A new Linear TL Floor Standers for my next upgrade to 845 tubes

Hari Iyer

The concpet began some 3 months ago and finally it has been put into shape. This took over one month to build and tweak and I have finished with them (i suppose). This speaker is similar to what i had build for Avidyarthy our forum member some two year ago. The line tuning frequency is still the same and shares the same woofer and tweeter and this is where the similarity ends.

The new TL is using a waveugide for the upper mid and the high-frequency for diffracting them behind the box. Also the cross-over is tuned much lower at 1600Hz to take the benefit of the low resonance of the alunimium dome tweeter. Also a concept of Harmonic balance has been added to the cross-over to preserve the energy response of the tweeter at higher frequencies.

Avid's box used felt material to prevent the enhancement of the high frequencies when stepped across the baffle, this new TL box uses a wave-guide instead.

Also i have used a gold plated binding post for that extra touch of class and a rich veneer for giving that upmarket look and feel to this new project. This speaker will be paired with the Dared 845 tubes later which would arrive some time at March end after i place order with Analogue Audio Labs.

FM are welcomed after the tube arrive as i too have not completed my listening sessions with these due to some other priorities currently. Would have heard them for max 1 hr till now and hence could not post any personal listening impression as it would be unfair on them. As i have put lot of my own build and listening experience over the years and my design skills on them, am sure they will out-perfom most commercially available speakers at three times the cost. But yet keeping my fingers crossed and will leave that for others to decide.

Some images of the first order cross-over and the boxes [posted for initial comments by FM are welcomed.

nyem9j.jpg

2v0zm21.jpg

2qkqtsj.jpg

e0h3ye.jpg

71hhtx.jpg

2rynho0.jpg

Beautiful speakers Hari! I am rethinking my decision of buying the bookshelves ;-)

Amphion would be mighty displeased!:p The speakers are looking great, though the aesthetic goodness can only be judged by sitting across them.

Amphion would be mighty displeased!:p The speakers are looking great, though the aesthetic goodness can only be judged by sitting across them.

Probably yes if it also outperforms in the SQ area too. Only a blind test would be able to justify that.

Found a similar finish Amphion BS speaker
2mo4b5c.gif

Last edited:

:p:lol::D

Probably yes if it also outperforms in the SQ area too. Only a blind test would be able to justify that.

Found a similar finish Amphion BS speaker

Hi Hari,

Good show :thumbsup:
Can't wait to hear the duplicate TL flavored amphions :p

Jokes apart, I hope they are worthy of being your own flagship speakers :)
Get the amp & call us FM's over for a listening session.

Looks Great!
Is there any chances to audition them in Banglaore ? Anytime?

Say , something on the line that this speaker takes a south india tour.

Mr. Iyer,
Will you sell them? If Yes, please pm me with shipping cost to Kolkata.

Thanks for the gesture, i made this model as i did not have any speaker with me for a permanent listen. Always worked with prototypes and bookshelfs and not connected permanently. I think you should wait for the feedback of this speaker with forum members and only after that decide about purchasing. Looks at times can be deceptive and can sometimes make the decision over SQ which should be avoided. If you have the time and happen to be in this part of the country then you can come down for a listen an then decide on the buy. As these are 100% custom build, they usually take more time to be build and delivered unlike branded ones.

:p:lol::D

Hi Hari,

Good show :thumbsup:
Can't wait to hear the duplicate TL flavored amphions :p

Jokes apart, I hope they are worthy of being your own flagship speakers :)
Get the amp & call us FM's over for a listening session.

Sure Dave, the 845 would take the end of March to arrive probably and would depend when i place the order with Byju. If you wish you can have a listen with the Denon AVR-1604, Koushik Pal also wanted to come over may be he can get his Indeed amp too for an listening impresion.

Looks Great!
Is there any chances to audition them in Banglaore ? Anytime?

Say , something on the line that this speaker takes a south india tour.

Not having any plans of launching this speaker for any tour as the speakers could be ruined in the process of rough handling. I had couple of inquries some time ago for FS from Bangalore earlier but did not follow-up later due to want of time. May be you can group over a team and let me know if anyone interested for a listen and i can consider.

How does Cadbury Eclairs affect the sound? :lol:

Good work Hari. Finally you decided that you need a pair for yourself.

Had these Eclaris (Polyester capacitor) lying at my drawer's and put them to use. Once the design is tweaked and freezed will change all components including the Eclaris with everything new.

Good show Hari! All the best for these new speakers!
Might be useful if you could post some specs on here also.

Good show Hari! All the best for these new speakers!
Might be useful if you could post some specs on here also.

Thanks Nikhi, here are some specs and features of the design,

Specification - Model - Agni
Power Bandwidth (-3dB) :38 Hz till 20KHz
freq response (-6dB) :32 Hz till 25 KHz
Nominal Impedance :4 ohms
Minimum Impedance :3.1 ohms
Continous Power :130 Watts
Max Power @ 4 Ohms :250 Watts
Enclosure Type :Advanced Transmission Line
Cross-over type :1st order Butterworth
Cross-over frequency :1600 Hz
Cone Break-In Time :Approximately 200 Hrs with moderate sound pressure
Woofer :5.25" Kevlar Cone
Tweeter :1" Low Resonating Frequency Aluminium Dome
SPL /w/m :89 dB
Max Recommended Speaker Wire Impedance :0.5 Ohms
Dimensions (HxWxD) Inches :47"x7.5"x8"

Features -Model - Agni
Enclosure
- Time Aligned enclosure
- Diffraction and edge corrected baffle
- Coherent sound stage
- Wave guides for lows & mids
- Guided wave Transmission Line enclsoure ensure no boomy bass stimulating atmosphere of live performance and extended dynamics
- Harmonics balanced to ensure real life performance of music and vocals
Cross-over
- Zero phase-shift 1st order Butterworth filter ensures excellent transient response without ringing/ ripple effect and faster settling times for the filter
- Excellent Transient & Phase response
- Lower crossover frequency of 1600 Hz for tweeter gives smooth mellow response for the tweeter and smoother dispersion & clarity for the mids. This also ensure no cone breakup for mid-woofer.
- Excellent on & off- axis response
- Drivers Zobel, Resonance, Diffraction & Impedance corrected
- Low resonating freq. Aluminium dome tweeter for smooth and mellow highs
- Wide range drivers ensure optimum performance in the enitre frequency band-width of the speaker system

If you wish to know anything additional do let me know.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back