A song from your vintage Cassette deck

Questions, questions..
you have a technics deck ?
Where did you get the glass head ?
What soundcard do you have? I used to convert using my Audigy Platinum, but still had a lot more noise than I wanted, and compressing made it worse.

Questions, questions..
you have a technics deck ?
Where did you get the glass head ?
What soundcard do you have? I used to convert using my Audigy Platinum, but still had a lot more noise than I wanted, and compressing made it worse.

I bought a Technics deck few days ago. Changed the belt, pb/rec head, erase head, pinch roller, lubricated almost all moving parts, cleaned all pots and presets. I recorded the song without using any sound card (directly to my mother board's blue 'Line in' from deck's 'Line out').

The sound has not been modified in any way. The glass head fortunately sounds better than the original Technics head. So does the erase head. The glass head was one from my old collection.

The song was recorded the way voice is recorded via mic. I pressed the red button while playing the song in the deck. Recorded in wave format. The wave track sounds better than the YouTube video.

This is the Cassette 'Love at the movies'

Imageshack - 6qap.jpg

Last edited:
The question remains...where did you get the parts??? :)

I have a Technics deck that could use a once-over...

I had the parts with me for more than a decade. Collected it from various districts in my state. I have a collection of belts, rollers etc which I collected from time to time :)

Now that's a useful hobby :cool:

The song sounds really good especially the finger-snapping...very tough to get it real...btw the image says sony all over...not the actual pic i gather...could you put a pic of your setup?
:clapping:

Now that's a useful hobby :cool:

The song sounds really good especially the finger-snapping...very tough to get it real...btw the image says sony all over...not the actual pic i gather...could you put a pic of your setup?
:clapping:

Thank you. I uploaded a song from a cassette on YouTube for the first time. The mod I done to the deck gave good results. It is Sony in the image like I mentioned in the YT video description (Image source: Google Images).

Images of decks after service (clean up)

Imageshack - 1k04.jpg Both Technics RS-B305(http://audiozavar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/p1010999.jpg) and Akai HX-M30W (Part of 70's http://img1.mlstatic.com/s_MLA_v_O_f_2706501103_052012.jpg)

Imageshack - dtm3.jpg Technics inside

Imageshack - fb60.jpg Akai inside

Last edited:
Back