A real Value for money TT

I haven't tried the Stabilizing rings myself but i do have a TT weight and must say the difference can be heard i wud'nt say the diff is nite and day but worth the buy IMHO.

Hello NashX,
I could visualize that it will have a significant impact on the sound production as it is helping the record to have a better grip. I have a feeling that TT weight will do the job mostly and we really don't need a stabilizing ring.Now the question is how to get one. Did you custom made yourself or procured from a shop.Are they generic or TT model specific.How much do they cost?
thanks,
Mahi

Yes, the project TT has RCA connections. The RCA cable is actually hardwired on to the deck (don't ask me why).

They have a model with built-in Phono amp, and another without it. Make sure you buy the one without the phono amp. Connect it to the phono input on your receiver using the RCA cable.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hello Sharad,
I have a question for you? How do you maintain your project TT? How do u clean the stylus and how often do you clean them?
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

So what phono are you using?

regards

Hello anm,
yes they provided me with the dust cover. I feel it is very essential in India. It doesn't have the in- built pre I guess as my receiver has phono input. It has three wires . two of them are phono rca jacks and one for ground. It doesn't have USB.I guess if I want to connect my laptop with it I just need a headphone jack male both sides so that receiver and laptop can be connected.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

So what phono are you using?

regards

Hello anm,
I am not properly understanding what you r asking. I guess my a/v receiver onkyo TX-SR 705 has an inbuilt phono amplifier it is doing the job. If the TT has its own amplifier then it works as a pre amp and when paired with the receiver I guess receiver works as a power amp. In that case the rca outs from the TT needs to be connected to the pre out of the receiver.This is my hunch not sure about it. Some experts may confirm this.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

yes, that is what I was asking. Some people use external pre, specially when using with integrated amps or avrs that do not have a phono input.
Smedhavi uses a NAD Pre.

regards

congrats mahiruha!

glad to hear you're enjoying the vinyl sound :)

re static, after cleaning it might develop it. you order an antistat gun that neutralizes static on records. i'm planning to order one myself. lpgear.com has the cheapest one i've come across. also do you use a carbon fibre brush before each play? would help with the static. also i've found that after a few plays a bit of the crackle disappears. might happen for you too.

re stylus cleaning i prefer cleaning it after each side dry brush or wet depending on lp condition. after a while you get the hang of whether it needs wet cleaning or not, at least most of the times :)

regards

Hi Steven,

you order an antistat gun that neutralizes static on records. i'm planning to order one myself

Before you buy the Zerostat gun try an ordinary Gas Stove lighter .

Just keep the lighter a few inches away from the LP and press the button on the lighter at different places on the playing surface.

This will reduce the static,only problem is that it does not look as cool as the Zerostat.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Steven,

Before you buy the Zerostat gun try an ordinary Gas Stove lighter .

Just keep the lighter a few inches away from the LP and press the button on the lighter at different places on the playing surface.

This will reduce the static,only problem is that it does not look as cool as the Zerostat.

Regards
Rajiv

Hello Rajiv,
that's a interesting piece of information. Should we hold the lighter parallel or perpendicular to the record surface?
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hi Mahiruha,

You point the lighter at the record surface,i.e.perpendicular to the playing surface.

I forgot to mention, you press the button slowly hold for a few seconds and release slowly.

You could also use it in the normal way but it may not be as effective.You can try both methods and see which works best .

Regards
Rajiv

Hello NashX,
I could visualize that it will have a significant impact on the sound production as it is helping the record to have a better grip. I have a feeling that TT weight will do the job mostly and we really don't need a stabilizing ring.Now the question is how to get one. Did you custom made yourself or procured from a shop.Are they generic or TT model specific.How much do they cost?
thanks,
Mahi

DIY Record Clamp/Turntable Weight, Universal Record Stabilizer - Improved Signal - try this a good DIY opt:)

just spoke to mr. shubho pathak.. srinivisan, good news for you.. he is ready to ship a cartridge to coimbatore against a DD, but he's not sure whether he has a 78 rpm cartridge in stock.. he was saying something about changing the stylus, which went miles above my head.. he asked me to call him back after 3-4 days.. anyway, since i'm out of town next week, i told him i'll call him next sunday..

thanks, prateek..

Dear Mr. Remus

Thanks for your kind post and iam so glad that members from this forum do help and guide a lot.please keep me informed or let me know when can i mail you again. Do you have the model and rates for the shure cartridge?
Regards
Srinivasan.

srinivasan,

i met mr pathak today.. he said that he may be able to get shure 78 rpm cartridges, at an approximate cost of Rs.4300/-, give or take a few hundred.. he will accept DD.. i believe you should talk to him directly now at 09831163529..

meena bazar! where is that? I would like to buy one but I have no idea how to separate junk from good stuff.

opp. the red fort. Shah Music Centre, 256 Meena Bazaar, Jama Masjid, Delhi - 6, 23276090.

pl. note, u really HAVE to rummage and spend time to get a good piece, and there should be many.

don't worry about asking him to pull down all the options he has to show you, and there are many. they are pretty rough with the stuff and it breaks your heart usually, to see them handle these treasures so.

try not to go during prayer times (he is a devout muslim).

try to deal with the elder shah, gives a better deal, though he is a better seller owing to experience. u CAN bargain. pl. do.

check the final one u want to buy thoroughly, do not go by what they say, even when they try to hurry you up or your decision.

try out each option and cable. don't say to yourself i will try it at home.

pick up a few records while u r at it. they have a trove.

i would recommend (with my very shallow understanding) u go for a DD TT vis a vis a BD, when scouting for a SH TT. quality of the belt is usually suspect owing to the time and method of storage. also, i would recommend you have a list of manufacturers, like only Sony, Technics, Phillips, AudioTechnica, etc., no non-TT brands. try not to take a chance on the Garrards, etc., unless u kno what u r doing.

happy shopping.

Hello NashX,
thanks for your suggestion.While browsing project website I came across a puck that is displayed in their website. I called up Nova Audio Mumbai who are authorized project dealer to see if they store them. Unfortunately they don't have anything in stock but the guy over phone advised me that with Project debut III TT it is not a good idea to use the puck. As it will put more stress on the motor and eventually imparing its performence. I then thought that when a record is played the motor is deviised in such a way that with the added weight of disc, mat and record it can maintain a steady 33.5 rpm. Now we really don't know how much weight allowance the motor is left with to maintain the steady rpm. Unless we know this weight margin I don't think it is a good idea to randomly use a puck. Not only it coul destroy the motor in long run but we might loose the melody of the music. Well that's my idea any comments welcome.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

yes mahiruha, it is not advisable to use the puck with entry level models. the motor of the lower models have just enough torque to spin the platter perfectly at the set rpm. putting additional weight will spoil the motor in the long run.

regards,
abhishek.

Hello NashX,
thanks for your suggestion.While browsing project website I came across a puck that is displayed in their website. I called up Nova Audio Mumbai who are authorized project dealer to see if they store them. Unfortunately they don't have anything in stock but the guy over phone advised me that with Project debut III TT it is not a good idea to use the puck. As it will put more stress on the motor and eventually imparing its performence. I then thought that when a record is played the motor is deviised in such a way that with the added weight of disc, mat and record it can maintain a steady 33.5 rpm. Now we really don't know how much weight allowance the motor is left with to maintain the steady rpm. Unless we know this weight margin I don't think it is a good idea to randomly use a puck. Not only it coul destroy the motor in long run but we might loose the melody of the music. Well that's my idea any comments welcome.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back