AirTel Digital TV or Videocon D2H? Please input your suggestions.

ithehappy

Hello guys, I live in Kolkata and I want to take a DTH connection, which will be used on my 720P 26" Bravia TV. I have read some forum comments but I am a little confused. I am toggling between AirTel Digital TV and Videocon D2H. Because I won't pay Tata Sky's HD access fee, which seems ridiculous to me. And Dish TV, leave it.
Anyway I mainly watch sports, Football, La Liga and EPL and rare cricket, English business channels, English movie channels and Bengali channels for my parents. So basically I need a lot of channels. So going for those mega packs are my only option. You see with Videcon D2H if I just pay 480 odd rupees I will get all the channels, including 21 HD channels, with AirTel I will have to pay 605 rupees (Ultra pack+HD channel pack), for 17 HD channels and 219 SD channels. Whereas in D2H I will get 150+ more SD channels and 4 extra HD channel. Now the concern is Picture Quality, I will not compromise with PQ by any means and I have read a lot of comments saying that AirTel Digital TV's PQ is way better than Videcon's D2H, especially for HD channels? Is this statement true? I don't want to watch 21 over-cropped HD channels, watching less channels of better quality will be my thing. I have heard that AirTel CC sucks beyond thinking but I think I can live with that because I don't think I will be needing them very often, if ever. I know D2H users will say D2H is better and vice-versa but please be unbiased for a moment.
I would really appreciate some opinions from some experts in this field. Thanks.

I shifted from Airtel HD to D2h recently after my set top box died.

Airtle HD is definitely better in PQ compared to D2H. Also the signal is not lost unless its heavily overcast or there is heavy rain unlike D2H where signal is list even with light showers.

The plus side of D2H - a choice of channels at low cost, good support. You get Dolby digital through HDMI where as Airtel needs a separate coaxial connection

Last edited:
Hello guys, I live in Kolkata and I want to take a DTH connection, which will be used on my 720P 26" Bravia TV. I have read some forum comments but I am a little confused. I am toggling between AirTel Digital TV and Videocon D2H. Because I won't pay Tata Sky's HD access fee, which seems ridiculous to me. And Dish TV, leave it.
Anyway I mainly watch sports, Football, La Liga and EPL and rare cricket, English business channels, English movie channels and Bengali channels for my parents. So basically I need a lot of channels. So going for those mega packs are my only option. You see with Videcon D2H if I just pay 480 odd rupees I will get all the channels, including 21 HD channels, with AirTel I will have to pay 605 rupees (Ultra pack+HD channel pack), for 17 HD channels and 219 SD channels. Whereas in D2H I will get 150+ more SD channels and 4 extra HD channel. Now the concern is Picture Quality, I will not compromise with PQ by any means and I have read a lot of comments saying that AirTel Digital TV's PQ is way better than Videcon's D2H, especially for HD channels? Is this statement true? I don't want to watch 21 over-cropped HD channels, watching less channels of better quality will be my thing. I have heard that AirTel CC sucks beyond thinking but I think I can live with that because I don't think I will be needing them very often, if ever. I know D2H users will say D2H is better and vice-versa but please be unbiased for a moment.
I would really appreciate some opinions from some experts in this field. Thanks.

Shft to Videocon d2h with eyes closed, the pcture quality is good plus videocon d2h sound quality is best amongst all as they don't tamper with the original sound for HD chs while Tata Sky and airtel provide fake dolby digtal on many channels.

Don't think twice, buy a Videocon d2h connection but yes u will have to live with little slow epg till the time they sort out this issue, rest all is great

I shifted from Airtel HD to D2h recently after my set top box died.

Airtle HD is definitely better in PQ compared to D2H. Also the signal is not lost unless its heavily overcast or there is heavy rain unlike D2H where signal is list even with light showers.

The plus side of D2H - a choice of channels at low cost, good support. You get Dolby digital through HDMI where as Airtel needs a separate coaxial connection
Thanks for your input sir. When you say PQ is better, could you tell me how much? For HD channels especially? And I've already seen that connection interruption problem of D2H even in lightest weather problem, a huge negative for me.
Shft to Videocon d2h with eyes closed, the pcture quality is good plus videocon d2h sound quality is best amongst all as they don't tamper with the original sound for HD chs while Tata Sky and airtel provide fake dolby digtal on many channels.

