Allo Boss Player 1.2

Thank you all for your help. I have been able to configure volumio and get spotify to play and use my iphone as the remote for spotify. Now the other two challenges that remain are how to enable Bluetooth and USB connections on the Boss......apart from spotify I have apple music, amazon music and Jiosaavn as streamers and music from my CDs in the Mcbook local disk.

You can connect your music files in your hard disk or pendrive directly to the USB ports and Volumio will be able to play it. But you cannot connect other players ( from laptop or smartphone) in the USB port and make use of only DAC.

For bluetooth, you will have to take subscription from Volumio as the free version doesn't have the bluetooth enabled.

Thank you for your response....this means that it is a weakness of the volumio sw and not the hw...in the volumio settings i had seen feature which enables digital and analog inputs on usb...and the BT enablement...so I am assuming that both BT and USB enablement is locked at volumio level....any other sw in place of volumio would enable them....!!

Thank you all for your help. I have been able to configure volumio and get spotify to play and use my iphone as the remote for spotify. Now the other two challenges that remain are how to enable Bluetooth and USB connections on the Boss......apart from spotify I have apple music, amazon music and Jiosaavn as streamers and music from my CDs in the Mcbook local disk.
What are your initial impressions in terms of sound quality?

Thank you for your response....this means that it is a weakness of the volumio sw and not the hw...in the volumio settings i had seen feature which enables digital and analog inputs on usb...and the BT enablement...so I am assuming that both BT and USB enablement is locked at volumio level....any other sw in place of volumio would enable them....!!

First of all you have chosen a player with a DAC and it's not an independent DAC which can take input from other digital sources. This is a player cum streamer and can be used as it is.

If you feel bluetooth is a required feature, yes it's a limitation of free version of Volumio. But you can chose other softwares like Moode Audio, which is again a free player with very good reputation for raspberry Pi. Bluetooth is available on Moode with other features like Spotify connect, airply, upnp etc. Have a try, you will like it.

What are your initial impressions in terms of sound quality?

Hi....in my opinion the SQ is very good. But please remember that I am not an audiophile....I am just a music aficionado.....but having said that the SQ is a substantial upgrade from my previous setup....which is Mcbook Air headphone jack output to the stereo amp RCA input.

First of all you have chosen a player with a DAC and it's not an independent DAC which can take input from other digital sources. This is a player cum streamer and can be used as it is.

If you feel bluetooth is a required feature, yes it's a limitation of free version of Volumio. But you can chose other softwares like Moode Audio, which is again a free player with very good reputation for raspberry Pi. Bluetooth is available on Moode with other features like Spotify connect, airply, upnp etc. Have a try, you will like it.

Thank you for your suggestions. There is a little history behind this purchase. I had bought a Chinese SMSL DAC and an amp in America which was being brought back by a returning friend. But then I wanted to cancel the Chinese stuff and give an Indian make product a try in my mainly British-made stereo music setup. So I had extensive chats with Allo representatives on my requirement...which is streaming 5 sources...Apple music, Spotify, Jiosaavn, Amazon music and Youtube...if not directly then at least over BT or connecting my Mac over USB. Also, I am not a tinkerer or a DIY guy....so needed something which is pretty much plug-n-play.

I guess I am becoming a tinkerer by having to DIY to enable what I want from this box...:)..

Hi....in my opinion the SQ is very good. But please remember that I am not an audiophile....I am just a music aficionado.....but having said that the SQ is a substantial upgrade from my previous setup....which is Mcbook Air headphone jack output to the stereo amp RCA input.
That’s good man.
The fact that you’ve tried to improve sound of your MacBook Air by getting Allo Boss makes you an audiophile, alright!
Happy listening man.
Cheers!

Thank you for your suggestions. There is a little history behind this purchase. I had bought a Chinese SMSL DAC and an amp in America which was being brought back by a returning friend. But then I wanted to cancel the Chinese stuff and give an Indian make product a try in my mainly British-made stereo music setup. So I had extensive chats with Allo representatives on my requirement...which is streaming 5 sources...Apple music, Spotify, Jiosaavn, Amazon music and Youtube...if not directly then at least over BT or connecting my Mac over USB. Also, I am not a tinkerer or a DIY guy....so needed something which is pretty much plug-n-play.

I guess I am becoming a tinkerer by having to DIY to enable what I want from this box...:)..

If you enable UPNP renderer in volumio and use an app like bubbleupnp on android, or if you enable airplay for apple devices you will be able to stream tidal, qobuz and local music files from your mobile devices. This feature is available in Volumio in free version I guess. Otherwise you should avail myvolumio subscription, there you have more features unlocked.

But as you mentioned to be a "tinkerer", you are welcome to try other softwares.. :) Moode is definitely a better choice, I am using it.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back