a Novice's attempt to make Bass Unit :-)

soviet_selva

It all started with the desire for a Great Clean Full Range (mainly great Bass) sound producing floorstander, but as I came across various speaker models I realized that whatever is good or great costs more than Rs 26,000/- a pair and post marriage for me spending Rs 15 or 20 grand on speaker was not on the card. So I thought lets assemble a speaker to handle low frequency alone as I need Good audible omnipresent bass. So this is what I underwent :

OBSERVATION:

23-03-2011

After searching for a good sub-woofer drive for my DIY passive sub woofer project I realise that its quiet
tough to get a good sub woofer speaker.

Peerless has no retail in India, only some kind of excess stock is being sold by one Mr Jitu Bhai,
whose contact is 9821161535 (Mumbai). He only has SM20NL : 8" 8 ohm sub, which costs
Rs 1,350 per piece. Specification & distance of dealer wise it is not worth taking risk by buying
from Mumbai.

E-mailed to Norge, to see if they can sell any Wavecor sub woofer drive but they said they have no extra
speakers left. E-mailed to Dakshin speakers but got no response from them.

So next, only Dainty , a Taiwanese speaker maker, has retail in Chennai and Decibel of India has
retail in chennai. Decibel speaker I am yet to know whether they make Sub-Woofer, coz the day
when I went to Ritchie street I got to see only Woofer.

Hence I finalise to go for Dainty 8" sub woofer as of now and to commence my DIY Passive Sub
project

Dainty 8" Sub woofer available for Rs 518 per piece approx.

e-mailed to Mr Vipul Tulsiyan of Vipul AudioTech, it was amazing - mostly I wait a day or two then
we will get reply e-mail but in this case after 15 minutes of e-mail I got a call from Mr Vipul and
he gave Address of Vipul Electronic said this shop deals in Bolton & Zipp brand of raw speakers
hope we will get a good drive for our Passive Sub project.

Also during his telecomminique Mr Vipul said my idea of connecting the Passive Sub to Onkyo receiver
will not give desired performance and he said I will have to go for Powered Sub.
I understand the point stated by Mr Vipul, but what I feel is : In my Onkyo receiver we can set the
crossover in amp @ 40 Hz which means less than 40Hz will got to Powered Sub & above 40Hz will be
handled by the front speakers. So my observation is if connected with a potent Woofer / Sub Woofer we
can attain good bass from this Passive Sub Woofer which I am going to assemble.
I feel Mr Vipuls point will hold true in the sense that we can not / will not get the floor rumbling bass thru
this assembled Passive Sub, also its not my object of building this Passive Sub to get the effect of a
powered sub woofer, a Powered Sub Woofer can be beaten by a powered Sub woofer only and this I
have experienced.
So my project goes on, God Help.

Visit to Vipul Electronics : Went to see how does Zipp speakers look & if they have Bolton Sub-Woofer
during visit got to see two sub woofer models one of 40 watt max and other of 100 watt max
the 40 watt one was looking good but as usual no T/S data was available and it costs Rs 400 per unit
the 100 watt one looks excellent to me but have no guarantee of performance, has thick foam surround
large excursion, robust magnet, orange color cone (some kind of weave) costs Rs 950 per unit
its the costliest sub-woofer per unit which I got to see in Ritchie street.
Now after discussing with Frank, his view is these speakers will not perform, so in a dilema but my inner
mind says "Go For It" lets see how it sounds. So I decided to go for It

Bought Zipp sub woofer, 80W / 8Ohm Rs 475 per unit
but I didn't expected this: getting a component for my crossover is a getting tough, spent around 30 min
walking in Ritchie street but got no lead, only got the capacitor. Getting inductor is real tough it seems
will go Ritchie street some other day to find / buy rest of the components required

Dimension Finalisation

After a few glimpse of dimensions of speaker box of established brands, I decided to go with the following
dimension:
H 31 cm
W 28cm
D 25cm
Area 21700
The volume seems high but my estimate is , if made with a 0.75" thick MDF the effective internal volume
will be 17.5 Ltr which comes to 0.618 Cubic foot

Box dimension can be quiet easily determined if T/S Parameters were available, but since this is a Chinese
or Taiwanese mass produced woofer it has no T/S data. So in my case I have fired my bullets in the dark
I pray & hope my system will sound good.