Don't think twice, buy a Videocon d2h connection but yes u will have to live with little slow epg till the time they sort out this issue, rest all is great
Hmm, thanks, there's nothing to shift, I am taking a new connection! If your username is same then weren't you the guy who said D2H's PQ is way better than ADTV, in several forums? It's good that you're a fan of D2H but I don't want to be a fan of anything, so thanks. I'm taking AirTel knowing there's no better option at that cost, also knowing how much their CC sucks. About audio output, do I really need to care? I use tv's crappy speakers, I don't have any 5.1 speaker system attached with the TV, so I don't think audio output will matter to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input sir. When you say PQ is better, could you tell me how much? For HD channels especially? And I've already seen that connection interruption problem of D2H even in lightest weather problem, a huge negative for me.

Hmm, thanks, there's nothing to shift, I am taking a new connection! If your username is same then weren't you the guy who said D2H's PQ is way better than ADTV, in several forums? It's good that you're a fan of D2H but I don't want to be a fan of anything, so thanks. I'm taking AirTel knowing there's no better option at that cost, also knowing how much their CC sucks. About audio output, do I really need to care? I use tv's crappy speakers, I don't have any 5.1 speaker system attached with the TV, so I don't think audio output will matter to me.

It seems you have already decided on Airtel... in which case why even open a thread asking people to compare between Airtel and Videocon and then beat on the Videocon supporters?

Go ahead with Airtel and then come back a little later cribbing about how they swindled and scammed you out of your hard earned money...

Itseem seems you have already decided on Airtel... in which case why even open a thread asking people to compare between Airtel and Videocon and then beat on the Videocon supporters?

Go ahead with Airtel and then come back a little later cribbing about how they swindled and scammed you out of your hard earned money...
It seems wrong to you then. I just made my mind up, after the feedback from the first user. And thanks for wishing me bad luck, time will tell who will crib ;)
And that guy, dino (if he's the same here), I've seen that guy everywhere, Indiadth, Dreamdth etc etc, he always said D2H is way better than ADTV, then got banned! So no, quite frankly I don't believe him, thanks to him though that he uses same username, otherwise I'd not be able to know who is who.

I have stated the truth in all forums, if u like it then well enough otherwise u r free to make ur choice bro.

I only present facts, i am not a fan of any dth. Its just that there are many ardent fans of various dth who spread such baseless things aginst me time n again.

I am no one to tell u or others what to do, ii just gave u my honest suggestion, ultimate verdict is for u to make.

Cheers!

No offence, but I think its kinda funny you make such a big deal about quality when you'll be watching TV on a 26" 720p screen with "crappy" tv speakers to begin with. :)

Anyways, If you want another honest opinion, I don't have any experience with airtel but I do own tata sky and Videocon at home. Its hard for me to find a difference in the PQ even on a 65" led. Videocon looks a hair better than tata sky but that's about it. I haven't seen airtel in person but I doubt the difference will be anything noticeable on a 26" screen or even a bigger screen unless you do a side by side comparison. My advice here would be to go with Videocon as its a lot cheaper with a lot more channels than airtel. Best way to go about it will be to get a demo for both. Shouldn't be too difficult as you'll probably find one or the other in your friends or relatives homes. Or you can go to tv showrooms which have dth running to show off the screens and check the quality there. Just don't tell them you're looking for PQ of the dth providers instead of the TVs available there.

Good luck with whatever you get. Go for a Dvr instead of a simple HD box if you can afford it. It's well worth the extra cost.

I felt the PQ difference immediately on switching on NGC HD and Ten HD - Airtel is better in this aspect compared to D2H. However for SD channels there is no difference. BTW how big is your screen? The PQ difference may not be apparent in smaller screens like 32 ". Unfortunately I could not do a comparison by switching between the two service providers as my airtel STB became faulty.

No offence, but I think its kinda funny you make such a big deal about quality when you'll be watching TV on a 26" 720p screen with "crappy" tv speakers to begin with. :)

Anyways, If you want another honest opinion, I don't have any experience with airtel but I do own tata sky and Videocon at home. Its hard for me to find a difference in the PQ even on a 65" led. Videocon looks a hair better than tata sky but that's about it. I haven't seen airtel in person but I doubt the difference will be anything noticeable on a 26" screen or even a bigger screen unless you do a side by side comparison. My advice here would be to go with Videocon as its a lot cheaper with a lot more channels than airtel. Best way to go about it will be to get a demo for both. Shouldn't be too difficult as you'll probably find one or the other in your friends or relatives homes. Or you can go to tv showrooms which have dth running to show off the screens and check the quality there. Just don't tell them you're looking for PQ of the dth providers instead of the TVs available there.

