Advice regarding budget RCA interconnect & speaker cable

partho

Hello,
Good morning again to all forum member friends. Presently I am in the process of upgrading my audio system. Finally my audio (stereo) set up is as following:

Speaker : Dynaudio audience 52 (I absolutely love it),
CD Player : Marantz CD 5001 (I like it),
Amplifier : Marantz PM 17 SA (pretty old but performance wise a killer amplifier & I simply fall in love with it).
Interconnect : MX brand.
Speaker wire : MX brand.

My budget is limited (2-3k approx.). Within this budget if it is possible to improve the performance of the system by changing interconnect and/or speaker wire I am interested for that. Kindly help me by posting your advice & experience in this regard. By the way I am from Chennai.

Regards,
Partho.

Hi,
Try (borrow from friends or dealers) some VDH,Kimber, Chord etc in your set up and see the sound u prefer. After your feedback can something be suggested.
Rgds

For your set up should do better than MX.
You try cables & IC form belden but you'll have to spend a bit more.
Cheers

Thank you Dinyaar & Neo for your reply. I've forgot to mention about my musical taste. I listen to Indian music only. Soft, classical, semi-classical, instrumental etc. So I am willing to buy cable & interconnect which will give me soft, detail, musical & rich sound. I have heard the names VDH, Kimber, Nordost, Belden etc. Where they are available in Chennai? How much they cost? What interconnect & speaker cable you people use? Kindly tell me your experience.

Regards,
Partho.

HI,
I am not sure i can imagine the sound of your set up. Good speakers and i have heard them on various occasions but never with a marantz amp. Your amp is supposed to be capable too.
If u go VDH then go with D102MkIII as the interlink for about 5K and match with CS 122 speaker cable at about 750/meter. Both these are silver plated copper,carbon coated and are hence called hybrids. Both these are oldies but i would say they are golden oldies.
If going kimber try the Kimber Timber as the IC @ 5/6K and the speaker cable for this should be 4VS at about 250/ft
You can go higher but that depends on the money one wants to shell out. I have limited experience with Nordorst. Heard in a few friends set ups but never in mine so wont comment.
Belden is a bulk manufacturer and supplies cables to tons of the so called cable cos. There is no doubting the quality. But i doubt u get ready made cables from belden. U will have to see the catalogue and choose what u need, buy connectors and assemble your own.
Lastly i dont know the chennai scene but in bbay all these cables are available used at lesser prices and we are all generally buying,selling or exchanging.
RGds

For your set up and music intrests, I would recommend following:

Analog Interconnect: Go for VDH D102MkIII and close the case. It is a balanced cable and quite popular to such an extent that Duplicate (fake) VDH D102MkIII are in the market! So buy from an authorised dealer only.

I am using the same cable since last three years and extremly happy about it , over the years I tried several cables but at the end always returned back to VDH D102MkIII ! I too enjoy lot of Indian Classical music and Jazz. You can get 1 meter length for about 6k. I also own NORDOST Blue Haven but it is towards brighter side and may not serve your purpose (and it is expensive too, about 10K).

If you really want to go First Class go for SILTECH 'LONDON '(10K) this will give you all that VDH D102MkIII can offer but much better performance, I have placed an order for Siltech PARIS (16k) (higher version of LONDON).

Speaker Cable: The recommendation of VDH C-122 is spot on. You can go for either C-122 or VDH GOLDWATER. I use VDH GOLDWATER. After trying several speaker cables in the past such as Chord, Solitone etc I decided not to replace my GOLDWATER cables.

One economy option is buy MAGINI Cables (it is bulk cable supplier to many major Cable manufactures, for about 2-3 K you can DYI a wonderful cable.

At the end , my suggestion would be:

Get some good wire but don't overspend on it. Don't go beyond 10% of your total system cost.

Hope this helps.

Regards

SUhas

Thank you Dinyaar & Neo for your reply. I've forgot to mention about my musical taste. I listen to Indian music only. Soft, classical, semi-classical, instrumental etc. So I am willing to buy cable & interconnect which will give me soft, detail, musical & rich sound. I have heard the names VDH, Kimber, Nordost, Belden etc. Where they are available in Chennai? How much they cost? What interconnect & speaker cable you people use? Kindly tell me your experience.