After reading about the suggested enclosure volume of few sub-woofer drives listed in Madisound.com i
feel that we should reduce the volume of our enclosure, so I revise the dimesnion as :

H 28 cm
W 28 cm
D 24 cm
Area 18816 / 18.81 ltr

QUIET CONFUSED, SO NOW GOING WITH THE DIMENSION FINALISED ON 07.04.2011

ie H = 31, W = 28 AND D = 25

Also the letter I wrote to Eltek asking for inductor got returned, no such party at the address

so mostly we will be making our own inductor, also have to search for any readymade one in
Ritchie street before finalising to make

So after 1 YEAR and 2 Months I got the box. Actually in between this 13 months period
I forgot the box for speaker, as I did not want to spend anything on this due to ever reducing
bank balance. But this time during my Tuticorin visit on 17.05.2012 I gave order for speaker
box as per dimension finalised on 11.04.2011. And got the box when parents visited Chennai.
ie on 07.06.2012. Box build is good, but finish is Very Poor, anyhow decided to go with this
without any carpenter work as it will increase cost of the Box.

Have to seal all internal corners with saw dust and fevicol, saw dust could not be located
easily, walked around 3 kms in my locality but could find only one saw mill that too was
closed due to Sunday.

Bought screw to fix speaker but by mistake bought bigger screws so have to buy newer ones

At back side of speaker box no hole was there for connecting the terminals, so thought of
drilling holes with hand drill and will cut of off the hole but could make only one hole with
hand drill and the drill bit dot bent. So had to abondon the idea.

Next big challenge is making Inductor.

Asked office people help on cutting the 4.5 CM dia hole on back side for fixing connector
seems it can be done

brought one speaker box to office and Salim sir helped to make hole using machine drill and
levelling tool. It was a perfect hole, have to bring next speaker box tomorrow.

brought the other speaker box to office and Salim sir helped to make hole using machine drill and
levelling tool. It was a perfect hole, Salim sir felt it was more precise hole than yesterdays

Went to ritchie street, mount road, to buy wire for speaker. In non branded ones thick wire
was costing Rs 75 / meter, so went to MX shop there after seeing different speaker cables
bought the one costing Rs 40 / meter , bought total 10 mtrs

Then searched for different shops to buy copper wire for making inductor but could not find.
Also searched if ready made cross over is available for Sub Woofer, could find only one
shop which retailed cross over for Sub woofer is Dainty, it costs Rs 460 per unit and cuts 250 Hz

Yet to decide on crossover, thought first we shall assemble the speaker box and then since
crossover will be external we can either buy / make it later

Bought saw dust for sealing the internals of box

Mixed the saw dust with fevicol created a paste and sealed the internals of speaker box
let it to dry

Found the speaker box mounting hole to be slightly bigger, had to increase the size of the hole
by 0.5 to 0.8 MM. Did do by same technique, used the saw dust + Fevicol paste to enlarge the
hole

after letting it to dry for 2 days I found the paste applied has shrunk hence I did not get the
desired hole size and then again applied more paste to further increase the size on 21.06.2012

So now the hole was looking better with enough diameter but this time when sat to fix the
woofer I noted that the hole has gone small :). What next ? Bought filler to scrap off the
diameter by few MM but also required the saw tool to reduce the diameter. After working
with saw and filer for 1 hour or so was able to reduce the diameter to the required level.
Fevicol + saw dust is a truly hard binding tough combo :)

Finally the day when I finished mounting the speaker on to the box, after screwing the speakers carefully I was ready to test the speakers for their sound quality. But :-( to my dismay it did not sound good. BOOOOOO :) anyhow I took it in the right spirit (though i felt sad for bad bass). Also the major weak link is the Zipp woofer, wherein on its magnet its stated as "Sub Woofer" I too bought it thinking it to be Sub Woofer but by performance I feel its just woofer. So my quest is still on, now 2 things are on list first will try making this a Ported type enclosure and after 6 or 8 month will again
search for good Sub Woofer.

