AC RYAN - Play on HD Owners Thread

Hi DV,

Even I am beginnign to think its a hardware related issue, but its a bummber I got this piece from the US. I am not sure if I can get a warranty in India. Chances are not.

However I will follow it up. I will also try and post the pictures here and may be then you can figure out.

I will also try safe flashing with the official firmware and also the new beta. And then check the same files.

The wierd thing is it doesn't happen in all the files. Only a few.

Ok, even though I haven't had a chance to take the pictures but I guess I found out a way to get rid of the problem.

Technically, I am still not sure what the problem is.

Last night I was watching CastAway Blue Ray print (MKV) but somehow the MKV was ripped in a way that I was not able to resume playback and was also not able to skip the movies forward.

So I switched to another ~ 700MB DVD print (divx/ avi) which I was able to resume and skip.
As soon as I started playing this movie, I saw many streaks horizontally, and it started getting really annoying. At this time my PlayONHD was set to display at 1080P 60Hz.

Out of curiosity I changed it to 720p 50Hz/ 60Hz and the problem disappeared. I did not see any scratches after that. I repeated this multiple times with the same file though and the white lines kept coming back with the higher resolution of 1080p. But went away in a lower resolution.

Can someone help me understand what's happening technically?

Tonight I will try to use a few of the heavy MKV rips (7-8GB) and see if they have those lines in the 1080P mode and then do they go in the 720p mode.

Thanks.

red and white lines on ps3? - DVD Talk Forum

Random white lines flash across my XMB when displa... - Official PlayStation Community -PlayStation.com

Seems like it is a problem of the cable? The guy in the above post doesnt have a POHD but he faces the same issue with his DVD player?

The issue goes off when he plays it in 720p mode. In my case the issue disappears in 1080i 50Hz/ 60Hz mode.

Can anyone deduce anything from this?
I will try the composite cable connection/ and other settings as suggested. but though this might help you guys.

@venkatcr - would you have any leads?

Some pics added to show the scratches

img10661.jpg

img10671.jpg

img10681h.jpg

Added a video link here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OSgMl869Y0

Last edited:
POHD2 will be @9500, POHD2 Mini @7700 as per POHD India. Both will be available from 3rd week Apr.

Can someone please clarify about the model named POHD+ (As present in the AC Ryan Palyon India Website).

What the difference between POHD and POHD+. This model POHD+ is selling for 7800Rs (And 8800Rs with Wifi N adapter).

The newer model POHD2 is priced at 150 pounds == 10800Rs. Indian equivalent price will be 13K + (my estimate) atleast.

Is this POHD+ good price to buy 7800Rs?

This player POHD+ suits for my specifications except for the lack of USB3.0 and Gigabit ethernet as compared to POHD2. For me USB3.0 and GbE might not be required for another year.

POHD2 will be @9500, POHD2 Mini @7700 as per POHD India. Both will be available from 3rd week Apr.

Is there any major difference between the POHD and POHD2. What will be the better choice to buy, in terms of features and performance.

POHD2 is based on a better chip than POHD and has more memory. The performance of GUI 2.0 is better in POHD2.

guys,

is there any list of supported devices like wifi dongles and routers for Play On?or any thing will work?
(just like WD live, these have specific set of wifi router models to utilize network mode of live)

Thanks.

Guys, Need a suggestion from you all. I'min the process of getting Synology DS411+ NAS server. I am also planning use this NAS as the storage for my media files. I was checking in Synology site and they have listed very few media players that are compatible and one of them is Playon HD. My question is,

- How good is Playon compared to other media streamers? My budget is >10K.
- Since Synology says Playon HD is compatible, Playon HD2 will also be compatible by default? I hate buy a old model when a new version is available....

Thanks a lot for your inputs......

1.) POHD is good in terms of widgets and simple playback of movies with Bitstream and passthrough. However its hopeless when it comes to the Bittorrent download capability.
Widgets do work well. GUI 2.0 is sluggish.

2.) Ensure with Synology whether its compatible with HD2.

How about playing all DTS-HD , DTS-MA and other HD audio formats ? The issue with realtek chip license is solved ?

@Above, nope I dont think so, they're ability to provide solutions to the problems has reduced drastically. Everyday there's a new addition to the support forum and the nest day he threatens about buying another Media Player.

Inspite of this, ACRyan is hell bent on launching Flux and other new products. I am losing respect for it, for the single reason, how can You sell an unstable product? You're using the public as Beta testers, rather Unit testers. The very basic playback fail in the POHD :(

Last week, I bgt a AC Ryan Play on HD essential with 1TB in built along with a wifi dongle for 9k. Since this is new purchase i assume it has the latest firmware.

1. How & where do I see the bit torrent, youtube and other apps. Currently all I could see is movies, songs, pictures etc menu items. Should I install bittorrent manually ?
2. How do I add/install YAMJ to my POHD?
3. What is the easiest way to connect my POHD to laptop.

Pls share your knowledge and help me.

TIA.

Last week, I bgt a AC Ryan Play on HD essential with 1TB in built along with a wifi dongle for 9k. Since this is new purchase i assume it has the latest firmware.

1. How & where do I see the bit torrent, youtube and other apps. Currently all I could see is movies, songs, pictures etc menu items. Should I install bittorrent manually ?
2. How do I add/install YAMJ to my POHD?
3. What is the easiest way to connect my POHD to laptop.

Pls share your knowledge and help me.

TIA.
Hi - Where did you buy it from ?

Check the firmware in Setup > System > version

Also, yesterday I updated the latest software version after the beta r2115.
its got the same looks, although its a little less slow. So a little faster.

I did notice, I wasn't able to play my 1080p M2TS files in 1080P 50-60 hz finance. I switched off the Ipscaler (video upscaling option in the AVR), so I only let the PlayON HD handle the video, and I think I let it pass untouched by the POHD.

But in the 1080p mode I would keep seeing 3 vertical lines white colored, during the playback which would make the screen stutter. Highly annoying...

I had to reduce it to 1080i and only then the playback was smooth.

Any clues? Kittu, do you also have the same problem?

Just to add, the same files played on 1080p in the previous firmware r2115.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back