A question on fans on AVR for cooling

I recently bought the fans as linked below. What is the best way to cool an AVR

1. Blow air into it
2. Suck hot air from it
3. Have one fan blow air and the other suck hot air

Kindly advice.As of now all three of the above are working but which would be optimal ?

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00IJ2J2K0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
NEVER blow air into the vents of an amp/avr! You run the risk of spreading the heat all around internally and eventually damaging your gear.
If I had two fans to cool an amp placed inside a cabinet, I'd create cutouts on left and right sides at rear of the cabinet. Mount one fan to blow air into the cabinet and the other fan to pull hot air out from the opposite side. Just my two cents..

Thanks for the suggestion Even on the ad for the fan, the fan is placed on the AVR to suck hot air out and not to blow air in.

"Hot air naturally rises up, so that’s the best direction to direct it away from your A/V boxes. Leaving hot air where it’s emitted will add to the overheating problem, so this is especially important if they are encased in a cabinet or set in other tight spaces. If a top exhaust isn’t an option, you may also expel heat from the front and the rear."

Think best move is to have 2 fans, one blowing in and one out. All blowing in will create positive pressure and move and air, while all blowing out will create a negative pressure and air will be pulled in via vacuum.

In positive pressure scenario you will have more dust accumulation.

Also most important is to go for larger fan, as it can run at a lower RPM and still provide good air circulation while creating less noise.

In my opinion what has worked all these years for me professionally for shows and also for my home gear was Blowing Air in the AVR / AMP....as there is some outlet (open slits) at the bottom for the hot air to come out or from the sides.

Depending on how much continuous use and volume output is kept, heat will be generated by the amp circuit which needs appropriate cooling to avoid over heating.

Only downside to this is that dust will get pulled in to the circuits much more, which you need to clean out at regular intervals

One blowing in and one blowing out is a good option. Have not really tried that, professional used outdoor amps come with 2 fans...designed to switch on when heat increases..one blows in and one blows out...somewhat like a exhaust cooling tower.

Just out of the box question. Not to offend anyone here.
just curious, is cooling fan really necessary?? How hot can an AVR get over a movie or two continuously. Can it build up so much heat that it start to fail?
I am asking this coz, I have actually run a class AB as well as a Class A amp continuously for more than 7 hours, and once I have even slept off with the amp on all night and I have not seen it give up on me. I mean, all amps would have gone through immense testing before it’s moved to mass production.
Extreme scenarios are definitely tested by the manufacturer. So in that case why add an external cooling fan ?? If an AVR needed an external cooling or alternatively a fan, the manufacturer would have given it as a standard offering. What am I missing here???

just curious, is cooling fan really necessary?? How hot can an AVR get over a movie or two continuously. Can it build up so much heat that it start to fail?
I am asking this coz, I have actually run a class AB as well as a Class A amp continuously for more than 7 hours, and once I have even slept off with the amp on all night and I have not seen it give up on me. I mean, all amps would have gone through immense testing before it’s moved to mass production.
Extreme scenarios are definitely tested by the manufacturer. So in that case why add an external cooling fan ?? If an AVR needed an external cooling or alternatively a fan, the manufacturer would have given it as a standard offering. What am I missing here???
Well said. My AVR was running for a year or so without fans. Then it broke down. Some HDMI issue. When I got it back from repairs, I thought that it was running very hot. Having a class D amp running cool made it much worse. So, for my peace of mind, I got the fans. Other than the fact that they cost a bit as they are imported, they don't cause any harm but they give me peace of mind.

Spending 33000 on repairs does make one more circumspect.

Last edited:
HEAT is the biggest enemy of Electronics if it is not properly ventilated.Let it be AVR or Stereo/Integrated Amp.

I am not discussing about water heater/ warmer / toaster /OTG which are meant for heating purpose :)

Yes.
in AVR there are chances of HDMI board failure if it is not properly ventilated.
I have actually run a class AB as well as a Class A amp continuously for more than 7 hours, and once I have even slept off with the amp on all night and I have not seen it give up on me.
Dedicated Stereo amps/ IA /Poweramp have properly designed heatsink for amplifier section. Other than amp section there won't be much heat dissipation inside the enclosure may be slightly from powersupply section. Even AVR has heatsink in amplifier section but not for other modules (eg- HDMI section,power supply section ).
AVR - It is cramped with lot of components inside a small enclosure and it does lot of things.
Yes there are compromise in Heatsink thickness /size /design in basic model AVR.
Compared to Non HDMI model AVR ,HDMI model has highest failure rate due to complicated design and above mentioned factors.

So in that case why add an external cooling fan ?? If an AVR needed an external cooling or alternatively a fan, the manufacturer would have given it as a standard offering.
There are cooling fans inside AVR in mid/highend models ,and it is placed near power Amp section that too available only on few models /brands.

