ACT (Atria Convergence Technologies) Cable TV in Bangalore

rocksterraghu

I currently have TSky HD and an additional SD connection for the room, but I am planning to get a Cable STB for SD channels in parallel to the main living room connection.

Major concerns:
1. My folks want more local channels whenever they visit and mom misses her regular programs
2. The SD of TSky is anyway terrible. Might as well settle for higher number of SD channels with same quality. Will retain TSky HD for HD channels, opt for a basic package and HD package (I have had HD for 1 year+, so they are charging me). Want to see how it goes with ACT and ask them for the additional room connection if it works out well.

Apparently, there is only ACT cable where I live. I have checked their website and they look alright. They have IP TV too, but that sounds expensive given that I already have a broadband connection. Any experience/reviews of ACT Cable TV? Thanks.

I am thinking of getting cable TV after a 10 year blackout ...

The local guy said he was from ACT and demanding 500/- installation charges for pulling cable from next building to my window. After that I have hire electrician to add wiring conduit (the white polycarbonate shell) to conceal the wiring running along the wall. His colleague did not know the quote and quoted 300/- separately. Now he is saying 300 + 200 for 1st month subscription payable in advance. And some figure for registration.

Who is speaking the truth? Is it normal to charge the monthly rent in advance?

Also they use a cisco STB. Is the PQ and pricing worthwhile?

-G0bble

I had paid 300 (one time) and 250pm to my cable guy. The STB was CISCO and I believe most of them use CISCO now(probably one of the reasons for CISCO to tank...another story). I was not sure nor was my guy sure as to whether it was Hathway or ACT or whatever..at times there was feeds from both....the channels kept changing:mad:....PQ was OK on my HD LCD 40.

Fed up with this have now changed to DTH atleast things are more consistent...

HTH in some way...

I'm not sure if this helps, but PQ at least SQ on VH1 and some other channels is much better than TSky HD. It may be just me, but I was simply fed up of quality of SD channels on TSky HD and the exorbitant prices for SD. The Cisco CTB is as good as any other that I've had (including STB and CTB), nothing exceptional.

I paid 400 bucks for installation including the box (Yes, I'm a sales person).

Anyway, here are a few pictures.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I will call him tomorrow and get it done. I use 29" CRT so PQ should not look bad like on a 40" HDTV for SD channels.

--G0bble

I am having 2nd thoughts about this cable wallah. He hasn't turned up to do an installation after multiple calls.

What other DTH choice do I have with (in order of priority)
1. Responsive STB with no time lag between channel switching and no lockups/giltches requiring reboots
2. Outstanding SD PQ
3. Superlative audio

Ok take that with a pinch of salt. :eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

ACT Digital TV charges extra subscription fees just like that and you are forced to pay as they disconnect the cable. And later they aren't even able give details of why the amount has been charged.

NOT GREAT!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back