A pair of MTM studio monitors and a new baby for New Year, as my longtime audio-mate Infinity finds a new home

Kannan

After deliberating for over a long period of time, I decided to move on to active speakers.
Again the choice was to if DIY or get one after auditioning.
There were some suggestions from our erudite members, when a member friend pointed out that his friend had gone gaga over a pair of Presonus monitors costing under 15k when compared to his 50k+ speakers.

A little google told me that Presonus was imported by the company The Inventory from my city (Chennai), but sadly they did not have anything on demo, they are also importers of Kali Audio which was another recommendation from a member.
They redirected to me to a couple of their customers which were all studios and I was not keen on listening in a treated room, but they said if and when they get any returns or any damaged box type pieces, they will inform me and provide an audition.
I realized it was a long shot and not worth pursuing, so started with checking other brands.

In the last week of December, I got a call from a Inventory salesman that one of their customers (a studio again) was selling off a pair of Presonus speakers (a different model) in a buy back deal. When i looked it up, I was pleasantly surprised to note it was a MTM design (which I guess is rare in studio monitors).
I quickly got the number, and when I spoke to the person, he said he was using it only in his house to listen to the mixes he did in the studio.
This was a even more convenient as it would replicate my listening preference for audition.
I fixed a mutually suitable time and went to his place on Dec. 29 with my song collections and listened for more than 2 hours.

The end result was a no-brainer, they sounded to my taste and the speakers were in mint condition.
I paid and packed them home.
So this PRESONUS is my New Year Gift along with ONE MORE FURRY BABY that is keeping my hands full

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-24 at 3.01.58 PM.jpeg

I am yet to setup and listen intently. After a few days of dabbling as my room was cluttered, they are temporarily back in their boxes as my life has been temporarily taken over by a new member to whom I have given my audio room till his elder sister accepts him as a sibling.

with croco.jpg

In the meantime my long long time mate, the modded Infinity Reference bookshelves have been taken by a good friend and an avid music listener and a hardcore Illayaraja fan. I hope they fulfil his music listening desire as they did for me for many years.
Infinity.jpg

Here are a couple videos of the Presonus the day i got them home.
The picture shows my nephew listening to them, placed in horizontal fashion.

kitty n presonus.jpg

Couple videos :)

This one is using Carvaan of Saragama as source

And this one has is for posterity. My new baby Nandu (aka Nand Kishore) :D.

Last edited:
After deliberating for over a long period of time, I decided to move on to active speakers.
Again the choice was to if DIY or get one after auditioning.
There were some suggestions from our erudite members, when a member friend pointed out that his friend had gone gaga over a pair of Presonus monitors costing under 15k when compared to his 50k+ speakers.

A little google told me that Presonus was imported by the company The Inventory from my city (Chennai), but sadly they did not have anything on demo, they are also importers of Kali Audio which was another recommendation from a member.
They redirected to me to a couple of their customers which were all studios and I was not keen on listening in a treated room, but they said if and when they get any returns or any damaged box type pieces, they will inform me and provide an audition.
I realized it was a long shot and not worth pursuing, so started with checking other brands.

In the last week of December, I got a call from a Inventory salesman that one of their customers (a studio again) was selling off a pair of Presonus speakers (a different model) in a buy back deal. When i looked it up, I was pleasantly surprised to note it was a MTM design (which I guess is rare in studio monitors).
I quickly got the number, and when I spoke to the person, he said he was using it only in his house to listen to the mixes he did in the studio.
This was a even more convenient as it would replicate my listening preference for audition.
I fixed a mutually suitable time and went to his place on Dec. 29 with my song collections and listened for more than 2 hours.

The end result was a no-brainer, they sounded to my taste and the speakers were in mint condition.
I paid and packed them home.
So this PRESONUS is my New Year Gift along with ONE MORE FURRY BABY that is keeping my hands full

View attachment 66530

I am yet to setup and listen intently. After a few days of dabbling as my room was cluttered, they are temporarily back in their boxes as my life has been temporarily taken over by a new member to whom I have given my audio room till his elder sister accepts him as a sibling.

View attachment 66535

In the meantime my long long time mate, the modded Infinity Reference bookshelves have been taken by a good friend and an avid music listener and a hardcore Illayaraja fan. I hope they fulfil his music listening desire as they did for me for many years.
View attachment 66537

Here are a couple videos of the Presonus the day i got them home.
The picture shows my nephew listening to them, placed in horizontal fashion.

View attachment 66536

Couple videos :)

This one is using Carvaan of Saragama as source

And this one has is for posterity. My new baby Nandu (aka Nand Kishore) :D.

Congrats on the Presonus. I'm thinking of getting a pair of active monitors. You got a cute kitten tom. Thanks for sharing!

Not sure if these are the E66 or something else - but I have heard a pair of E66 and they are beautiful sounding speakers. Congratulations.

Congratulations,
Definitely sound good! Thanks for sharing video clips.
My friend has invested in 2 pair of studio monitors worth 50k each and doesn't even listen to them. :mad:

Congratulations, Kannan Sir.

I am that lucky person who has bought Kannan sir's Infinity and they are beautifully sounding speakers. His passion and knowledge is clearly visible (sorry 'audible') in his speakers. Have heard these in Kannan's house in many occasions and its good to own this now. Thank you sir and have a great time with 'Active' journey.

Oh wow finally the thread is up. Will definitely drive down to listen to them once things are better.

MaSh

Congratulations Kannan.
I have used Eris E8 years ago and have auditioned Presonus sceptre s6 as well. They are incredible speakers. I have their subwoofer. Promusicals at casa road was the dealer back then. I came to know that Volumate is dealing with Presonus now.
Edit: your kittens are cute. :)

Congrats Kannan Sir, would like to listen to them on a mutually convenient date.

Adorable kitten, would be tempted to scratch the speaker stands appearing to be made of natural wood

Nice! Presonus are well respected in the studio space. If I remember right, you also had a pair of guru speakers, no ?

Nice! Presonus are well respected in the studio space. If I remember right, you also had a pair of guru speakers, no ?
Noji. I never owned the Guru speakers. My longtime companions have been the Infinty and Spica, had one full active setup with Dayton drivers for about 2 years mainly for movies. Others that I have owned for short periods were Elac, Harbeth, an open baffle Philips, Altec, Arphi Aquarious, KEF R series, Focal and Morel

Noji. I never owned the Guru speakers. My longtime companions have been the Infinty and Spica, had one full active setup with Dayton drivers for about 2 years mainly for movies. Others that I have owned for short periods were Elac, Harbeth, an open baffle Philips, Altec, Arphi Aquarious, KEF R series, Focal and Morel
Sorry, my bad !

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back