Earlier days there was a myth ,that everone would have come across looking for spike buster/ buying spike buster for their TV to avoid spare part failure due lightning which cost 25rs.Why cant Tv company provide this spike buster as standard part of Tv!? Similar to stabilizer market !!!

Coming to your query

Why they are not giving as standard ? - If there is no spare part failure.No business from the old AVR unit .. simple

Hope u got the right info.

External Fan is necessary to minimize the chance of hdmi board failure.

PS - I own and run 2 MARANTZ AVRs Under Aircom
infinity T9.
it keeps the AVR Cool.:cool:

Last edited:
In my opinion what has worked all these years for me professionally for shows and also for my home gear was Blowing Air in the AVR / AMP....as there is some outlet (open slits) at the bottom for the hot air to come out or from the sides.

Depending on how much continuous use and volume output is kept, heat will be generated by the amp circuit which needs appropriate cooling to avoid over heating.

Only downside to this is that dust will get pulled in to the circuits much more, which you need to clean out at regular intervals

One blowing in and one blowing out is a good option. Have not really tried that, professional used outdoor amps come with 2 fans...designed to switch on when heat increases..one blows in and one blows out...somewhat like a exhaust cooling tower.
I completely agree on the part that Yes, the amp will collect a lot of dust, and will require cleaning at frequent intervals.

The midrange AVR like Denon 2000 series doesn't get so much hot ,but the higher series l which is having higher channel like 9 / 11channel processing and amplification ( Ex: Denon x 4000 series Marantz SR 7000/8000 series) gets too much heat even sometimes in AC Rooms. For safety reasons if AVR builds too.much heat it automatically shuts itself to prevent continuous internal.heating.
Therefore to avoid such scenarios it's always better to keep the AVR in a well ventilated area.
I use coolermaster laptop fans to prevent heat build up. It will be even better to have cooler fans like AC infinity AIRCOM. Yes dust collection is unavoidable in this case.It can be cleaned only by opening .

In an AVR with HDMI board there are chances of heating and damaging..Hdmi Board is a 5v board with highly sensitive circuit..most of the AVR issues are related to hdmi board...so if u have and Hdmi port/s it's better to use a fan unless u have placed the gear in AC room or very well air ventilated cabinet .
Mine is Marantz NR 1200 and it's just a stereo receiver.im not using it in air conditioned room..it got automatically shut down once due to over heating .."Speaker protecting mode activated" was the display before shut down..i had hardly used it for 4 hours continuously...

The midrange AVR like Denon 2000 series doesn't get so much hot ,but the higher series l which is having higher channel like 9 / 11channel processing and amplification ( Ex: Denon x 4000 series Marantz SR 7000/8000 series) gets too much heat even sometimes in AC Rooms. For safety reasons if AVR builds too.much heat it automatically shuts itself to prevent continuous internal.heating.
Therefore to avoid such scenarios it's always better to keep the AVR in a well ventilated area.
I use coolermaster laptop fans to prevent heat build up. It will be even better to have cooler fans like AC infinity AIRCOM. Yes dust collection is unavoidable in this case.It can be cleaned only by opening .
Probably a dumb question, will a laptop cooling pad suck the air out efficiently(?), if we place it upside down on top of the avr? I asked the same question to @amrutmhatre90 as well 😬 . Found you both are using cooling pad to cool the avr

Probably a dumb question, will a laptop cooling pad suck the air out efficiently(?), if we place it upside down on top of the avr? I asked the same question to @amrutmhatre90 as well 😬 . Found you both are using cooling pad to cool the avr
I use this one https://www.amazon.in/Cosmic-Byte-Asteroid-Cooling-Adjustable/dp/B071DJ8MQ4 and it works well in BLR.

AVR (not kept in enclosed cabinet etc.) stays cool or at most gets moderately warm depending on ambient temps. after extended usage of 3 to 4 hrs of movie watching when earlier it used to get hot without the cooling pad. Airflow is upward with the cooling pad, so no need to place it upside down over the AVR.

I use this one https://www.amazon.in/Cosmic-Byte-Asteroid-Cooling-Adjustable/dp/B071DJ8MQ4 and it works well in BLR.

AVR (not kept in enclosed cabinet etc.) stays cool or at most gets moderately warm depending on ambient temps. after extended usage of 3 to 4 hrs of movie watching when earlier it used to get hot without the cooling pad. Airflow is upward with the cooling pad, so no need to place it upside down over the AVR.
Thanks for the response. Since it kind of suction, I hope it won't accumulate much dust inside?

Thanks for the response. Since it kind of suction, I hope it won't accumulate much dust inside?
A fan blowing into the AVR on the other hand is likely to dump more dust in rather than a fan pulling out air. The vortex effect generated by the fans on the cooling pad are probably not too powerful to suck in too much dust. Just keep the laptop pad placed on top of the AVR covered with a cloth when not in use and remember to remove it before powering on the AVR.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back