THANK YOU
Regards

Good write-up.:clapping: Nothing to worry about your efforts. Most of our DIY goes in the same way and speed. We learn along the way. Some of the answers to your work is available in the forum. You need to be patient in searching as it is a bit flaky..

Congrats for reaching the final stage. The journey is more important than destination.
I hope you have learnt a lot of things along the journey.

One question, if you are using the on-board low pass filter of your AVR, why did you search for passive crossover components? My understanding is that AVR XO will be much better than the passive. If that is wrong, even I will learn something.

What were the TS parameters for your sub woofer drivers? How did you decide about sealed and not ported?

Agree with Jaudere

" Its the journey that is more important than the destination "

A very nice write up and enjoyed reaching your journey so far.

T/S parameters are very important for any build I guess this is where the Zipp woofer let you down.
On the basis of the T/S parameters you usually decide the cabinet design, implementation of the Driver as well as the tuning (ported)

Thank you Jaudere ,

Flash very rightly spotted the trouble, yes ie Zipp speakers do not come with T/S parameter details. I tried to find online, in case someone worked on this type speaker and could have T/S parameters for Zipp speakers but no luck. Also i did not try to locate any lab who could test and let me know the T/S param. (mainly this was not in my budget)) Also as i wrote Zipp speaker was my last option and i had no other choice so i went for it out of desperation to finish this small assignment of mine.

As Jaudere said about AVR's X'over i would like to add my observation: The Onkyo TX SR576's in built digital X'over only defines what low frequency limit shall be sent to Front, ie if i set the crossover at 40 Hz only sound above 40Hz is sent to front (40hz to Full spectrum). How i observed this is - even after setting the Xover at 40Hz the 8" Woofer was re-producing good amount of high frequency sounds (i mean vocals & mid ) and bass. And when we set this Xover to 120 Hz bass gets reduced but still vocal and mid is there.

I was about to wind a Inductor but for First Order external Xover but could not due my doubts about how to wind and raw material availability. Though its on card will do it in sometime future.

As my woofer is not up to mark do not want to try making inductor and all. I read about some Sub woofers of Peerless (India) wherein they are built in such a way that they have a upper limit of 200 Hz so, my idea is to try and buy this in 3 / 4 months from now.

As i mentioned in my post, the size of enclosure was just a Guess work saw the dimensions of some sealed type ready made sub woofers and read about the volume required for sealed type sub woofer for few 8" sub woofer drives and arrived at my conclusion:lol:

Regards

Hi,

Go through the following links.

Ahuja subwoofer crossover network should fit your need. If you need, I have two lying idle as I do not need subwoofer anymore.

Ahuja Sound Solutions

Iwai speakers: I recently bought their tweeters. They give TS parameters. decently priced.I was happy with products as well as communications. Do try out.

Iwai Electronics Pvt. Ltd.

Forgot to add that In start of my small DIY journey, about 5 years back, I had made an isobaric subwoofer and I had gone ahead the way you did i.e.Just guess work. Box size of my liking, drivers in my budget were the only 2 criteria. I had taken out speaker output from my old Artis 5.1 sub. Needless to say, I did not like it. Now the subwoofer box is faithfully working as a small table for my daughter to study and I have moved forward to open baffles with much more satisfying results.

Last edited:
WOW, Jaudere Sir, That was a Cool link to Ahuja. So many times i Googled in the past to find passive crossover but this link never popped up. Thank you.

Very happy to read about your DIY attempt.