Regards,
Partho.

what guage are you using for speaker cable and also how long are your runs?

Hello,
Good morning again to all forum member friends. Presently I am in the process of upgrading my audio system. Finally my audio (stereo) set up is as following:

Speaker : Dynaudio audience 52 (I absolutely love it),
CD Player : Marantz CD 5001 (I like it),
Amplifier : Marantz PM 17 SA (pretty old but performance wise a killer amplifier & I simply fall in love with it).
Interconnect : MX brand.
Speaker wire : MX brand.

My budget is limited (2-3k approx.). Within this budget if it is possible to improve the performance of the system by changing interconnect and/or speaker wire I am interested for that. Kindly help me by posting your advice & experience in this regard. By the way I am from Chennai.

Regards,
Partho.

Analog Interconnect: Go for VDH D102MkIII and close the case. It is a balanced cable and quite popular to such an extent that Duplicate (fake) VDH D102MkIII are in the market! So buy from an authorised dealer only.

I am using the same cable since last three years and extremly happy about it , over the years I tried several cables but at the end always returned back to VDH D102MkIII ! I too enjoy lot of Indian Classical music and Jazz. You can get 1 meter length for about 6k. I also own NORDOST Blue Haven but it is towards brighter side and may not serve your purpose (and it is expensive too, about 10K).

If you really want to go First Class go for SILTECH 'LONDON '(10K) this will give you all that VDH D102MkIII can offer but much better performance, I have placed an order for Siltech PARIS (16k) (higher version of LONDON).

Speaker Cable: The recommendation of VDH C-122 is spot on. You can go for either C-122 or VDH GOLDWATER. I use VDH GOLDWATER. After trying several speaker cables in the past such as Chord, Solitone etc I decided not to replace my GOLDWATER cables.

One economy option is buy MAGINI Cables (it is bulk cable supplier to many major Cable manufactures, for about 2-3 K you can DYI a wonderful cable.

At the end , my suggestion would be:

Get some good wire but don't overspend on it. Don't go beyond 10% of your total system cost.

Hope this helps.

Regards

SUhas

AAAAAAAAAAAH finally someone who agrees with me on the VDH.
I have always felt the VDH cables are the best constructed cables and am glad u are happy with them too.
Suhas if u like the D102 (didnt know there was a duplicate) please try and get 'The Jubilee hybrid'. Its a limited edition cable and available used abroad. I now have only one and its very very nice. The new MRP here is ridiculous. It will retain value and offer a lifetime of performance. The cables that i own of the brand are the "First ultimate', Jubilee Hybrid, D102MKIII. The CS 122 is another evergreen product and i preferred it to the similarly priced goldwater.
Rgds

I am using the same cable since last three years and extremly happy about it , over the years I tried several cables but at the end always returned back to VDH D102MkIII ! I too enjoy lot of Indian Classical music and Jazz. You can get 1 meter length for about 6k.

Hi Suhas, where do you get these at 6K? Can you kindly let me know a contact number? Do they ship to Kolkata? Everything is so expensive here in Kolkata. Dinyaar nearly fainted hearing that I bought my VDH Clearwater speaker cable at Rs600/m after a lot of negotiations (and that too along with my CDP purchase).

Hey Asit,
Stop spending on cables at the moment. Get the set up complete.
How long an IC do u require? If a 0.6 will do i will give u one as i have little over a meter of D102Mk III and can make a pair in ten minutes. Take it as a gift (but only after u buy a good amp:p:p)
Rgds

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, sure , I will search for the Jubilee. Since Cadence stopped doing VDH , it is now becoming increasing difficult to find VDH cables.

I got GOLDWater speaker cable which is nothing but a specialled coated version of CS-122 , more suitable for damp and salty air , like Mumbai.

Regardless of what the community says, VDH is quite affordable and VFM product , more balanced and long lasting.

I also suggest here to try SILTECH , I have ordered PARIS (but will keep VDH D102MKIII) . Nice cable, very rich and clean and detailed sound , good for soft music such as Indian Classical, Jazz etc.