Good luck with whatever you get. Go for a Dvr instead of a simple HD box if you can afford it. It's well worth the extra cost.
Don't know what's funny with 26" television? It was purchased almost 7 years ago anyway! I can see heaven and hell difference in it when I watch 720P movies from my S4 via MHL in comparison to my current SD cable! Also I'm not a person who likes huge TVs, distance is the main thing here. And for sound, I'll mainly watch Football, and I keep sound very low so it's the last thing I need to worry about tbh.
And thanks for your input.
I felt the PQ difference immediately on switching on NGC HD and Ten HD - Airtel is better in this aspect compared to D2H. However for SD channels there is no difference. BTW how big is your screen? The PQ difference may not be apparent in smaller screens like 32 ". Unfortunately I could not do a comparison by switching between the two service providers as my airtel STB became faulty.
Mine is a 26".

Last edited:
I don't think you understood what I said. My point was, the difference in quality between HD feeds of similar resolution of two dth signals will not be noticeable on a screen this small. I'm not talking about a sd feed and a 720p rip here. I'm talking about two heavily compressed mp4 streaming feeds which are both 1080i. Whatever the difference is between the two, it certainly won't be noticeable on a small 26" screen which can't even show the full resolution of these source. Maybe you'll see a difference if it was 1080p and you watched it from a couple of feet max. But in the current state, nope. It's just not possible to see any real difference here.

Simple rules of physics and human eye limitations. The smaller a picture is, the harder it'll be to find difference.

Owning a 720p 26" isn't funny. Funny is the delusion that you'll be able to see a difference between D2H and airtel 1080i feeds on this tv.

Unfortunately, I primarily use tatasky as its in my room and Videocon is in the living room so can't tell you how bad the rain interruptions are. Tatasky has been pretty good in rains though. I rarely have disconnection of more than a couple of minutes and that too when its raining really heavily.

I have heard about getting a bigger dish which resolves the rain issues in Videocon but since I don't really use mine much, I never really bothered to find out more about it. If you are still considering Videocon, maybe you should call them up and let your concerns be known. Hopefully they'll accommodate you with the bigger dish for free or atleast a reasonable cost.

with your kind of tv and sound does it really matter what connection you take?go for the cheapest , thats what i would say. but if by any chance you planning to upgrade to full hd tv then you need to really think about it. right now i think it doesnt matter if its, videocon or airtel or tatasky or for that matter even a govinda [lol] dish tv wouldnt show any changes.

with your kind of tv and sound does it really matter what connection you take?go for the cheapest , thats what i would say. but if by any chance you planning to upgrade to full hd tv then you need to really think about it. right now i think it doesnt matter if its, videocon or airtel or tatasky or for that matter even a govinda [lol] dish tv wouldnt show any changes.

Yeah, you're right. But I'm going for AirTel, not because of the PQ, because of the stability of connection. And yes I do have plan to switch to a Full HD 39", next year.
Thanks everyone for their inputs.

To experience an HD resolution, one needs minimum 40 inchor more. Less then that 720p is same as 1080p. Anyway my experience with Dish, TS and D2H is that, Dish was OK, but not great; TS was good and so is D2H. But TS, I think a notch better in PQ and overall. Also rain interuption D2H and Dish are bad, TS is really good, hardly any (except fro few mins in heavy rains). Costwise, and number chanelwise, D2H is way ahead of others. They are unlikely to get any closer soon.

FYI, I just now have shifted to D2H.

Did u get the Dvr or the regular stb?
The HD STB. DVR means with recording capability right? I don't need recording.
To experience an HD resolution, one needs minimum 40 inch or more. Less then that 720p is same as 1080p. Anyway my experience with Dish, TS and D2H is that, Dish was OK, but not great; TS was good and so is D2H. But TS, I think a notch better in PQ and overall. Also rain interuption D2H and Dish are bad, TS is really good, hardly any (except fro few mins in heavy rains). Costwise, and number chanelwise, D2H is way ahead of others. They are unlikely to get any closer soon.

FYI, I just now have shifted to D2H.
Thanks for your input. However I will not buy a T.V.above 40 inches, at least not for a small room as mine as 14x12. My parents won't allow, also I don't like it either especially after seeing a 42" Bravia at my friend's and realizing how awkward it looks. You said D2H has little problem with rain interruption, then may I know why did you switch to it? Only cost?

Last edited:
No one needs recording until they experience it first hand. Nothing better than being able to catch up with your fav programmes whenever you have the time. And not to mention, the ability to skip all the ads. Best part is, there is no degradation in PQ which you'd get with any other way of recording tv be it a PC capture card or a VCR (if anyone still uses those things) or anything else. It's made my TV viewing experience atleast ten times better if not more. Can't watch live tv for anything else other than the odd cricket match.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back