A Newbie calling for the experts!!!

KURT

Hi All,

I must confess that i was never aware of the term "audiophile" and was zapped to see soo much information about it. U ROCK GUYS...

By now u must have realized that i a novice in this technology, however, i got this urge to buy a Home Theatre (90% music).

I got a budget of around 40K :eek: and i am hoping that you guys would help me. I have an LCD and the DVD player, so need the receiver and the speakers.

Will wait for responses. Have a rocking weekend.

i stay at hyd.

Welcome and I hope you will keep rocking more after you setup your system.

i got this urge to buy a Home Theatre (90% music).
Are you looking at a 2.0/2.1 system to enjoy more of music or are you looking at HT with 5.1 /7.1 speakers to enjoy more of movies?

Within your budget, you will be able to get a decent 2.0 setup which could complement your 5.1 setup at a later time. Otherwise, you will get a HTIB which will be 5.1/7.1 + AVR in a box.

Thanks for your response. I was looking for a HT but is it possible that i go for a 2.1 and later i can upgrade it to a 5.1? Does it mean that i can add speakers to the 2.1 setup

What exactly is HTIB which u suggested?

Going by your requirements (90% music), even I would suggest a two channel setup. You can buy a DVD player with DD/DTS decoder, a stereo integrated amp and two speakers. This would provide a reasonably satisfying system for movies too.

Normally floor standing speakers are more satisfying for movies, but for your budget I would suggest that you start with a pair of book shelf speakers and add a sub-woofer later on.

What is the room size?

Thanks,
Sharad

Thanks Sharad...i have just moved in to a new apt, so not sure abt the exact size...can you please give me some idea abt the amp and the speakers.. which brand and model nos if u have any

Oops....my mistake...didnt mean that....wanted some suggestion on the type/make/models of HTIB and also 2.0...

I am going thru the threads...but there r so many....scared that i wld finish the money by the time i finish the threads..:)

I am going thru the threads...but there r so many....scared that i wld finish the money by the time i finish the threads..:)

:lol: It happens the other way round when you are on HFV, the budget keeps on expanding in proportion to the time you spend reading/posting here. All the best!

Hi,

There are a lot of options in your price range.
You can consider:

Speakers
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 available for about Rs13000 per pair. 10.1 are cost just a bit more.
  • Tannoy Mercury F1 available for about Rs15000 per pair
  • Monitor Audio BR2 cost a bit more, but sound nice
  • Polk RTi A1 - Rs.16,000/pair. These ones sound quite different (not really my taste), but surely an option.

I would suggest that you buy the speakers, and then go to the dealers for the following amps, and buy the best amp you can for the remaining money.
  • NAD
  • Cambridge Audio
  • Marantz

HTIB provides good value for money while watching movies, unfortunately they sound terrible for music. Anyway listen to them by your self and decide.

Make sure you audition all the above speakers, amps and HTIBs with your own favorite CDs and spend at least one hour with each equipment. The initial impressions are quite deceptive due to the way our brain processes sound signals.

All the best. Have a nice and musical weekend!

Thanks,
Sharad

hi kurt
if its 90% music that you'll be using it for then i strongly suggest a simple 2 channel stereo setup. you'll have much better sound quality within the budget. for speakers i've heard very good reviews of the ushers. beats most in its range. others you could look at are wharfedale diamonds. if you have a dvd player use it as your source. as for an amp - nad / cambridge / marantz stereo would do nicely

If you listen to music 90% of the time, then its a no-brainer as they say in favour of a stereo system. Movies can be watched and enjoyed too in stereo format.

I agree with Sharad. Go for a 2.0 system with a good integrated amplifier (with a pre-out which allows you to add a subwoofer later on).

If you are serious about 90% music, then it shd strictly be a 2.0 or a 2.1 setup. And for your budget consider only a 2.0 setup.

And you dont need a preout on the amps to connect to the sub (later on), so dont take that additional constraint now when u r hunting for your amp.

If you are serious about 90% music, then it shd strictly be a 2.0 or a 2.1 setup. And for your budget consider only a 2.0 setup.

And you dont need a preout on the amps to connect to the sub (later on), so dont take that additional constraint now when u r hunting for your amp.

Kurt, Go for a Stereo amp by all means! I compromised and went for an AVR and music just isnt good enough on it. My requirements were like yours too.

Hey Guys, please suggest Yamaha RX-V365 or RX-V463.....Do u think i shld try for Denon, if Yes, can i have some model nos.

Hey Guys, please suggest Yamaha RX-V365 or RX-V463.....Do u think i shld try for Denon, if Yes, can i have some model nos.

Yamaha AVRs will be a good compromise for music and movies (based on what I read in HFV) if you don't want to go the separates route. Go for the 465, it has HD audio processing which will be useful down the line if you start playing BDs.

Yamaha AVRs will be a good compromise for music and movies (based on what I read in HFV) if you don't want to go the separates route. Go for the 465, it has HD audio processing which will be useful down the line if you start playing BDs.

If he says 90% music, why shd there be a compromise? Stereo amp is the only option.

I think it is the same old story.
A freshcomer asks for suggestion but has not yet decided on wether he needs a 2ch stereo setup or a multi=ch HomeTheater setup.
Kurt, pls fix this so members can give active suggestions.

Stereo setup = Int amplifier + 2 speakers

HT = AV reciever + 5-7 speakers

Hey Guys,
I visited couple of shops including "Sound and Vision" but none mentioned abt any diff between the AV receiver and the Int amplifier. So i assumed that the speaker needs to be added to the AV receiver. Hence the question abt the Yam-365/465.
But if i go with a Int amplifier, would there be no chance of an upgrade later. Guys can you please suggest some brands/models for Int amplifier.
Thanks for all your help. Have a good day

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back