Advice regarding Speakers and AV Receivers

mkm

I am willing build a 5.1 HT system for my living room (16 X 12 feet). Usage will be around 50 % for Movies and 50% for music. My budget is around 80k which can be stretched upto max 90000. I have auditioned some speakers. PRO FX(Kolkata) suggest me to go for -
Polk Tsi300 - 19000/-(pair)
Polk TSi100 - 10000/-(pair)
Polk CS10 - 9000/-
Polk PSW 110 - 12000/-
with DENON 1611 AV receiver.
I have listened the above package. But not satisfied, specially in the bass department. bass sounded boomy. Before that I have also auditioned Sonodyne Sonus series with SW Roar 210, and Wharf 10.4. I liked the SONUS 2605 Flr Stds but didnt like the Sonus center, rears and wharf 10.4. May be Wharf 10.5 will be better. SKS traders quoted 10.4 - 32000/- and 10.5 - 40000/-.
Considering my budget I have decided to Go for
Sonodyne SONUS 2605 V2 FS- 24000/-
Polk Tsi CS10 (center)
Polk TSi100 (BS)
Wharf SW150 or other.
And for AV Receiver please suggest me whether I should go for Denon 1611 or other in the same price range. Also give your opinion regarding the above mentioned speaker package.
I have posted a thread like this but as it was not very much clear and also the title was wrong, I am posting this thread.

I am willing build a 5.1 HT system for my living room (16 X 12 feet). Usage will be around 50 % for Movies and 50% for music. My budget is around 80k which can be stretched upto max 90000. I have auditioned some speakers. PRO FX(Kolkata) suggest me to go for -
Polk Tsi300 - 19000/-(pair)
Polk TSi100 - 10000/-(pair)
Polk CS10 - 9000/-
Polk PSW 110 - 12000/-
with DENON 1611 AV receiver.
I have listened the above package. But not satisfied, specially in the bass department. bass sounded boomy. Before that I have also auditioned Sonodyne Sonus series with SW Roar 210, and Wharf 10.4. I liked the SONUS 2605 Flr Stds but didnt like the Sonus center, rears and wharf 10.4. May be Wharf 10.5 will be better. SKS traders quoted 10.4 - 32000/- and 10.5 - 40000/-.
Considering my budget I have decided to Go for
Sonodyne SONUS 2605 V2 FS- 24000/-
Polk Tsi CS10 (center)
Polk TSi100 (BS)
Wharf SW150 or other.
And for AV Receiver please suggest me whether I should go for Denon 1611 or other in the same price range. Also give your opinion regarding the above mentioned speaker package.
I have posted a thread like this but as it was not very much clear and also the title was wrong, I am posting this thread.

Could you tell us what u didn't like about Sonus Center channel & Surrounds.

The SONUS center speaker sound was not so clear to me. After doing some research in this forum I realized that center speaker has an important role on HT system. During my audition I felt the voice was not so clear (they run Gladiator on Pioneer DVDP). Also the SONUS REARs dont have any bass at all. Only I could hear some tiny dialogues and sound of swords.
But during audition in PRO FX, Polk Tsi100 sounded better in rear.
But this may be due to improper set up. I am not an expert in this field. Only the experts in this forum can enlighten it.

The SONUS center speaker sound was not so clear to me. After doing some research in this forum I realized that center speaker has an important role on HT system. During my audition I felt the voice was not so clear (they run Gladiator on Pioneer DVDP). Also the SONUS REARs dont have any bass at all. Only I could hear some tiny dialogues and sound of swords.
But during audition in PRO FX, Polk Tsi100 sounded better in rear.
But this may be due to improper set up. I am not an expert in this field. Only the experts in this forum can enlighten it.

Try it again with your own set of DVD's and check if feel the difference. In my opinion, Sonus surrounds are Dipole's and are far more better than any speaker @ the price point (9K). Dipole's from other manufacturer's cost upwards of 20K.

I recommend you do an other audition and then decide. As far as i know, there Sonus range is the most impressive range excluding Avant. I haven't heard them yet.

mkm,

You have a pretty decent budget for HT setup . Do not settle after auditioning one brand... Take some more time audition other brands that are available near your location.... I'd say either choose a HT package with receiver and 5.1 speakers . Or slowly build the setup step by step it may take few months but trust me you wont regret it..........

Just my 2 paisaaaa :rolleyes:

Kittu

I also suggest that you should spend some time with a friend whose system you like. Listen to your favourite albums on his system to form a reference in your mind. Even better, get him to come along. Also if the dealer allows you to audition your shortlist in your home that would be even better.

Try it again with your own set of DVD's and check if feel the difference. In my opinion, Sonus surrounds are Dipole's and are far more better than any speaker @ the price point (9K). Dipole's from other manufacturer's cost upwards of 20K.

I recommend you do an other audition and then decide. As far as i know, there Sonus range is the most impressive range excluding Avant. I haven't heard them yet.

