A question for 42" PV8 user -

Pradski
I fully understand how you would have felt,

When i bought my sammy Q9 plasma last year, none of the dealers had any plasma's in stock , everyone had lcd's.

But after reading reviews abroad for the same, i ordered it without even auditioning the same, its been over an year and even today i am happy with my purchase...

So decision making does get difficult for a new buyer and everyone won't buy a product blindly.

As all dealer's don't stock plasma's they tend to push the customer to buy lcd's and they have ample demo pieces set up on the same .

Well if you know the dealer personally he may take the lcd back and procure a plasma for you, as he will be able to sell the lcd off easily, but for plasma it will be difficult for him to push the sale as plasma has few buyers ...

Dushie,

I tried with the dealer. He was not ready. He told me it is billed and demoed.

so it is difficult. I just left it. I am getting used LCD now.

It all happened because of a silly mistake of mine.

Thanks for everything.

Dushie,

I tried with the dealer. He was not ready. He told me it is billed and demoed.

so it is difficult. I just left it. I am getting used LCD now.

It all happened because of a silly mistake of mine.

Thanks for everything.

Dear its not a silly mistake.
You've bought a very good TV. The difference would have been very marginal, and only if you compare side by side.

Vinod: I'm not sure if i'm the only who feels this way but the showroom in Chennai where I checked out the Viera's did not have them on high contrast and brightness setting. Based on my observation I guess the personnel don't know how to do it. Compare it to the Sony showrooms which have juiced up tv's!

Flared:

Which shops did u visit for PV8 demo, can you mention please. I thought Pana brand shop in T. nagar was good with their TV setups.

Went again today and saw 450 and 410 side by side, they both were indeed good. I found the 100 Hz was really working well with 450.

All:

After breaking my head today (thinking a lot), I finally ordered Panasonic 42" PV8 over phone. Getting delivered tomorrow morning and installation in the evening. My impression and thoughts expected by tomorrow midnight sure, hope so.:D

Congrats Vinod!

Any idea whats the price for the following in Chennai?
Pan - TH42PV80H
Pan - TH42PV8H
Sam - A410
Sam - A450

and where are you buying the tv?

Is it strange that both Samsung and Panasonic don't seem to have any Diwali offers!

Last edited:
needless to say i am deeply hurt at your not turning up to check out the Samsung...:) be that as it may.....hope you enjoy the PV8! have a blast with it!

All:

After breaking my head today (thinking a lot), I finally ordered Panasonic 42" PV8 over phone. Getting delivered tomorrow morning and installation in the evening. My impression and thoughts expected by tomorrow midnight sure, hope so.:D

Congrats Vinod!

Any idea whats the price for the following in Chennai?
Pan - TH42PV80H
Pan - TH42PV8H
Sam - A410
Sam - A450

and where are you buying the tv?

Is it strange that both Samsung and Panasonic don't seem to have any Diwali offers!

Thanks Flared.

Pan - TH42PV80H - 59k (plus 1% on CC)**
Pan - TH42PV8H - 53k (plus 1% on CC)**
Sam - A410 - 52k (diwali price)
Sam - A450 - 57k (diwali price)

Pan PV8 I'm getting from **Chellamani & Co., Nelson Manikam Road. Contact person Mr. Dhanapaul. Tell my name and Praveen Immanuel (forum member), and you will get this price.:)

Last edited:
Thanks!
Chellamani seems to be fav place for tv buying! Just last month one of my colleagues had bought a Samsung LCD from there.

needless to say i am deeply hurt at your not turning up to check out the Samsung...:) be that as it may.....hope you enjoy the PV8! have a blast with it!

Thanx Psychotropic. It's really sad I could not come to your place for a demo, I need to take a decision fast, am going mad about this confusion really:eek:.

So, then my quest for plasma TV ends here. I have never ever thought I will own a plasma TV this big, all I had till date was a 21" tv. I think things will never be the same again after a TV of this size, and indeed it is going to be an incredible journey of adding gadgets here and there.

he he yeah.....imagine how it was for me......i went from my 14 inch laptop screen to 42" plasma....knocked my socks off it did. Keep it about 7-8 feet away (don't listen to any of the people say it needs to be larger, this figure is arrived at using formulae set out by THX, unless of course you find it uncomfortable or otherwise incovenient), and you will have an unbeatable big-screen experience :)

he he yeah.....imagine how it was for me......i went from my 14 inch laptop screen to 42" plasma....knocked my socks off it did. Keep it about 7-8 feet away (don't listen to any of the people say it needs to be larger, this figure is arrived at using formulae set out by THX, unless of course you find it uncomfortable or otherwise incovenient), and you will have an unbeatable big-screen experience :)

14" -> 42" :eek:, how you been able to adjust with those large human figures on a 42", hmmm ??

From eyesight to TV screen is 11 feet, apart from that two single seater by the side of TV around 4 feet, am i okay ?

Dear psychotropic,
This recommended distance is for viewing HD content. For SD, the distance would increase by a few feet to maybe 10-12 ft.
However, each individual has his/ her own "sweet spot" position, any recommendations/calculations notwithstanding.
Anyway, it was a fantastic upgrade from a 21" tube to 42 plasma.

All:

What is minimum height to wall mount from floor, can it be between 2 and 3 feet ?

PV8 users can u also tell the configuration for me to set

Last edited:
true true 7-8 feet is for HD, and a few more feet for SD.....but then i watch mostly (upscaled) HD, so 7-8 feet works for me....and it's mostly my wife who watches the tata sky, and she is not exactly discriminating about resolutoin.

true true 7-8 feet is for HD, and a few more feet for SD.....but then i watch mostly (upscaled) HD, so 7-8 feet works for me....and it's mostly my wife who watches the tata sky, and she is not exactly discriminating about resolutoin.

Aah! finally caught someone experiencing SD>HD upscaling :p
So does it improve the quality thru' upscaling?
Asking because i'm also debating whether to buy a receiver with or without upscaling.

oh yes it does, but to clarify my only comparison available is between standard 480i DVD and that same DVD upscaled to 1080p (which you can compare by fiddling around on your upscaling DVD player).

I have not tried running the tata sky through an upscaler to see the results.....tata sky images are anyway pretty badly affected by compression artefacts, so from what I hear Reliance BigTV or airtel should be a better option. I am also waiting to see the reports from anyone who has upscaled their DTH signal :) Sorry for not being of help in this regard.

But logic suggests there should be an improvement !

Aah! finally caught someone experiencing SD>HD upscaling :p
So does it improve the quality thru' upscaling?
Asking because i'm also debating whether to buy a receiver with or without upscaling.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back