a Novice's attempt to make Bass Unit :-)

Designing a ported sub without knowing its T/S parameter is like fitting the speaker in any random enclosure. Ported are more sensitive to proper designing. Sealed design are forgiving. Proper tuning of the port, volume of the enclosure is very important for ported sub.
Which Order of crossover did you use? Try using quality inductance and capacitance, something like this DIAMOND 2 WAY STEREO PASSIVE SUBWOOFER CROSSOVER S @NEW | eBay

I agree with you, After reading some posts where some DIYers tried ported type bookshelf speakers and were disappointed with the port noise so then i decided to go with the plain sealed enclosure type cabinet.

After suggestion from Jaudere i e-mailed to IWAI and yes, got response from them they do sell speakers, it was a Good news for me. Thank you Jaudere for letting me know this.

There quote for 8" 4ohm sub woofer was Rs 1165 per pc (+ Excise, CST & Freight) and for 8" 8 ohm sub woofer was Rs 705 per pc (+ Excise, CST & Freight). the link to 8ohm model Iwai Electronics Pvt. Ltd.
mostly will buy this after 3 months or so :)

This is how my face went off when i learnt that my DIY bass unit does not perform up to my expectation :D
below it is my DIY bass unit (just now learnt to post photo :)

Easy, and that was lots of Effort.:thumbsup:

...and What I have learned from your efforts.
"If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way."

"Experience is a hard teacher because it gives the Test results first, the lessons afterwords"

Things will improve soviet_selva - right now you are in the right company.
it is just a matter of time and patience.

Dear Soviet_Selva,
Enjoyed your post a lot.
I do not know much about speakers, only know that making a sub is a tough job.
All the best for your future progresses.

Loved your photo too!

Ha ha ha
I think that is dramatically recreated :lol:

Yes, But it was on the same day (afternoon) when i tested the speaker. The photo was taken by my wife. When i got this photo clicked i had no idea that i will share it here :) but last night when i was seeing these photos thought of sharing it here.

Now when my this set up (Zipp based speaker for Bass + Onkyo SKS 4700 for Hi Freq) failed, i am back to my 2.1 setup ie Onkyo SKC 4700 x 2 + SL-107 and when i listen to songs i feel do i need to try again with any other Woofer, but my inner self says "Yes" ;). Though to be frank this above stated 2.1 rocks.
But my aim is to see what Bass producing ability does this Onkyo AVR (TX SR576) has.

What you want your bass sounds to do?
Shake windows or re-create a music?

I used to like huge presence of bass with mass, now post open baffle experience, I feel that earth shaking bass is good when you are visualizing a shake of earth and need a sound suuporting that visual (in short movie). For music, accurate bass is important than a thudding thump.
I also feel bigger is better should be applied for drivers replicating sounds that generally come out of big instruments.

Sealed type needs lot of power. Can you try with some other powerful Amp by taking the subwoofer output from the Onkyo? Give it a try.:)

Hello Koushik,

After the disappointing performance of my super micro budget DIY Bass Unit, i thought of giving this a try (ie your above stated suggestion).

In the first place i used Onkyo AVR's (TX SR 576) bi-amp mode to power this DIY Bass unit of mine but as stated earlier the bass performance was only 2/10.

But on Thursday 26-07-2012 i sat to open my Onkyo SL-107 powered subwoofer to give a try to what you (Koushik) suggested. It did not took much time to open this SL-107, the speaker connecting cable of the SL-107 took some time, so the SW was completely open by late night 26/07, as i did not wanted any confrontation with my wife for spending time on speaker dismantling i did not work any further on this on thursday :D . though i was eager to hear this combination.

Then on Friday 27-07-2012, i connected both (2) my 8ohm (80Watt max) Zipp sub/woofer based DIY Bass unit in parallel to the Onkyo SL-107 plate amp output wire. (was very eager to hear this) Though i was afraid of overloading the plate amp with 2 speakers. On playing the track Daddy Fat Sax and Shutterbug (by Big Boi album : Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty) i had a smile on my face, yes this Rs 475 (per unit) costing sub woofer really has decent Bass to offer. i will rate it as 6/10 for bass sound :yahoo:. Zipp also has a 8" 100 watt Subwoofer (orange cone & foam surround) it costs around Rs 950 per pc (Ritchie street, Vipul Audio, Chennai).

Also i learn't it the hard way that my Onkyo TX-SR576 (AVR) is not capable of producing good bass (without powered subwoofer) . Even Mr Mark (of Craftel / Audio Craft,Pudupet, chennai) said that it will not give the desired performance but i had hope with my AVR :sad:. Actually i went to Mark for getting made a ported bass unit but he had no time for customized product, that is when i thought of making this :). Even the Torvin electronic demo person stated the same about AVR. But now i have learnt it :eek: :eek:hyeah:

will post some operation photos by today (28.07.2012) late evening.

Thank you
Regards

Congrats for your achievement. I must say that you are a daredevil to open taht active sub and connect your DIY sub in parallel on that plate amp.

One query: You are running your DIY sub in parallel with your onkyo sub driver. In this scenario, when you play music/movies, both the drivers (onkyo and your DIY sub) must be giving sound output. So How do you evaluate your sub separate from onkyo? I mean I will be totally confused about evaluation of sound if there are 2 different drivers playing same thing exactly at same time.

hey i had similar plan of misusing myAVR, a real DIY guru told not to , AVR fails to work as needed as it cant sink heavy amount of current needed the real bass driver.

I suggest you explore the options in a clever way
factors you must realize :
*real plate amp say 200w ~2000Rs minimum (even if you do diy ):Is required
*Read about sub designs online stop roaming in local market for X and Y drivers thinking that one of them will do miracle :They will not ,even if you get ok type results cheaper drivers most likely wont last

better grab driver+ amp from the diy experts in this forum, there are well planned sub threads going on
*Less money to spend ? an alternative you can think of a CAR sub driver and use a proven car-sub-for-HT design from forums like hometheatreshack .
Car drivers of well make are available ,designed 2be pretty heavy , although may not be fully suitable for HT usage but can do very good job.
They will be more current hungry tough...

there was a time i used to roam tweaking around with local stuff and came to know they are simple waste of money. today dainty ,tomorrow Zipp if you see cost wise you are making dead investment cheap drivers deteriorate in a year or so .

Be it spider getting loose or other factors ..
save money for a quality sub driver or go ready made (be smart ,unless you want to be RnD guru of sub)
Amazon.de has some subs in <8Kmark.

Last edited:
Congrats for your achievement. I must say that you are a daredevil to open taht active sub and connect your DIY sub in parallel on that plate amp.

One query: You are running your DIY sub in parallel with your onkyo sub driver. In this scenario, when you play music/movies, both the drivers (onkyo and your DIY sub) must be giving sound output. So How do you evaluate your sub separate from onkyo? I mean I will be totally confused about evaluation of sound if there are 2 different drivers playing same thing exactly at same time.

Hello Jaudere,

Today morning i thought about you as i had a doubt regarding MTM type speaker parallel connection :) though its a future project.

No, i am not using the Onkyo's (Eastech) sub woofer drive i have removed it completely. And have connected my two DIY bass units to the output line of Onkyo SL-107's plate amp in Parallel.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back