Acer H5370BD - Impressions

I feel the pop up in 3D movies are very little but the depth is great. Do others see the same.

Did you tried 3D L/R invert ?
I'm using sainsonic glasses rechargeable/button battery with H5380.
3D is great with this budget projector.

Did you tried 3D L/R invert ?
I'm using sainsonic glasses rechargeable/button battery with H5380.
3D is great with this budget projector.
Yes I did L/R invert, only when the picture is back with the subs in the front is watchable, is this the correct one.

Starting with a disclaimer - This post is by no means an attempt (professional or novice) to declare the projector the de-facto choice for any of you. This is just a humble attempt to present my impressions of the pj with pure intention to assist anyone of you with any data points needed :cool:

Contrast is not something to write home about. The colors are natural again for the movie mode as well. Sharpness is good (for me).

As for Rainbow effect - yes, it is present. Does it bother me or others in the family - Absolutely no.

I do notice a bit of flicker when playing 1080p content but can attribute that to my source as of now - laptop running vlc player with no video h/w acceleration. Will test the content with WDTV player and update again.

I came across your post recently. I know it's a little late, but for what it's worth, I wanted to thank you for an honest review. This is a refreshing change from most other "reviews", which sometimes seem more like an attempt by the owners to justify their purchase decisions:p:lol::D.

Last edited:
First time posting here. Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask for this!

I've had this projector for 1 year, 3 months and 3 weeks in other words, 3 months and 3 weeks out of warranty. So of course something breaks now. It worked fine the night before last, and I didn't use it last night. Tonight, I try to turn it on, and the fan spins up, it beeps twice, and the Power LED flashes blue. This cycle repeats for a few minutes, then it beeps three times, the fan spins down permanently, and the Lamp LED flashes red.

The manual seems to say that the first pattern (flashing blue Power LED) indicates the lamp is retrying, and the second cycle (flashing red Lamp LED) indicates "color Wheel fail." I contacted Acer support and since unplugging the power cord and holding the power button down to "discharge static electricity" didn't work, they want $250 + tax + shipping to repair it.

Anyone have any ideas of what the problem may be, or if I can do anything to fix this? Or know any projector repair places in the Bay area?

First time posting here. Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask for this!

I've had this projector for 1 year, 3 months and 3 weeks in other words, 3 months and 3 weeks out of warranty. So of course something breaks now. It worked fine the night before last, and I didn't use it last night. Tonight, I try to turn it on, and the fan spins up, it beeps twice, and the Power LED flashes blue. This cycle repeats for a few minutes, then it beeps three times, the fan spins down permanently, and the Lamp LED flashes red.

The manual seems to say that the first pattern (flashing blue Power LED) indicates the lamp is retrying, and the second cycle (flashing red Lamp LED) indicates "color Wheel fail." I contacted Acer support and since unplugging the power cord and holding the power button down to "discharge static electricity" didn't work, they want $250 + tax + shipping to repair it.

Anyone have any ideas of what the problem may be, or if I can do anything to fix this? Or know any projector repair places in the Bay area?

Sorry to hear.:sad: Are you in California or anywhere in the US? How many hours do you have on the bulb? If I were you and had no option for a free repair I would get a 5380 on ebay and have an option to get one of those Square trade warranties seperately. I contacted the seller and he said that would be an option. I got mine from the seller and so far after 7 months going strong: Acer H5380BD 3D DLP Home Theater Projector Native 720P 1280x720 3000 ANSI Lumens | eBay

Good luck!

Sorry to hear.:sad: Are you in California or anywhere in the US? How many hours do you have on the bulb? If I were you and had no option for a free repair I would get a 5380 on ebay and have an option to get one of those Square trade warranties seperately. I contacted the seller and he said that would be an option. I got mine from the seller and so far after 7 months going strong: Acer H5380BD 3D DLP Home Theater Projector Native 720P 1280x720 3000 ANSI Lumens | eBay

Good luck!

