Advice on Phono Stage (preamp)

Yes I have been told that rega planars pair well with Rega's preamp.
In general you get good synergy with same brand components in your chain.
Specifically with Rega, my personal experience is very good. My entire analog chain (apart from the speakers) is Rega and the sound quality is so good to my ears, upgraditis has been held at bay for 6 years and running:)

In general you get good synergy with same brand components in your chain.
Specifically with Rega, my personal experience is very good. My entire analog chain (apart from the speakers) is Rega and the sound quality is so good to my ears, upgraditis has been held at bay for 6 years and running:)

That is quite a feet !! 🤣🤣

A new design phono preamplifier which will use 12ax7 tubes and mosfets are currently under my plan. The mosfets will be used for high input and low output impedance coupling for the first and final stages. Yet to decide if I need to use an AC or DC heater for the first stage. Project starts around May this year.

I have used a few phono preamps in past,

- CNC Phono (still present as a backup) - 5-6k
- Zen Phono - 16k
- Pro-ject MM/MC Phono Classic - 18-20k
- EAR Phono Clone - 35k
- Pro-ject Tube Box DS2 Discrete MM/MC Pure-Tube - 90-95k
- EAR Phono - 1.25

Under 20k I would suggest Ifi Zen Phono then the CNC Phono, Zen adds a bit of depth and better control on bass
Around a lakh would pick EAR Phono then Project Tube Box DS2 (only with a SS Amp)

Would you recommend a valve based preamplifier only if the power stage in SS. Or it doesn't matter. What has been your experience on this. I am primarily going to use Tube Amplifier, hence asking

Would you recommend a valve based preamplifier only if the power stage in SS. Or it doesn't matter. What has been your experience on this. I am primarily going to use Tube Amplifier, hence asking
Don’t. Stay with SS if you want to mate it to tube amp else you will have hard time dialing your Sonics…

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back