A cheap multiregion Blu-ray player...

krishnenduk

Hii,

I had an Oppo BDP-83 last year which was region modded.. Realising that such a good player doesnt find much application @ my home decided to sell it and I sold it through our forum.. From then I was searching desperately for a low cost multiregion player as I had region A, B and C disks..

The PQ and SQ were not much concern as I know i am going to buy a cheap player, my only concern was it to be region free.. Luckily I went through a topic in avforums.com. From that forum, I got the idea that Toshiba BDPs can be made region free by applying a region free firmware which is available freely..

So i decided to purchase Toshiba BDX3100 and went on the SYW route.. But as usual SYW was unable to ship the item within the stipulated time frame.. So i cancelled that order.. After that I used SNS to procure Toshiba BDX3200 from amazon.uk. The item reached me within 2weeks of order.. Its a cute little player with a blue LED illuminated blu-ray logo on the front.. Looks cool...

Connected it yesterday to my Panasonic Plasma.. Patched it with the region free firmware.. Played region A Avatar BD.. PQ exceeded my expectation, from my view its almost similar to oppo BDP-83 for blu-ray.. I havent checked its DVD upscaling capability though.. But SQ doesnt even come near to Oppo.. But thats expected, as we cannot compare both.. Checked different region disks and all worked like a charm..

Anyway I am totally satisfied with my purchase.. :) Total damage to the wallet was Rs. 8100/-.. Anyone looking for a cheaper BDP can buy this one with confidence..

Check this link for further info..

Blu-ray and DVD Player Multiregion Hacks | AVForums.com - UK Online

According to the link many Toshiba BDP models can be made region free by using the firmware...

In the thread title interpretation of cheap = inexpensive

Thanks and regards...

Last edited:
thats excellent, I will probably follow the same path, I saw the links, the patch firmware is shared in rapidshare, do I have to create a log-in over there? whats the size of the ISO and .bin file? is it still available in the link?

Arnab

thats excellent, I will probably follow the same path, I saw the links, the patch firmware is shared in rapidshare, do I have to create a log-in over there? whats the size of the ISO and .bin file? is it still available in the link?

Arnab

No need to register bro... U can download as a free user... yep.. the link is still available...

Last edited:
are you using analog outs from the bdp? Curious how sound quality can be bad if you are using digital out from bdp

are you using analog outs from the bdp? Curious how sound quality can be bad if you are using digital out from bdp

I have checked the following for music

CA 650C analog out to HK 3490 rca in
LG BD 550 optical out to HK 3490 optical in (don't think TOSHIBA 1200/3200 is much better than LG 550 in terms of SQ for music)

the second one is way inferior in dynamics and sound stage, I guess these cheap BDPs can only work as digital transport if an excellent external DAC is used with them

need to hear from the OP as to how he is comparing the two bdps when it comes to SQ.

No side by side comparison was made as I already sold the Oppo... But to my ears I felt some lifelessness in the Toshiba sound comparing to Oppo... I am using bitsreaming out through HDMI from Toshiba.. :)

hi krishnenduk

i was gifted a 3200 3 weeks ago and was planning to post the region free firmware link myself. glad to see that you've saved me the trouble :)

when you get the time, do let me know what display settings you've configured for the tosh, specifically the 'colour space' setting. also, have you fiddled with the 'video process' settings, too?

fyi: the 3200 > via hdmi to onkyo 608 > via hdmi to panny ae4k

thanks in advance!

I have onida blu-ray region free and I find it quite good if only digital outs are used. Also depends a lot on your AVR and display as it doesn't seem to have any scalar.

hi krishnenduk

i was gifted a 3200 3 weeks ago and was planning to post the region free firmware link myself. glad to see that you've saved me the trouble :)

when you get the time, do let me know what display settings you've configured for the tosh, specifically the 'colour space' setting. also, have you fiddled with the 'video process' settings, too?

fyi: the 3200 > via hdmi to onkyo 608 > via hdmi to panny ae4k

thanks in advance!

Is philips 3200 BDP can be hacked to read all region BDs? If so please post the steps.

Hii,

I had an Oppo BDP-83 last year which was region modded.. Realising that such a good player doesnt find much application @ my home decided to sell it and I sold it through our forum.. From then I was searching desperately for a low cost multiregion player as I had region A, B and C disks..

The PQ and SQ were not much concern as I know i am going to buy a cheap player, my only concern was it to be region free.. Luckily I went through a topic in avforums.com. From that forum, I got the idea that Toshiba BDPs can be made region free by applying a region free firmware which is available freely..

So i decided to purchase Toshiba BDX3100 and went on the SYW route.. But as usual SYW was unable to ship the item within the stipulated time frame.. So i cancelled that order.. After that I used SNS to procure Toshiba BDX3200 from amazon.uk. The item reached me within 2weeks of order.. Its a cute little player with a blue LED illuminated blu-ray logo on the front.. Looks cool...

Connected it yesterday to my Panasonic Plasma.. Patched it with the region free firmware.. Played region A Avatar BD.. PQ exceeded my expectation, from my view its almost similar to oppo BDP-83 for blu-ray.. I havent checked its DVD upscaling capability though.. But SQ doesnt even come near to Oppo.. But thats expected, as we cannot compare both.. Checked different region disks and all worked like a charm..

Anyway I am totally satisfied with my purchase.. :) Total damage to the wallet was Rs. 8100/-.. Anyone looking for a cheaper BDP can buy this one with confidence..

Check this link for further info..

Blu-ray and DVD Player Multiregion Hacks | AVForums.com - UK Online

According to the link many Toshiba BDP models can be made region free by using the firmware...

In the thread title interpretation of cheap = inexpensive

Thanks and regards...

I took the plunge today and booked the player from amazon.de. My friend is coming from Frankfurt hence booked it to his hotel address and he is bringing it to me. I got it for euro 105 with free shipping. I also downloaded the multi region firmware from online and eagerly waiting to lay my hands over the player :yahoo:
Many thanks to krishnenduk for highlighting this player.

Thanks

Hi Krishnenduk

Did you check whether this player bitstreams hd audio thru hdmi. I went thru the details in the amazon.de site and it is mentioned that it bitstreams dolby tru-hd but gives out only dts hd (core) which I am not sure its the true version of dts hd ma. I think this player lacks dts hd ma output.

Thanks

Hi Krishnenduk

Did you check whether this player bitstreams hd audio thru hdmi. I went thru the details in the amazon.de site and it is mentioned that it bitstreams dolby tru-hd but gives out only dts hd (core) which I am not sure its the true version of dts hd ma. I think this player lacks dts hd ma output.

Thanks

Bro...

I played the inception BD and checked the display of my Onkyo AVR. Its showing as DTS - HDMSTR.. I hope it bitstreams all HD audios..

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back