Almost completed my HT room.

In my case i had dedicated a year to make my Mini Theatre so there is a zero issue of not being able to dedicate time and there was no odd desire to enter the home theatre world in one shot. The desire was to make a good theatre at one shot irrespective of the trouble etc. :p :p :p

It can be done in one shot by venturing carefully and still have the latest. :)

V.

Photos coming up-Santosh came by today and took some photos with his phone, he will upload them asap. I have some house guests so may need a little more time..

Had been to George's place today to collect some toy (NAD 1020A Preamp for my Vintage system) that he was kind enough to carry for me from Chennai.

Got an opportunity to experience his Home Theater Room. Very tastefully & neatly done up. George has a huge collection of Music Videos. I chose to watch a video of Andrea Bocelli and enjoyed it thoroughly. Speakers are DIY Audex built by George - 2 MTMs and a massive center channel. The HT is functional with some minor work still pending.

Here are some pictures that I took. Kindly pardon the images as they have been shot using my phone.

c5526b16.jpg

f3e84625.jpg

d04812d0.jpg

9e580589.jpg

4fd12678.jpg

Thanks Santhosh, Anil, avidyarthy. It's taken a while but at the end despite the winding turns, I can say that the end result is worth the while..

Anil-we will set up a session once the loose ends are tied up a bit more- a little more wiring for the rear surrounds will be done shortly.Right now I havent connected up a sub which I hope to do this week, along with some other small things. Thanks to friends I currently have a lot of content to view, and am investing in a couple more 2TB drives by the end of the year, bringing my storage capacity to around 14TB.

I will also take some more photos sometime this week and add them to what Santhosh has taken. Santhosh's second picture shows the rear wall which has a lift opening to the basement in the centre of the photo-the stainless steel automatic doors are not covered with acoustic materials. Behind the screen is an area which is a court with a skylight 18 feet above the floor, so that HT sound from the basement if played loudly can get a bit obtrusive in the ground floor!

I'll be happy to answer any questions should anyone want to know more.

I am sure it is the 2 mins that caught your goat ;)
Out of a lot of women (music lovers) I know, there is only one who has taken the effort to get herself a decent system...
Absolutely Vinny, that was the frustrating bit. Very few women like the one you mention who are particular about the audio equipment as well. For most, an iPod is the ultimate music device.

First of all thanks for being kind enough to share the experience and pics of your HT room.

Those rectangles fitted in the wall (Shown in first pic), do they act as some kind of sound absorbers

Kindly give details like Room size, Materials used for roof,wall,floor.

Have lots of joyful days with your HT room. Enjoy!!!

UKJeyaraj

My very first post( I believe it's the fifth para) gave details of room size as well as the panels on the wall. The panels use Anutone boards, of 4 ft X 2 ft mounted on mdf frames, with Anutone's synth material glued behind the boards. I used a jute blended fabric to cover the wood wool boards, to make them look more aesthetic.

Sweet set up George. Having a dedicated HT room in itself makes a huge difference and you have nice gear to complete the HT experience. ENJOY...

Nicely done, George, Congrats. Am sure Andrea Bocelli and all the other music video's will be a treat to listen to and watch on the setup. :)

UKJeyaraj

Forgot to mention that the main HT room had its own set of challenges while building. Being a low lying area, the initial soil tests pointed to a masonry foundation.The excavation work started (luckily) during the monsoon and we found to our horror that the water table gets quite high.The foundation had to be redesigned to a raft foundation-RCC for all the walls and floor, with additional waterproofing provided from the outside. As you can imagine this pushed up the cost a bit, but it has been worth it. This year's rains were more than usual and no leakage or seepage is to be seen.

The floor was a cement finish since I knew that some flooring would be done later, I opted for carpet, from a local source that Santhosh suggested. There are a whole raft of options including carpet tiles which are of 20 inches square and cost about Rs 60/sft, laid. I opted for a lower cost Nepali product,pp carpeting at about 23/sft laid, also used by Santhosh. The adhesive has a horrible , toxic smell that permeates the house for a while, luckily my wife and I went off on a 2 day trip a few hours after it was laid and by the time we got back it was gone!

Sweet looking set up, GeorgeO! I am particularly intrigued by screen placement - Did you purposely left screen hanging in mid air? Won't it sway?
Are you also planning to replace 4:3 screen with 16:9?

Yes, I have a 16:9 Dalite screen that is to be unpacked and installed. I had an Optoma 4:3 screen that I had installed and planned to use with my older Panasonic AE 100, so I am using it for the time being, will pull the other screen out and re position my speakers, since the new one is a bit wider.

The screen has to be pulled down only when in use, because the basement has a lot of natural light coming in through the skylight which opens to the court behind the screen. If the screen is pulled down then the light gets obstructed. I wasn't keen to spend big bucks at this time for an electrically operated screen-I felt that getting the HD projector was money better spent.

Thanks Manoj

You guys in the US have access to many things that we here can drool about, but all things considered, we can do reasonably ok too.

Grubyhalo

Your imagination is not mistaken.

Those are for 2 channel audio(Focal kevlars and Raven R1s in an MTM enclosure-another D'Appolito design, the AriaR)

Ajay

I think it is reasonably acoustically transparent, though the weave is just a wee bit tighter that I would have liked.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back