Ac Ryan POHD2 or WD TV Live (2011) ?

Prads D.

Hello friends,

After a lot of research and an abysmal experience with the new Amkette Evo TV XL, I am back to looking for a Streaming Media Player.

I am chiefly want to do the following:

1. Play Movies / TV Shows from a hard drive

2. DLNA or AirPlay

3. 3D is not important

The NAS and BitTorrent feature of POHD2 is quite exciting.

However WD TV Live (non HDD) has the ability to retrieve music and files from Mac Computers on the network.

Keeping price aside I wanted to know which is the better product and what do the gurus here feel...

Thanks a lot,

Prads

Last edited:
The build quality and overall user experience on the playon is way superior to the wd tv. You can not go wrong with it. And if its just the streaming you want from your system/computer, then go for the playon mini hd2 which is all the same but for the internal hdd.

Torrenting on these is a bit of a buzz kill cause it works but not very desirable. For Torrenting you can use a smaller medium like a goflex dock or a router with a hdd attached and make your own cloud server

tapped on Note II cdma

Mate, I have been using the POHD since last 2 years....bought it through a group buy on our forum.... and have been extremely satisfied with it.....updated firmware few times.....build quality, etc are very good......Usage has been primarily watching HD content thanks to the HDD slot available with it...

They have also recently launched a 3D POHD in Singapore some time back....in case you are interested....go ahead...

@dheerajjotwani & @ illusion_heart

Thank you for the opinion mates!

My only concern with POHD2 was that a number of reviews online placed it much lower than the WD TV Live in terms of interface and stuff. A few of the reviews also cited a number of stability issues in the earlier firmwares at the time or review around 2011 and specifically stated lag in the interface i.e. between key presses on the remote and the responses on the interface.

Online research at the WD forum also indicated that a number of people were facing random issues with the player like non detecting of Hard drives, freezing, abruptly shutting down, etc and moreover it is out of stock in Mumbai so will have to buy from abroad and go through that hassle.

I also had one other query, if I use the POHD2 on my wired network, would the Macs on the network detect it and its harddrive / Pen Drive as a NAS and would the POHD2 be able to detect shared folders on the Macs on the network?? I know a noob question but please help!

Thanks in advance :)

@prosenjit

i very rarely use DVDs, the Disk drives on all my systems are now dead, for lack of use so i dont think i wanna go for a Bluray Player now, maybe switch to a better component based HT instead of the Sony DZ 310 that i have now n then incorporate a Blueray into it.

my logic is then why double cost..
you can buy a very good blu ray player who can play from usb as well within 15k...
there are models from 6k in fact...

use your blu ray player as media player now....use the disk playing capability in future..if anytime you rent or buy a disk...

i mean just an idea..no offence

I totally get your point but i feel i am a bit jinxed with physical media, so currently thinking of sticking to a media player for now!

Back