A question for 42" PV8 user -

Hi Guys,

I just came home after booking the Panasonic Plasma PV8 for 47990 at Vijay Sales, Mumbai......... :D .....They said that I will get the delivery by tomorrow........and the peron for the Demo will come within 3 working days...............Thank you all for helping me so much in deciding the TV..........:)

Will give the feedback about it in the days to come........

Regards,
Heemanshu

Congrats heemanshu.midde and all other new PV8 owners. In my view it is the best Plasma TV especially in the price range of 52K to 55K and it is definitely better than LCD TV in the 40 to 42 inches range. In fact the LCD TVs are 2-3 times the cost of the PV8 in terms of delivering the same performance as the PV8, and many of them at that cost do not even deliver the performance of the PV8. Only thing with the PV8 is that its not Full HD, but that's not much of an issue considering we hardly have any Full HD content available.

I was in the market for the PV8, but decided against it after watching a DVD I carried to the demo, but to say the truth it was with ordinary RCA cables and not HDMI or Component Video cables. Might be this is where I went wrong? I shall definitely carry my Component Video Cable and my DVD/DivX movies and have a more thorough demo this time around.

Please let me know what else to check out or carry or ask for in the demo so that I can make a better and more informed decision this time around.

Hi Guys,

I just came home after booking the Panasonic Plasma PV8 for 47990 at Vijay Sales, Mumbai......... :D .....They said that I will get the delivery by tomorrow........and the peron for the Demo will come within 3 working days...............Thank you all for helping me so much in deciding the TV..........:)

Will give the feedback about it in the days to come........

Regards,
Heemanshu

Congrats heemanshu. I am also looking at buying PV8. That is an excellent price you have got. Is it under exchange?

I was in the market for the PV8, but decided against it after watching a DVD I carried to the demo, but to say the truth it was with ordinary RCA cables and not HDMI or Component Video cables. Might be this is where I went wrong? I shall definitely carry my Component Video Cable and my DVD/DivX movies and have a more thorough demo this time around.

Please let me know what else to check out or carry or ask for in the demo so that I can make a better and more informed decision this time around.

Please don't backtrack from PV8, please. I had indeed bought PV8 after much investigation and breaking many heads here in the forum:D. It's hanging on my wall now, a joy to behold, a masterpiece to look at. I just bought it two weeks back for 53k here in Chennai, no one sells lesser than that here:(.

Having said that, please do not be fooled by the DVD pictures you see in the showrooms, even I was very dissapointed with DVD playback, that's why I started the thread in the first place. First, showroom guys use RCA cables as you said with a normal DVD player, and that itself cannot decide on the DVD content on PV8. I just bought it coz its too good with SD content and it beats any LCD thumbs down. Now, I have a 1,500/- Sony DVD player, and I was totally stunned by the DVD pictures on PV8 at home, it was not that I saw in the showrooms in demo, remember i used only cheap RCA cables that come with these ordinary DVD players, and I was in total shock of the DVD PQ. I achieved this PQ by some basic calibration of PV8, so maybe the TV was not setup properly in these showrooms.

Anyway, let us know of your findings.

Congrats heemanshu. I am also looking at buying PV8. That is an excellent price you have got. Is it under exchange?

No...it is not under exchange.......if I had gone for exchange the sales guy quoted for 3000/- might have got 3500/- or 4000/- but I did not bargain........

why are you feeding your PV8 with a 1500 buck DVD player?

Please don't backtrack from PV8, please. I had indeed bought PV8 after much investigation and breaking many heads here in the forum:D. It's hanging on my wall now, a joy to behold, a masterpiece to look at. I just bought it two weeks back for 53k here in Chennai, no one sells lesser than that here:(.

Having said that, please do not be fooled by the DVD pictures you see in the showrooms, even I was very dissapointed with DVD playback, that's why I started the thread in the first place. First, showroom guys use RCA cables as you said with a normal DVD player, and that itself cannot decide on the DVD content on PV8. I just bought it coz its too good with SD content and it beats any LCD thumbs down. Now, I have a 1,500/- Sony DVD player, and I was totally stunned by the DVD pictures on PV8 at home, it was not that I saw in the showrooms in demo, remember i used only cheap RCA cables that come with these ordinary DVD players, and I was in total shock of the DVD PQ. I achieved this PQ by some basic calibration of PV8, so maybe the TV was not setup properly in these showrooms.

