AKAI AP-002 Turntable

mbhangui

My journey with Vinyl started in this forum. I am still a newbie as far as turntables are concerned. Few weeks back I acquired a Kenwood KD-37R. I wrote about it here http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/22667-kenwood-kd-37r.html

However, the kenwood turntable looked a bit modern for my taste and my hunt for another turntable started. I came across an advt for Akai AP-002 turntable in olx.in and to the best of my luck, the seller was from this forum. Just few emails and calls exchanged, the turntable was packed to my address in Chennai professionally and in perfect condition. Thank you :) Hemant Waghe for this transaction, your gesture in giving me free LPs along with this beautiful piece of art.

Already in love with this turntable :yahoo:.

I opened it and found few things.

1) It has a big AC motor. The motor has a solid build and will last a lifetime. It also has the 'Made in Japan' tag. Can I use a fan speed regulator (thyristor control)?

2) It has two threads enclosed in plastic tubes which open up at the top just below the platter. There is a label "Oil" just at the opening. So to oil the bearings, one just needs to put few drops. The threads will use capillary action to take the oil to the bearings. Beautiful use of high school physics

3) My turntable came fitted with Shure M75EJ cartridge.

4) The turntable completed ~ 33.5 revs in 59 seconds.

5) The entire mechanism is so simple (including the automatic return), that any problem in the future can be rectified by using parts from my junk box.

6) Some of the springs have been made just by using a thick copper wire with one section folded into a 'V' shape. The 'V' Section then acts like a spring. Such springs can easily be fabricated at home.

7) The turntable has RCA out for the left, right channel and a terminal for the earth wire.

8) This is a belt driven turntable. The motor spindle has two wheels of differing sizes to provide 33.5 and 45 RPM speeds. A mechanical lever on the turntable operates a plastic fork to move the belt to the required spindle size. Again, I like that, speed control is simple physics rather than some fancy electronics.

9) I have again brought back the shine to the chrome parts by rubbing Johnson's Baby Oil on it and wiping it with cloth.

Few questions that I need help on

1) Does anyone know when this turntable was being manufactured?

2) Is there any way I can remove light scratches on the plastic top cover and make it exactly like new?

3) The ground wire for the right channel and left channel are not connected inside. The wires from the tone arm come independently to the left and right RCA out on the behind. They get connected together only when I connect the earth wire from the turntable to my AVR. So If I solder the connections inside, the ground wire will not be needed. Should I do that?

4) How good is Shure M75EJ? Should I retain this and only change the stylus when it gets worn out?

5) The motor sits on rubber bushes. They are fine now. I was thinking of constructing rubber bushes by searching the hardware market for a rubber pipe. I can then cut the rubber pipe to the required size. The difficulty I guess will be getting a rubber tube of the required diameter. I am wondering the rubber tubes that are used in doctor's stethoscopes can be used for this?

Last edited:
Hi M Bhangui,

Congrats!!! You have got yourself into the vinyl world which am sure you will enjoy to the fullest!!!

Have personally seen & heard this TT of yours @ Hemant's place & was almost tempted into buying it for myself :D Really well maintained by previous owner & am sure you will continue to look after it as well. Hemant really takes extra care to pack the stuff he ships out of mumbai, he scouts a lot for packing materials to ensure that the shipment reaches the buyer safe & sound.

So glad for you
:)

Hi M Bhangui,
Have personally seen & heard this TT of yours @ Hemant's place & was almost tempted into buying it for myself :D Really well maintained by previous owner & am sure you will continue to look after it as well. Hemant really takes extra care to pack the stuff he ships out of mumbai, he scouts a lot for packing materials to ensure that the shipment reaches the buyer safe & sound.
:)

Glad to hear this and yes I am going to maintain this thing. I love to see old audio equipment and old cars work in today's times. You are 100% right about Hemant. He went the extra mile in packing it and that ensured that nothing got damaged in transit.

I think this turntable is Pre 1973. I say this because I found from the net that AP-003 was manufactured in 1973. Sadly could not find anything about AP-002 on the net.

I came across an advt for Akai AP-002 turntable in olx.in and to the best of my luck, the seller was from this forum.

Congrats on your purchase!

1) It has a big AC motor. The motor has a solid build and will last a lifetime. It also has the 'Made in Japan' tag. Can I use a fan speed regulator (thyristor control)?

If it is an AC synchronous motor, it's speed will depend on line frequency
and not the voltage. So the fan regulator will not work.

2) Is there any way I can remove light scratches on the plastic top cover and make it exactly like new?

google for "site:audiokarma.org dust cover scratches"
There are some amazing results which people have got.

3) The ground wire for the right channel and left channel are not connected inside. The wires from the tone arm come independently to the left and right RCA out on the behind. They get connected together only when I connect the earth wire from the turntable to my AVR. So If I solder the connections inside, the ground wire will not be needed. Should I do that?

I have seen this mod being suggested on Audiokarma
for Dual tables, and I tried it on mine with no issues.

5) The motor sits on rubber bushes. They are fine now. I was thinking of constructing rubber bushes by searching the hardware market for a rubber pipe. I can then cut the rubber pipe to the required size. The difficulty I guess will be getting a rubber tube of the required diameter. I am wondering the rubber tubes that are used in doctor's stethoscopes can be used for this?

You may be able to use rubber grommets. They will be available on Ritchie Street
in various diameters, from electronics parts shops.
IMO, the sthethoscope rubber may not give sufficient isolation.

Congrats on your purchase!

If it is an AC synchronous motor, it's speed will depend on line frequency
and not the voltage. So the fan regulator will not work.

I have seen this mod being suggested on Audiokarma
for Dual tables, and I tried it on mine with no issues.

You may be able to use rubber grommets. They will be available on Ritchie Street in various diameters, from electronics parts shops.
IMO, the sthethoscope rubber may not give sufficient isolation.

Thank You indeed. You have given me plenty of useful information in one post. I was trying to recall the name 'rubber grommets'. Now I know what to ask :)

Thank you :) Hemant Waghe for this transaction, your gesture in giving me free LPs along with this beautiful piece of art.

Hemant is a good person to deal with. I have already made few transactions with him. In fact I was even considering to buy the TT which u have bought.

Enjoy your new treasure.

go to any optician selling sunglasses/spectacles....
they 'buff' these kinda things for abrand new sheen. basically buffing uniformly removes a fine layes of surface material including scratches resulting in a thinner sheet. thinner but brand new kind. ask them for a demo. its a cheap stuff too.

Finally after lot of late night search in google land, managed to find the year of manufacture for AP-002

"Akai AP-002 (1976)

Beautiful sound with excellent turntable Akai unit (PC-100), belt driven semi-automatic. Audio-Technika from contract gave the Akai PC-100 pickup device"

Akai

Now this leads to another question in my mind (of a newbie) - what does Akai PC-100 pickup device mean?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back