap multiregion Blu-ray player...

Thanks for the update. So it seems that the issue indeed has more to do with the way the files are ripped/converted.

Just to update you that none of the .ogg files that I have borrowed from you show any video. Only the audio track plays so yes I believe you have to play around with the video settings.

Keep us posted on the end result so we can confirm that Toshiba has no issues with playing any kind of MKV's.

Hi,
I am not able to run original English movie DVD got from flipkart on my Philips DVD due wrong region.
Kindly suggest good blue ray player which should be region free.
Thanks,

Many blu-ray players can play multiregion dvds with remote control hack. But my suggestion would be the above Toshiba model or Panasonic which can be made region free easily. Onida bdp is another VFM region free player for both blu-ray and dvds.

Received this via PM:

soamz said:
Hey mate, your name?

Okay here is a question. I have a Samsung BDP 5100. I'm going to import few 3D BluRay discs with the help of a friend. Not sure if my player will play it or not.

Do we need a special 3D capable BluRay player?
Which one would you suggest?
Model and price?

Region free and 3D main requirements.

To play 3D BDs, you definitely need a 3D BDP - as simple as that. If your BDP is not 3D, it won't play them. BUT .... hang on. The few 3D BDs that I have seen (just 3 to be precise) were dual play, i.e., they had the menu option: 3D and 2D. I have two BDPs - my old Sony is non-3D while the new Panasonic is 3D enabled. The Sony BDP played the 3D/dual play disc when the 2D option was selected but when I deliberately selected 3D, it said "Invalid file format" or some message like that.

If you want to get a 3D BD player, I will recommend any Panasonic 3D BDP as they can be easily made region free by firmware update. Any specific model? Well, you can think of what I have (DMP-BDT220) or its elder sibling (DMP-BDT320).

You can also think about Toshiba BDX-3200KB as an alternative but this model is available in UK only. Some people have said the German/European model, BDX-3200KE, cannot be made region free.

Here is what I said on another thread:

BD players are not region free. There are only a handful of players that can be made region free by end user. Indian dealers do not understand region free. They say anything. They are not cheating - they are plain misinformed. Your dealer cannot give you a "replacement" so to speak because the replacement may also be region locked. Best is to test it beforehand.

Unlike DVDP, the BDP is much more complex and the process of making it region free are more involved. There are two methods for making the BDP region free:

Option 1 - Hardware chip mod: Involves buying a hardware circuit/chip that has to be soldered to ride piggy-back on the main PCB. The mod is available from various sources and costs around 75~120 plus shipping (sometimes) and customs duty. Requires mid-level soldering skills. Best to be done by DIY experts or a technicial.
Advantages: Permanent. Protected from firmware updates. Region change can be done by original (factory) remote of the BDP.
Disadvantages: Cost. Requires soldering skills. Available for very few manufacturers/players.

Option 2 - Firmware update: Involves downloading a modified firmware. For Panasonic BDPs, firmware can be gotten via donation of 30 plus Paypal charges. Firmware update is easy - download, burn to CD-R, pop the CD-R in BDP and "Bob's your uncle". Toshiba BDX-3200KB is another model for which (free) firmware exists. Region change is via official (factory) BDP remote.
Advantages: Free for Toshiba and low cost for Panasonic. No expertise required other than downloading and buring a CD-R.
Disadvantages: Temporary - if firmware is updated (via official means), you will loose region free capability. Available for Panasonic BDPs (all) and Toshiba BDX-3200KB only (and maybe a few more sporadic models).

There is a third option. One can buy region free modded players from certain websites such as worldelectronics.com, 220-electronics.com, etc.

Last edited:
Sorry, I am lost in this thread. I am looking to buy a VFM Blue ray player in the range of 10K that can be made region free. I will be most probably hooking this up to my Panny50UT50 which i am about to buy. I can increase my budget a bit if really needed.

I am not sure if i need a 3D Blue Ray player. Please suggest.

Sorry, I am lost in this thread. I am looking to buy a VFM Blue ray player in the range of 10K that can be made region free. I will be most probably hooking this up to my Panny50UT50 which i am about to buy. I can increase my budget a bit if really needed.

I am not sure if i need a 3D Blue Ray player. Please suggest.

People often get lost in a thread because of the default setting of 10 posts per page. I have changed this to 30 and I found that this is much better for me at least. There is more information on a single page (though scrolling is required) and the number of pages comes down dramatically. This setting is available in user CP

As far as your query is concerned, buy Panasonic BDP (from anywhere) or Toshiba BdX-3200KB (UK model only). Refer to my Panasonic DMP-BDT220 thread.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Off topic:
People often get lost in a thread because of the default setting of 10 posts per page. I have changed this to 30 and I found that this is much better for me at least.

I too find it easier to search within a thread using browser search than the "Search this thread" feature.

Long back I discovered a firefox plugin called autopager which automatically loads next page below the current page when user reaches end of page. I use it for almost all forums and also has a feature to load next x pages..

Off topic:

I too find it easier to search within a thread using browser search than the "Search this thread" feature.

I type in Google & then write hifivision in last.Earlier Seach Engine within forum was good & accurate.Not current one.

^ The best way of doing this is to type in the following into the Google search box:

site:hifivision.com keywords

I prefer to search this way too. (Make sure there is no space between "site:" and "hifivision.com").

Hi Everyone,

I was looking at option of getting Toshiba BDX 3200 and have my brothers friend carry it for me from the UK in next couple of months.

However when i checked the price on Amazon.co.uk it seems to have gone up quite a lot. Its available now for around 149 GBP !!!!

Do you guys think there is any site from where it can be had for less? i think some of the FMs have got it at half the current price... or if thats not possible then can any one suggest a good alternative that may be available at better price?

Regards,
Naren

Do you guys think there is any site from where it can be had for less? i think some of the FMs have got it at half the current price... or if thats not possible then can any one suggest a good alternative that may be available at better price?

The BDX3200 has been replaced with the BDX3300. A region free hack is not available for the BDX3300 as yet, which is why I doubt you'll find the BDX3200 going cheaply anywhere. Also IIRC, some of the BDX3200 variants cannot be made regionfree using the firmware method, so check on the web before buying.

A region free BD, DVD alternative is the Panasonic DMP-BDT220. Check this thread:
http://www.hifivision.com/blu-ray-d...orders/30344-panasonic-dmp-bdt220-review.html

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back