Thanks 'elangoas', for reply.
Actually I live near durgapur, which is far away from Kolkata. So frequent audition is not possible.
Sonodyne people connect the Sonus speakers with YAMAHA RX- V465 AV receiver. When they play EAGLEs live concert with sonus FS only, it was sounded really impressive. Very clean and not very forward sound. But when they connect 5.1 with that receiver, it was not that impressive.
Anyway Ill again try to audition with my own DVD.
Now please suggest me regarding other speakers and AV receivers within this budget.

mkm,

You have a pretty decent budget for HT setup . Do not settle after auditioning one brand... Take some more time audition other brands that are available near your location.... I'd say either choose a HT package with receiver and 5.1 speakers . Or slowly build the setup step by step it may take few months but trust me you wont regret it..........

Just my 2 paisaaaa :rolleyes:

Kittu

Thanks Kittu1977 for your suggestion.
Ill try to audition other brands also, but it will take time as I live away from Kolkata.
I can also build my set up step by step. But the budget can not be that much high. Want your suggestion on that also.

members, please reply.
I need your valuable suggestions. I have already told that I dont have much idea about HT system.
Suggest me whether I should build it step by step or can have a good system within my budget?

I would say take some more time audition different brands . Listen to stereo setups and 5.1 setups . If you like a HT package may be you can go in one shot.. Or if you like bookshelf / FS speakers then you can start building one by one. I know this is not a clear answer to your question but you have a longway to go before you can decide. ;)

mkm,
First of all please note that Home Theatre systems are for 'Home Theatres' and not for Living (Media) rooms.
There are many factors that can bring you a lively, theatre like atmosphere into your home theatre -

- The room you choose to set up your home theatre
- The type equipment you need for that room
- The floor of your room
- The ceiling of your room
- Wall condition of your room
- Lighting of your room
- Your seating & other furniture inside the room

If your room symmetry is not right... you will not get the optimum performance..even if you buy the most popular and costliest brand of equipments.

Pls check this for more info:
Home Theatre

HiFi World - Total Digital Solutions

I have gone through the thread. But MARANTZ availability in Kolkata is really poor.
Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, cambridge audio are easily available.

marantz is good indeed but there r lots of service problems in india. a stereo amp can be repaired but AVRs are very critical. digital marants parts in india is close to nowhere.

mkm,
First of all please note that Home Theatre systems are for 'Home Theatres' and not for Living (Media) rooms.
There are many factors that can bring you a lively, theatre like atmosphere into your home theatre -

- The room you choose to set up your home theatre
- The type equipment you need for that room
- The floor of your room
- The ceiling of your room
- Wall condition of your room
- Lighting of your room
- Your seating & other furniture inside the room

If your room symmetry is not right... you will not get the optimum performance..even if you buy the most popular and costliest brand of equipments.

Rajkochi,
Presently I am living in company provided flat. So I cant do anything change in wall, ceiling and symmetry of any room. Living room dimension I have already given. Some furnitures like sofa, dining table are there. In glass windows thick long curtains are provided.
I need optimised sound keeping these factors. Also everybody cant provide costly acoustic material in his home.
So plese suggest about good receivers and speakers which will perform best considering the mentioned factors.

Yesterday I have auditioned some speakers like PSB alpha T1, Klipsch synergy F20 and Elac tower in PROMISES, Shakespeare Sarani. They played rolling stone and eagles with NAD amp(dont know the model) and panasonic cd player.
PSB sound i felt a little mellow than Klipsch. But the tonal clarity was better in Klipsch. Elac FS 127 was more balanced i felt. But the clarity in low and mid range was best in klipsch.
But they surprises me with the price they are asking, coz I thought these brands very costly brands.
They are asking Rs. 31000/- for Klipsch synergy F20, 30000/- for PSB alpha T1 and 32000/- for Elac FS 127. All the prices are without discount.
So guys please suggest me wheather I sould go for any of these speakers, other wise I have almost decided to go for Sonodyne Sonus V2 2605 tower.

Yesterday I have auditioned some speakers like PSB alpha T1, Klipsch synergy F20 and Elac tower in PROMISES, Shakespeare Sarani. They played rolling stone and eagles with NAD amp(dont know the model) and panasonic cd player.
PSB sound i felt a little mellow than Klipsch. But the tonal clarity was better in Klipsch. Elac FS 127 was more balanced i felt. But the clarity in low and mid range was best in klipsch.
But they surprises me with the price they are asking, coz I thought these brands very costly brands.
They are asking Rs. 31000/- for Klipsch synergy F20, 30000/- for PSB alpha T1 and 32000/- for Elac FS 127. All the prices are without discount.
So guys please suggest me wheather I sould go for any of these speakers, other wise I have almost decided to go for Sonodyne Sonus V2 2605 tower.

What Synergy F20's for 30k :eek: go for these without a doubt... I am quoted 43 for the same in bangalore :mad: . Are those old demo pieces or brandnew.. :rolleyes:

Without a doubt ... the F20.

Most Klipsch speakers sell at double the US prices. The 30 k makes it 1.5 times ... so, a very good price too. Don't need to think of anything else.

Hi, can you please tell me where in kolkata i can audition speakers and home theatres all at one place...thanks in advance....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back