I'm in California, yes. I have no idea how many hours are on the bulb, and I can't tell since the projector won't get past spinning up the fan. The bulb never turns on. The last time I tried to turn it on last night, after it went through the whole cycle of beeping and spinning the fan up and down, I did hear a little *pop* when it finally stopped trying. Would that indicate it might just be the bulb?

I'd love to repair this one if possible, since it seems waste to just junk it so soon... And I'm hesitant to get another Acer when this one crapped out after just a year. Thanks for the eBay link, though! I was very pleased with the projector UNTIL this, so I might be persuaded...

senseabove If you are handy or ask the seller if there is a step by step guide. Here is the color wheel for the 5370: Fit for Acer H5370BD DLP Projector Replacement Color Wheel | eBay

Thanks for that link! I'd like to try to figure out whether it's the wheel or the bulb for sure before spending any money, and since the bulb won't even turn on, I'd think it's more likely the bulb? But the bulb had nowhere near the quoted 5000 hour lifespan, though. That'd be 10+ hours a day since I first received it!

Thanks for the suggestions! I really appreciate it! If anyone has any ideas for how to determine the cause of the problem with more specificity, that'd be lovely.

Can you feel the fan or hear it? I think there is a reset button, but can't remember how to do it since no problem with my 5380. You can always buy the plain bulb by itself on ebay there are videos on youtube how to fit it in the cartridge. Good to have an extra bulb anyway and if you get the 5380 you can you use the same bulb anyways, so no lost. Also check locally in Cali and see if there is a repair center that fixes PJ's and get a quote. I would not spend too much maybe 150. Where did you get the 5370? Amazon? If yes you may want to contact them and see what they tell you even if it's out of warranty.

Last edited:
I can hear something which I assume is the fan whirring up.

I've gotten in touch with the only two electronics repairs shops that seem to deal with projectors near me, both pretty out of the way, unfortunately. One wants $30 just to look at it, and it's an hour trip there, so I'm waiting to hear back from the second, closer one whether they'll take a look.

And yeah, I got it from Amazon, which doesn't seem to sell it anymore since the 5380 is available. So I don't think I'll have any luck with them.

Anyway, thanks for your help! If I end up getting it taken care of at the repair shop, I'll report back with what they tell me about why it failed.

Yeah get it checked out. 30 bucks is not bad and If it's the bulb, fan or color wheel you can get those on ebay and do it yourself if handy and take your time. I mean if you're gonna spend more 200 for everything might as well get the 5380 I linked and get a extended warranty. Also try to not use it 8-10 hrs in a row. If you can use it for maybe 6-7 hrs then shutdown for 30 min for a cool down. That's what I do as a precaution. Remember it generates lots of heat.

Fan: New Genuine Acer H5370BD Projector Fan Module 23 JG5J2 002 | eBay

Last edited:
Took it to another repair shop that was a bit more convenient to get to and that offered to check it out for free. They said it looks like the Color Wheel is shot, and it would cost close to $300 for them to order and replace it.

So... anyone have any idea how difficult a replacement this would be to do myself? Does it involve any soldering? Or would it be just a matter of getting to the wheel, unscrewing some things, and plugging in the new one? I'm relatively handyI've done low-level stuff like hard drive and RAM replacement and some slightly precision stuff like setting up turntables, but I've never done any soldering.

Took it to another repair shop that was a bit more convenient to get to and that offered to check it out for free. They said it looks like the Color Wheel is shot, and it would cost close to $300 for them to order and replace it.

So... anyone have any idea how difficult a replacement this would be to do myself? Does it involve any soldering? Or would it be just a matter of getting to the wheel, unscrewing some things, and plugging in the new one? I'm relatively handyI've done low-level stuff like hard drive and RAM replacement and some slightly precision stuff like setting up turntables, but I've never done any soldering.

There is a video on youtube on how to do it with a Acer PJ, but it's not the 5370. I'll look and see if I find it. You can also ask the ebay seller I linked earlier. I'm sure it will come with a step by step guide. Looks like your on a good path just take you time.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back