Ahuja subwoofer

koushik

Hi Guys,

I have been a quiet member of this forum for some time now. Appreciate the kinda help you provide to each other.

I am looking to buy an affordable subwoofer to hook with my existing system -
1. Sonodyne SIA 102 R
2. Sonodyne Sonus 306A

I am thinking about Ahuja SWX-200P. What is the cost of this and how is it in terms of sound quality? Can anybody put some light on that please?

Thanks in anticipation.
Koushik.

The cost of Ahuja sub is about 10.5k. Looks well built. Weighs some 25kg. Never heard the sound though.
It does not have speaker level input. Has line level input only.

when your are owing sonodyne, why not look into their subs, what is the particular reason for choosing ahuja ?

Guys I final time, if I go for DIY, which driver you think will be better
Bolton or Ahuja 12"?

I know Bolton is better drivers but that Ahuja provides full specs with them.

You can suggest me any other manufacturer considering two things -
1. Availability @ Kolkata
2. Price ( I can spend Rs.1200 - Rs.1500 for the driver)

12" drivers for subwoofers will not be so cheap.
I know at least about Ahuja. It will be 2500+ for decent driver.
I am building open baffles using Ahuja speakers .That is when I had inquired a lot about various Ahuja drivers. I am using full ranger, 12" which I got for Rs 1450 each.

Agree with Jaudere, for that price you will be hard pressed to buy any new 12 inch driver.

What makes you think Bolton is better than Ahuja? I'm not trying to stir up a controversy, since I haven't used either of them.

I just had that feeling as Bolton is legendary name for speakers. I will be happy if Ahuja turns to be the better as their specs are available.

I can extend my budget that much (Rs. 2500) for music :)

Thanx everybody for your time n help.

I thought Bolton had closed doors?

I know that the Senior Mr. Monga was the driving force behind that company and after he passed on, there was a bit of a struggle..

are they still in business? with the same owners?

I think Ahuja is not so popular in hi fi world because it is projected mainly as a 'public address audio' company (and it is public address audio company indeed). My interest in professional audio for home use increased when I listened to some speakers at some events and used a chinese active mixer at home for few months.

Among indian companies, I found Ahuja to be one of the few companies which gives most of the specs for speakers that a DIYer will need. (Iwai also gives it but not for all speakers. I had their full ranger, but the Qts was not given which was important for me).

So although ahuja is considered to be inferior to many of the hi-fi products, I think it is worth giving a try, especially the speaker drivers and the readymade subwoofer. The only reason why I have not bought that sub is I am still not sure whether I need one. If I decide, this sub will be top on my list even if there are no reviews or possibility of audition. Currently i am using ahuja full ranger to make new open baffles. Results were good with test baffles. Now the final baffles are ready and i will put speakers on them tonight.

By the way for high frequ I am using another very cheap piezo tweeter 'Showa'. These are the tweeters that I see ubiquitously in cheap speakers. The capacitor I am using is 4uf MPP Capacitor used in fans.
So I am trying a different approach for home hifi(now people may argue whether to call it hifi or no but thats a different issue)

The open baffles will be used purely for stereo music.
I already have thread about my latest venture in DIY Section. You may visit that and can chip in with suggestions.

@Jaudere: Great! I will go through the thread.

Guys, what type of crossover do you recommend for sealed enclosure subwoofer? 1st order, 2nd order or ..?

Do you have any chart for the value of L & C?

My main floorstander delivers down to 45Hz ( and does it quite well ) ... but I really need below that.

Google is your best friend. A lot of charts are available for 2,4,8 ohm speakers.
One of the sites which i used was
the12volt.com

It is for car audio. However the basic principles and cap-inductor values remain same.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back