A multi-way speaker design around the EXAR 400 horn

Oh.. and that last video recording that I uploaded was a YouTube video of the song by Agam playing on my smartphone connected to the system via a DSP capable (for crossover and system-level EQ) Bluetooth amplifier board costing around 6-7k, which drives the whole speaker system :D

Thanks a ton for sharing the above :)

Now I fully understand where you are coming from, and why you are trying to control directivity. Even with the present Cardoid pattern, in your polar response plot, the reduction from 120 hz is very noticeable, from the otherwise wide directivity till almost 400 hz. And also your spectral decay, despite all the glass and bare walls is excellent. To be honest it is very close to my treated room :)

The horn is definitely doing its thing without having to treat reflection points which is the whole point of trying to control directivity.

I tried adding absorbers at first reflection points, and though it tamed early reflections to improve imaging, I felt it killed spatial cues that are the main tell tales of the recording environment. The reverbs and decays were gone. So the sound stage felt restricted, so eventually though everything sounded more detailed with better focus, I removed the absorbers. And have been thinking about " how to remove early reflections without effecting later reflections which contain reverb tails that need to linger on for some time". Your horn idea seems best. All the best for your endeavor and please keep updating as you make progress. Iam already invested in my next project, but will be following yours with a lot of interest :)

@Vineethkumar01 as an extension of my above thought process, Iam considering going OB next, as it is supposed to automatically have off axis cancellation, which iam expecting will reduce side wall early reflections without treatment. Do you think Iam on the right path :)

Already got all the drivers...so probably a little late to ask now 🤣

@Yelamanchili manohar : You are on the right path regarding sidewall interference reduction :)
If you can get a full-range dipole system, it has, by its nature, heavy attenuation to the sides.
You might want to be careful with the positioning of the system in the room.
Once you have the speakers, try pulling out the speakers into the room by different amounts.. Ideally we want the late reflections due to back waves to be late enough such that it contributes to the feeling of spaciousness

@Yelamanchili manohar : You are on the right path regarding sidewall interference reduction :)
If you can get a full-range dipole system, it has, by its nature, heavy attenuation to the sides.
You might want to be careful with the positioning of the system in the room.
Once you have the speakers, try pulling out the speakers into the room by different amounts.. Ideally we want the late reflections due to back waves to be late enough such that it contributes to the feeling of spaciousness
Excellent advise..thanks :)

That has been my main reason to go full range dipole. Will play around with speaker to front wall distance to get the right amount of late, front wall reflections as advised :)

Speaker response around MLP after a bit of room EQ.
1713708321460.png

I have not yet gone and done any all out room EQ through, keeping in mind that this is a temporary set up and due to lack of time.
But I have been listening to the system for short durations eatleast once in two days.
With this EQ, it sounds even better than before and my overall opinion about the sound haven't changed. It is awesome.. :D

This is mostly pointless but here is a sample recording just for fun :D

I recorded the same song just to do a side-by-side for fun so, sharing here too. I hope @Vineethkumar01, you did not mind.

Thanks Vineeth for answering my question.

I recorded the same song just to do a side-by-side for fun so, sharing here too. I hope @Vineethkumar01, you did not mind.

This is interesting. The difference in sound between this and what was posted before is large. Do you happen to have a response graph for your system, applicable when the recording was made?

Thanks Vineeth for answering my question.

This is interesting. The difference in sound between this and what was posted before is large. Do you happen to have a response graph for your system, applicable when the recording was made?
I do not know how to do it. Something that can be done with an app on phone? if yes, pls let me know and I will produce one.

I do not know how to do it. Something that can be done with an app on phone? if yes, pls let me know and I will produce one.

I am not familiar with phones regarding this. Normally people use a PC for this. It's all fine though, the important part is to enjoy the music. Have a good one and enjoy the music!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back