Akai UM - 55 Cassete Deck Head is worn out and need replacement

Tanoj

Hi Friends,

Iam in search for the Head ( Glass Head - original ) for my Akai UM - 55 cassette Deck, Any idea where can i source it from ?

From my experience, I can tell you that NOS Akai Glass Heads are quite rare and difficult to come by. Even if you manage to find a replacement, it may be quite expensive (much more expensive than the deck itself). Here's an example:

Akai Cassette Deck Super GX Replacement Head 2 RARE | eBay

The best approach would be to scout ebay and other websites for Akai Cassette decks (GX series) being sold for repair/parts, contact the seller and request him to remove and ship the head to you. The flip side of this approach is you'd never know what condition the head is going to be. Buying parts which are subject to wear and tear, on the pre-used market is always a risky affair.

Tanoj / Reuben / Others

If you find and expert there are replacement heads - which may give better performance.
In 2001-2 I had a good kenwood deck , my friend got some glass head ( that time I come to know there is something called glass head) from Lamigton Road ( his father being technician - had some knowledge) changed my head and performance increased by leaps & bounds!!

Now this is 10 year old , but still I think expertise is there. there may be finite typs of heads and you may get a replacement......

Experts please add / correct

yes indeed, not a bad idea to scout repair shops as if lucky, one can come across an old Akai GX series deck lying dead in some corner. Glass heads can be salvaged easily as their playing surfaces tend to last a life time. But from a quality perspective, I think the sendust heads were better (many may not agree to this view though)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back