Just got my PV80 today, absolutely love it, far exceeds my expectations especially the SD stuff through Tata Sky.
Thanks all for helping me get to this decision, I really dont think any LCD can match up to the PQ for this price range. I got it in Delhi at a great price of 54K, with 1 yr warranty.
Two queries:
I can seem to connect my laptop, through VGA to the TV, its just a blank screen when I turn it to the PC mode. My laptop (Dell Inspiron 1720) setting is at 1440x900.
Also if I play DVD's through the laptop, will it upscale it, do I install a software and which is a good one?
Once the VGA works, how do I send the Audio out to the TV?
Is there a HDMI adaptor which can fixed on the laptop.

I was getting a PIO 410, at 4600 without bill and 5200 with bill, is it a good deal? However I think it is only 2.1 not 5.1
Is Phillips 5996 comparable?
Also, is it possible to have a system from where I can record/ burn the output of My Panny HD camera displayed onto the TV, into a DVD?
Thanks in advance

I am using my Pioneer DVD player with Panasonic PV 70 with very good results via HDMI connection.
Now I have got my OPPO 983H which will further improve picture quality of my DVD's.

In case anyone interested in Pioneer DVD player can contact me via PM. It is in mint condition hardly used viewing maximum 20 to 30 movies.

SKR

I was getting a PIO 410, at 4600 without bill and 5200 with bill, is it a good deal? However I think it is only 2.1 not 5.1
Is Phillips 5996 comparable?
Also, is it possible to have a system from where I can record/ burn the output of My Panny HD camera displayed onto the TV, into a DVD?
Thanks in advance

Have seen the Pioneer 610 in action on a PV8 and its good. Cannot say about the Pioneer 410 though. I use a budget Philips DVP3986 DVDP and it does a great job too on the PV8. There seem to be some issues with the Philips 5996 so better check with other users on the forum. You can read up on this thread http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-players-dvd-hard-disk-recorders/1692-best-dvd-player-iwth-usb.html.

Finally if you have the budget then go for an Oppo 983, nothing like it.

Hi,
quick check on those of you who did an evaluation between the PV8 and the A450..what did you finally order .. the PV8 or Samsung A450 .. I too am trying to decide between the two ..unfortunately havent found a store with both in stock .. for a one on one comparison.

Am pretty impressed with the A450 but the bulk of the recommendations on this site are for the PV8 ... would appreciate comments from those who have done a one on one comparison between these two models

regards
Sriram Iyer

Hi,
quick check on those of you who did an evaluation between the PV8 and the A450..what did you finally order .. the PV8 or Samsung A450 .. I too am trying to decide between the two ..unfortunately havent found a store with both in stock .. for a one on one comparison.

Am pretty impressed with the A450 but the bulk of the recommendations on this site are for the PV8 ... would appreciate comments from those who have done a one on one comparison between these two models

regards
Sriram Iyer

I checked the Samsung 410 and 450 along with the Panasonic PV8. I settled on the PV8 for a couple of reasons. I have a Panasonic 29" CRT and it absolutely delivers great PQ via a component cable for Divx and DVD content. Next lots of recommendations for the PV8 on this forum. Finally, the Samsung was costing about 5-8K more than the Panasonic so the PV8 was a better option in terms of VFM.

Also, personally I have had prior bad experiences with Samsung products (not TVs but refrigerators and DVDP), but the Japanese products from Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi, JVC (a VCR from the 1980s plays even today) have lasted me years (maybe I am biased towards Japanese and anti-Korean but this is based on my personal experience). All of this helped me sway towards Panasonic PV8 and I have not regretted the decision. The PV8 is just great...

Hi,

regards
Sriram Iyer

I found a450 to be better in picture quality as compared to pv8, but pv8 was cheaper than a450, so i went ahead and bought a pv8 as I was on a tight budget.

Hi,

regards
Sriram Iyer

Hi:

If your viewing is 80% SD and 20% DVD, you can just walk straight to a Panasonic dealer and take home a PV8. Stunning PQ for SD pictures. You won't believe it until you see it. Final lines, excellent TV for SD.