As i mentioned in my post, the size of enclosure was just a Guess work saw the dimensions of some sealed type ready made sub woofers and read about the volume required for sealed type sub woofer for few 8" sub woofer drives and arrived at my conclusion:lol:

Sealed type needs lot of power. Can you try with some other powerful Amp by taking the subwoofer output from the Onkyo? Give it a try.:)

Please don't call me sir. I am a semi DIYer. I believe that tehre is no one senior?junior here. There are great DIYers here like T. Antony, Hari iyer, Sachu,Omishra, Georgeo and many more. I am sure they will sometime pop in this thread and will give valuable inputs.

Peerless has no retail in India, only some kind of excess stock is being sold by one Mr Jitu Bhai,
whose contact is 9821161535 (Mumbai). He only has SM20NL : 8" 8 ohm sub, which costs
Rs 1,350 per piece. Specification & distance of dealer wise it is not worth taking risk by buying
from Mumbai.

dude....what made u think its a risk to buy peerless India drivers from Jitu Bhai!!!? several members on this forum including me regularly buy drivers from him and he is very prompt with the service. moreover in India as far as i know, Peerless is the only manufacturer who makes quality speaker drivers. their subs and woofers and tweeters are far far better than any other brand such as zipp or dainty.

I had sent e mail to peerless india but no reply. I had called them at 6pm. Someone answered phoen, probably watchman! He asked me to call next day. By that time, I got e mail from Iwai. So I went ahead with Iwai. Has anyone tried to deal directly with company? I think what OP says by 'taking risk' is that it was his first attempt and he was anxious that the drivers may get damaged. I had similar anxiety and I always bought things directly from shop and brought them home myself.

I had sent e mail to peerless india but no reply. I had called them at 6pm. Someone answered phoen, probably watchman! He asked me to call next day. By that time, I got e mail from Iwai. So I went ahead with Iwai. Has anyone tried to deal directly with company? I think what OP says by 'taking risk' is that it was his first attempt and he was anxious that the drivers may get damaged. I had similar anxiety and I always bought things directly from shop and brought them home myself.

peerless India, directly dont sell in retail. only Jitu bhai is the retail seller. and not all models listed on their website are available. get the available drivers list from Jitu bhai and some crude specs too. the prices are competative when u try to import such quality hifi stuff from madisound or parts express. recently i purchased sg26 tweeter which is regarded as a very good tweeter. same model is used by GR research in their av123 bookshelf speakers and the same is listed on their site as 40USD! while u can get it from Jitu bhai for approx.1200!
also all the drivers i purchased until now have reached me safely :)

Thank you for your inputs Soundnvoice. What Jaudere said is right, that i was not in position to take any transit loss or in case if by mistake a non working driver is shipped to me then resultant courier expenses were not in my list either. But i very well agree with Soundnvoice that in India Peerless is the best locally available driver but though its available thru un-official channel like Mr Jitu Bhai and few more dealers in Lamington road.

Jaudere can you please give me the e-mail ID of IWAI ? i visited there website and posted a enquiry but no reply yet.

Can anyone suggest any method to improve the Bass sound of these speakers, which i made.

I thought of converting the same in to a Ported design after 2 or 3 months. (after some time because if my wife sees me sticking my face in to these speakers any more it may result in small quarrel :) )

Jaudere, thanks. I am same as you, a learner.
BTW, flash should have joined. He is missing here apart from above masters.

I thought of converting the same in to a Ported design after 2 or 3 months. (after some time because if my wife sees me sticking my face in to these speakers any more it may result in small quarrel :) )

Designing a ported sub without knowing its T/S parameter is like fitting the speaker in any random enclosure. Ported are more sensitive to proper designing. Sealed design are forgiving. Proper tuning of the port, volume of the enclosure is very important for ported sub.
Which Order of crossover did you use? Try using quality inductance and capacitance, something like this DIAMOND 2 WAY STEREO PASSIVE SUBWOOFER CROSSOVER S @NEW | eBay

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back