Regards

SUhas

AAAAAAAAAAAH finally someone who agrees with me on the VDH.
I have always felt the VDH cables are the best constructed cables and am glad u are happy with them too.
Suhas if u like the D102 (didnt know there was a duplicate) please try and get 'The Jubilee hybrid'. Its a limited edition cable and available used abroad. I now have only one and its very very nice. The new MRP here is ridiculous. It will retain value and offer a lifetime of performance. The cables that i own of the brand are the "First ultimate', Jubilee Hybrid, D102MKIII. The CS 122 is another evergreen product and i preferred it to the similarly priced goldwater.
Rgds

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, sure , I will search for the Jubilee. Since Cadence stopped doing VDH , it is now becoming increasing difficult to find VDH cables.

I got GOLDWater speaker cable which is nothing but a specialled coated version of CS-122 , more suitable for damp and salty air , like Mumbai.

Regardless of what the community says, VDH is quite affordable and VFM product , more balanced and long lasting.

I also suggest here to try SILTECH , I have ordered PARIS (but will keep VDH D102MKIII) . Nice cable, very rich and clean and detailed sound , good for soft music such as Indian Classical, Jazz etc.

Regards

SUhas

No Suhas the Goldwater is the clear water plus additional coating to prevent corrosion, the CS 122 is a Hybrid and has a carbon coating.
Anyway these things are trivial.
If u need VDH , Marbin colah 9819257839 is the importer. U should be able to get it at international retail price as mentioned on their website.
I will try and hear the siltech, thanks.
Rgds

Hey Asit,
Stop spending on cables at the moment. Get the set up complete.
How long an IC do u require? If a 0.6 will do i will give u one as i have little over a meter of D102Mk III and can make a pair in ten minutes. Take it as a gift (but only after u buy a good amp:p:p)
Rgds

Simply great! Please keep it for me. I accept your terms, that is, only after my amp ugrade. Great gesture, I must say.:D
But I am ready to pay for it.

Last edited:
So you guys purchase the cables separately and solder the connectors?

Are the local Neuterik connectors good enough? I would like to make a 6' *(inches) cable for my Pre-amp<>Main-in section.

Regards

Are the local Neuterik connectors good enough? I would like to make a 6' *(inches) cable for my Pre-amp<>Main-in section.

Regards

Hi Gobble,
Yes Neutrik makes some good connectors. MX too has one connector that is good and costs about 200/pair. Yes u buy cable and solder the connector. Get some local electronics repairman with decent soldering skills to do it for u as u dont want to short the cable(ground touching hot line).
Gobble ask around and speak to some of the other forum members(soundsgreat,hifipal4all, ROC) and they will surely guide u.
See gobble all these Ics cost quite a bit if u buy a 'packed' pre terminated pair. Will give u an example of the same D102. I think the MRP is about 8500/- for a 1 meter pair. Now u can buy the cable from the same distributor @ about 5K buy 4 connectors (neutrik for example) for Rs 400 and pay Rs 100 to someone to make it. The Ic costs u 5500/- Of course u dont get VDh connectors but thats ok as long as its made properly and checked (with a meter preferably)
Rgds

Last edited:

Regards

For small scale DIY as a few cables, the pricing diff for quality cables is not much. You might as well buy a good one from bluejeans or heartland and not worry

IMO profi is one of the best rca connetors availabe easily in India. But it is arnd Rs 700-800.

Blue jeans is mostly all belden as far as i know.
& Most VDH cables have neutrik connectors.

For spk cables the most value for money cable that i've tried are belden. I've tried them(12 gauge 8477) against a few entry level Kimbers( 4pr/4vs) & VDH( don't remember the model) on my dynaudio/nad set up.
Although they were better but not by a big margin to advise a upgrade.

You can use them with out any connectors & just get the ends silver soldered.
The appox price of belden is as under.
12 gauge 8477-250/mt
14 gauge 8473-185/mt
16 gauge 8471-125/mt

Thanks all

I think procuring a 1.5mtr VDH D102mkIII cable and soldering it will be more cost effective as I only need one 6' x2 for pre-out<>main-in + approx 24' x2 for CDP<>Amp. No point paying for extra cable length between pre-out<>main-in with a ready made one mtr long cable.

Cheers

As for the speaker cable, I will do an incremental upgrade after I listen to the ICs for a month. That will allow my ear to understand how much difference each cable component makes.

Regards

Thank you all for your replies. Can you tell me at Chennai where I'll get VDH & Belden products officially. In Chennai QED is available. How are QED products?
Regards,
Partho.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back