Now, if your viewing is not that much SD and mostly DVD, you can straight away buy a Samsung 410 or 450. They are stunning for DVD and I found SD not that great when compared to PV8. But, mind blowing PQ for DVD.

I loved both PV8 and 410. I saw both side by side at e-zone. I didn't know which one to take. Both excellent.

Hope it helps.

hey guys

u have confused me again
i was planning to buy Panny Pv8 but now i have come across that its resolution is 1024*768 (4:3).

how will it respond when i will connect my laptop with it.
in my knowledge it will just widen the normal resolotion and pictures will be distorted.

what do u say guys.
i wanna tv basically for widescreen viewing
Should i go for LCD?

pls help out
thanks

Last edited:
hey guys

u have confused me again
i was planning to buy Panny Pv8 but now i have come across that its resolution is 1024*768 (4:3).
That is why it is better for SD. Go for it.

how will it respond when i will connect my laptop with it.
in my knowledge it will just widen the normal resolotion and pictures will be distorted.
LCDs are better as computer monitors, they display static text much better. In fact it is not advisable to use a plasma with static picture content for prolonged periods.
Hence, if laptop is your primary source, go for LCD. If TV viewing is primary activity, then go for PV8.

I'll add my 2 cents to the Samsung A410 v/s Panasonic PV8 fight. It's my first hand comparison details which i just added originally added in "Buying 42" plasma" topic.

I'll like to share my experience after looking at them intensely for 45 minutes, with every kind of signal fed to them and changing settings every 2-4 minutes -

I'll compare PQ in 2 aspects (Colors and Brightness/Liveliness) for each signal type (SD and HD)

SD signal (Big TV and DVD) -

1) Colors - Samsung failed. Person's face getting too red, football field not looking natural, etc.
Same thing on Panny came out a bit better.
Samsung = 65/100 ; Panasonic = 75/100

2) Brightness/Liveliness - In spite of making a lot of changes in settings, putting Samsung's settings higher, it still looked less lively and dull. Panasonic put up more life inside. Something like increasing your mobile display brightness by 2 levels, if there are 10 in all.
Samsung = 55/100 ; Panasonic = 70/100

HDTV signal (Big TV and DVD) -
I made it sure they used component cable for it.

1) Colors -
Everything seemed very natural, and extremely perfect on the Samsung. I was really amazed, as i havnt really seen any TV put up such amazing colors before. I literally went "thirsty" when i saw the water on miami beach.
No TV was really going to catch the Sammy here and Panasonic was not an exception.
Samsung = 90/100 ; Panasonic 65/100

2) Brightness/Liveliness -
Sammy won. It showed up almost same brightness as the LCD's even in the bright showroom. Big difference again, compared with panny. Looking at panny after Samsung was as like turning your mobile phone's display brightness by massive 5 levels.
Samsung = 85/100 ; Panasonic = 60/100

So, considering averages,

For SD signals, Samsung = 60/100 ; Panasonic = 72.5/100
For HD signals, Samsung = 87.5/100 ; Panasonic = 62.5/100

I don't understand how they can perform inversely for the 2 different signals. Seems like they are specifically tuned for it.

Well, it's just my experience in the end. Others can experience a bit different, but wont be too different i guess.
Btw, please note that i have considered DVD signal and SD signal as same.

Last edited:

I had placed an order for the Panasonic PV8 and the Onkyo 5100 after lots of research and auditions on Christmas to take advantage of the year end offers. (Will be getting the OPPO 980 in a couple of weeks)

The PV8 box landed yesterday and the installation team is scheduled to come tomorrow. The Onkyo team will come for the installation later this week.

Wanted to get advice from PV8 / 5100 owners on their advice on installation..any aspects to be careful about.

Any tips on the height for wall mounting ? Tips on PV8 calibration.

For the HT, I have been told that I dont need to put brackets and to put screws on the wall and mount the surround speakers on the screws. Is this a good approach ?

I currently use a local cable provider. What is the recommended satellite TV provider ... Airtel / Tata / Reliance ?

regards
Sriram Iyer

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back