Airplay connectivity problems

Love4sound

I used to connect my iPhone 7 using airplay and listen to music. Recently I am unable to connect and receive an error message as unable to connect to Denon 2400. I have done avr reset and also changed my mobile recently to iPhone XR. In airplay the Denon avr is detected but not connecting . Firmware up to date in both mobile and avr

I used to face a similar issue when my AVR was on wifi 2.4ghz
Switched it to the 5ghz channel and all's been well since

Ok. But it worked flawlessly for months suddenly stopped working. Will try upgrading my router.
Wait, if your AVR has an ethernet port, try testing with cable first to see if it resolves the issue
if not, try testing the AVR close to the router.
2,4ghz band has too much interference and limited bandwidth - thus even with high SnR ratios (i.e. strong signal) , there are a lot of packet drops which could be causing an initial failure to connect

Wait, if your AVR has an ethernet port, try testing with cable first to see if it resolves the issue
if not, try testing the AVR close to the router.
2,4ghz band has too much interference and limited bandwidth - thus even with high SnR ratios (i.e. strong signal) , there are a lot of packet drops which could be causing an initial failure to connect
Yeah will try lan first

Glad to hear.
That also indicates the band you are on is saturated /crowded
At the very least, scan and find a less crowded 2.4 band so that your other WiFi devices work properly (including your airplay source)
But Preferably , switch to 5ghz

Dam now again same problem. I am just going to give up
Hey, I hope your problems are solved.
Just thought it is worth letting you know that I was at a friend's place yesterday who had similar issues with a Denon and airplay

When I checked his network, I realised that multicast packets are being dropped on the LAN
The problem was fully solved by enabling the IGMP proxy (also called multicast proxy on some routers) setting on his router

Many old routers are unable to manage multicast packets properly on the LAN side - enabling the multicast proxy acts as a band-aid fix

Hey, I hope your problems are solved.
Just thought it is worth letting you know that I was at a friend's place yesterday who had similar issues with a Denon and airplay

When I checked his network, I realised that multicast packets are being dropped on the LAN
The problem was fully solved by enabling the IGMP proxy (also called multicast proxy on some routers) setting on his router

Many old routers are unable to manage multicast packets properly on the LAN side - enabling the multicast proxy acts as a band-aid fix
Ty will try this setting and see if it works. I use the below router

Ty will try this setting and see if it works. I use the below router

You have a good end-user-computing setup it seems- please (I implore you :) ) , please switch to a better router and don't cripple them all with that device
That thing is just not adequate for the kind of demand you are placing on it.

You have a good end-user-computing setup it seems- please (I implore you :) ) , please switch to a better router and don't cripple them all with that device
That thing is just not adequate for the kind of demand you are placing on it.
Well apart from airplay issues i do not have any problems. Even while gaming the ping is always at 1-4 ms. All streaming devices are also fast enough. Netflix, prime YouTube all stream without buffering and loading the video at 1080p is at instant and max delay of 1-3 seconds.Download speeds are at constant 10 mb/s. Yes there are better routers. This model I got it when I was using Yht 299 wen router was just required for browsing and gaming.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi, I'm using TP-Link Archer C6 for the past 2 months. It is future proof as it is a gigabit router, upto 1000 Mbps on all lan ports. Excellent VFM product. I have BSNL FTTH connection 50 Mbps. Connected with 4K TV, android MI box and 3 mobiles. Getting full 48-50 Mbps on 5GHz and 42-45 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz covering good range. You can blindly go for Archer C6. Cheers.

Hi, I'm using TP-Link Archer C6 for the past 2 months. It is future proof as it is a gigabit router, upto 1000 Mbps on all lan ports. Excellent VFM product. I have BSNL FTTH connection 50 Mbps. Connected with 4K TV, android MI box and 3 mobiles. Getting full 48-50 Mbps on 5GHz and 42-45 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz covering good range. You can blindly go for Archer C6. Cheers.
Ok Ty. Seems like you have everything except for speakers going by your signature :D

I shortlisted these two models. TP-Link Archer C6 AC1200 being nearly 2K less then the C7. Are they any good?. I use wifi only for mobile. All the devices are connected in Lan. So any Gigabit router should do right?

Archer C7
I shortlisted these two models. TP-Link Archer C6 AC1200 being nearly 2K less then the C7. Are they any good?. I use wifi only for mobile. All the devices are connected in Lan. So any Gigabit router should do right?

I have experience with the c7 and it was quite a stable router
The C6 appears very similar but a router is a one time small expense so not sure it it is worth compromising .

Having said that, i would assume you would keep adding more things over your network over the coming few years .
Take a look at something like the R7000P if you want to be future proof for the next several years.
I used a R7000 for several years with devices that grew from 15-20 to 50+

I moved to a mesh setup (RBK50) later because I needed full speeds over two floors but the r7000p would still be a great choice for a single floor and will last you many years

Archer C7

I have experience with the c7 and it was quite a stable router
The C6 appears very similar but a router is a one time small expense so not sure it it is worth compromising .

Having said that, i would assume you would keep adding more things over your network over the coming few years .
Take a look at something like the R7000P if you want to be future proof for the next several years.
I used a R7000 for several years with devices that grew from 15-20 to 50+

I moved to a mesh setup (RBK50) later because I needed full speeds over two floors but the r7000p would still be a great choice for a single floor and will last you many years
Omg 50? lol i am sure for me it wont be that much. For now i use a pc,blu ray player,shield and avr connected in the network. I only use Lan connection for all the devices except for my mobile and avr. So at a max i will have 7-8 devices connected and only 3-4 devices utilizing the network at the same time. So dont you thing c6 will offer enough bandwith and more then sufficient? Any ways i have ordered the c6 hope it fixes the airplay issues.

Last edited:
Omg 50? lol i am sure for me it wont be that much. For now i use a pc,blu ray player,shield and avr connected in the network. I only use Lan connection for all the devices except for my mobile and avr. So at a max i will have 7-8 devices connected and only 3-4 devices utilizing the network at the same time. So dont you thing c6 will offer enough bandwith and more then sufficient? Any ways i have ordered the c6 hope it fixes the airplay issues.
Should be adequate for 7-8 easily.
It’s just that this number starts adding up very quickly especially if you ever get into home automation.
But of course you can upgrade if and then.
Hopefully the improved Wan-lan routing performance on your new router helps with your other streaming distortion issue as well :)

Should be adequate for 7-8 easily.
It’s just that this number starts adding up very quickly especially if you ever get into home automation.
But of course you can upgrade if and then.
Hopefully the improved Wan-lan routing performance on your new router helps with your other streaming distortion issue as well :)
well i am not much concerned about netflix or prime cause i never use them in my HT but if its sorted out just a bonus. I am just upgrading to a Gigabyte router just for the sake of your suggestion as i haven't faced any network slowness issue as mentioned in my previous comment. The c6 costed 2.7k which is a very good price for a gigabyte router so no harm in getting it.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back