A used Garrard 0-100B

gobble

Whats a good price for a used Zero-100B TT? Is this TT easily serviceable or is there anything to watch out for like well know problems that cannot be improved upon etc?

--G0bble

Whats a good price for a used Zero-100B TT? Is this TT easily serviceable or is there anything to watch out for like well know problems that cannot be improved upon etc?

--G0bble

I think its Gerrard Zero 100sb.Its a good looking but not top of the line TT from Gerrard.It is not very common in India.Price should be 8 to 10k for well maintained TT.Buy it if you are getting one in good condition.

Regards

Sachin

I think its Gerrard Zero 100sb.Its a good looking but not top of the line TT from Gerrard.It is not very common in India.Price should be 8 to 10k for well maintained TT.Buy it if you are getting one in good condition.

Regards

Sachin

Thanks. This page also has some useful advice: Garrard Zero 100 SB turntable

I don't think I want it @12k + shipping.

--G0bble

12K is too much for a Zero 100. I have seen it sold for half that money.
Joshua

--G0bble

Hi Gobble,

The Garrard zero 100 is a good transcription grade turntable, but you should be very careful of one thing before buying one - the tonearm.

The tonearm in the zero 100 is a very complex mechanism with the dual arms to maintain perfect tracking. Since only used ones are available, we should check the mechanism of the tonearm properly. Again, it has got 4 movement points instead of 1 as in a regular tonearm, so i feel the chances of error creeping in would be more with the aging.

Regards,
Abhishek

Wow! Nice to see interest in turntables!! :)

I owned a Garrard in the early 90's and loved it ... getting a replacement cartridge/needle was also cheap since there were generic ones I could use. But 12K for a TT is pricey by any stretch. How much would a Rega Planar go for in India??

A Garrard Zero 100B is actually an excellent turntable, provided that the speed is accurate and that the arm bearings are working perfectly. The arm was an ingenious design to eliminate tracking error by marginally re-positioning the angle of the cartridge/headshell as it moved inward. With lack of use, that mechanism can often get jammed, though it is possible to get it working again with a bit of lubricant. Because it's a complex assembly, it is often criticized for its high mass and its inability to get along with some cartridges.

Still, I've heard it sound superb in a friend's system with a Shure M55E.

Incidentally the TT came in two versions, idler drive initially, and belt drive later.

The cost is reasonable, in the context of what new TTs cost today in India.

A Garrard Zero 100B is actually an excellent turntable, provided that the speed is accurate and that the arm bearings are working perfectly. The arm was an ingenious design to eliminate tracking error by marginally re-positioning the angle of the cartridge/headshell as it moved inward. With lack of use, that mechanism can often get jammed, though it is possible to get it working again with a bit of lubricant. Because it's a complex assembly, it is often criticized for its high mass and its inability to get along with some cartridges.

Still, I've heard it sound superb in a friend's system with a Shure M55E.

Incidentally the TT came in two versions, idler drive initially, and belt drive later.

The cost is reasonable, in the context of what new TTs cost today in India.

Such an informed post could only come from a person I know in Bombay who was my "mentor" during those glorious CB days :D
Check your PM and email... I am exactly the person you think I am ... ha ha :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back